Before i drill (NF)

mercman

Spent the day yesterday installing the trolling motor and electronics on the new ride.Last thing now is to mount the transducer.In a cold sweat just thinking about drilling a hole in the hull. Share your tricks pleaseworthy.gif

Are you putting a positioning motor on your ride or is this a transom mounted kicker ?

The Bow finder is mounted on the bow mount trolling motor, the console finder will be on the transom.I like the look of the transom mounting platesgood.gif

Thanks guysclapping.gif

Just buy a cutting board (like we use in the kitchen) and cut it the size and shape you want it to be, Paul. It's the same stuff. Just ensure that it's thicker than the length of the ducer screws. Also, keep the tranducer 18" away or more than the center line of the main motor and away from any chines. Transducer must be paralel to the water and not to the hull. I don't remember if that boat has a V transom.

Just buy a cutting board (like we use in the kitchen) and cut it the size and shape you want it to be, Paul. It's the same stuff. Just ensure that it's thicker than the length of the ducer screws. Also, keep the tranducer 18" away or more than the center line of the main motor and away from any chines. Transducer must be paralel to the water and not to the hull. I don't remember if that boat has a V transom.

Its a modified V hull. Good idea for the cutting board. I think Billy Bob mentioned this idea to me also, a while back, but im getting oldwhistling.gif Humminbird instructions are so complicated.They talk about transon angle and all kinds a stuff. I'll finger it out.

How did you hide or attach your transducer wire to your trolling motor.

I taped it to the shaft !!

JK rofl2.gif

I attached it with a tie wrap, 1 at the bottom just above the motor unit, and 1 at the top, just under the head unit. I raised and lowered the motor, and the wire is clear of all moving parts.

Will that work ?dunno.gif

Paul, to get HIGH SPEED reading from a transom mounted transducer you should "SLIGHTLY" tilt the transducer forward so the beam is shooting towards the bow....this will insure water flows over the complete transducer. If not you can lose high speed readings because only the forward part of the transducer will skim the water.....I can't believe no instruction manual ever mentions this.

Bob

But if you put the boat level, and install the transducer level with the bottom of the boat, wont the transducer be slight tilted towards the front once the boat is in the water? The stern is normally slightly lower than the bow when the boat is in the water.dunno.gif

I taped it to the shaft !!

JK rofl2.gif

I attached it with a tie wrap, 1 at the bottom just above the motor unit, and 1 at the top, just under the head unit. I raised and lowered the motor, and the wire is clear of all moving parts.

Will that work ?dunno.gif

Is it a cable steer or power steer? If it is cable steer make sure you have enough slack in the cable for the motor to turn.

Just a thought Budd..

Mabey you shoudnt be in such a rush to get everything done all at once?

If my bett is right you probably wont be going out until Fryday .Take your time because all the modifications you make now you will have to live with as long as you have the

boat?

What im trying to say is dont be in a rush to make modifications .This is your boat and you will have lots of time to figure out the best options in order to make the proper modifications that you will be happy with for years to follow.

NICE BOAT DUDE!!thumbsup_anim.gif

Last year, used Mr. Sticky's Poly Bonder to glue piece of 1/2" Starboard to aluminum transom. Glue held well, no screws, until end of winter, when expansion between materials caused the plastic to pop off.

The piece I had on was not flush with the surface of the transom and needed bending with a heat gun. I believe the piece would have stayed on if this was done.

This year, went ahead and drilled two holes in the hull(with starboard in position) below the waterline, used 1" stainless steel bolts/washers/nuts with 3M 5200 sealant, (tightened nut against hull-bolt head inside boat) then used Mr. Sticky's Polybonder on the starboard holding further with 2 extra nuts on the protruding stainless steel screws.

Prior to mounting, drilled through the Starboard at the appropriate place and put two bolts through so that transducer could be attached using nuts on the bolts instead of screws to the plastic. Can easily be removed for storage etc.

I was hesitant to drill any holes last year, but once knowing how the transducer was going to work in its position, decided on a permanent mounting.

Mr. Sticky's Polybonder is available from Pride Marine in Kingston, ON mail order from their website and the glue manufacturer has told me that their 'web bond' epoxy product will also work for this application and is available at Home Hardware.

Just a thought Budd..

Mabey you shoudnt be in such a rush to get everything done all at once?

If my bett is right you probably wont be going out until Fryday .Take your time because all the modifications you make now you will have to live with as long as you have the

boat?

What im trying to say is dont be in a rush to make modifications .This is your boat and you will have lots of time to figure out the best options in order to make the proper modifications that you will be happy with for years to follow.

NICE BOAT DUDE!!thumbsup_anim.gif

Don, thats probably the smartest thing i've heard so far.That will be exactly what i will do.No Rush after allclapping.gif

But if you put the boat level, and install the transducer level with the bottom of the boat, wont the transducer be slight tilted towards the front once the boat is in the water? The stern is normally slightly lower than the bow when the boat is in the water.dunno.gif

Paul, mount it the way you think will be best. However, if you lose readings at high speed readjust the transducer on click forward so the complete surface of the transducer skims the water...problem solved.

Now go catch a fish.... :thumbsup_anim:

Bob

Eager to get on the water but reluctant to drill a hole in a new boat, I once removed one of the rings on the back that you hook your tie downs to, took a piece of wood, maybe 3/4 " thick and 1 1/2" or so wide, drilled two holes at the top to match the spacing on the ring and then cut it just shy of the bottom of the hull , replaced the ring and mounted the transducer on it . Was a while too before I got up the nerve to put the drill to her :whistling: