What would it take to leave your job?

jedimaster

As others have said, money isn't everything.

But if the new employer is offering more benefits, money etc.

It's definately worth looking into especially how you say that your current employer wouldn't think twice about dumping you if they thought they could get away with out you.

4 years ago I decided I didn't like working for my current employer and wanted better. Took about 6 weeks to get offered one of them high paying, comes with a pension gubermint jobs.

I have basically trippled my salary in the last 5 years and am very happy with my employer, so even if I am offered 10 or 20K a year more I will be staying put.

Banks are excellent businesses to work for, especially the big ones as they offer great benefits and a stable work enviroment. When I first got into IT in the early 2000's I did a lot of contract work for BMO and they were very good people to work with.

It sounds to me that you are afraid of the uncertainty of the change, but if you think about it moving to the larger outfit could definately benefit you in the long run as you will most likely be able to get extra training and move up the ladder into a position better than your current one. I was lucky in that it only took me about 6 or 7 years to move up from tech to management.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :good:

Well, from an employeers perspective, an ultimatium from an employee ie, "I've been offered more money...." would have you walking out the door about as quickly as I could get rid of you! I would take it as a threat.

Now, if you came to me and said "boss, I've been looking at the cost of traveling, what others in my position are getting paid for the same work that I am doing, and while I really don't want to leave, I have to consider it, is there anything we could work out?" I would probably do what ever I could to find a way to work with you!

From an employees perspective I would have to say that job security is worth a lot more than the promise of things to come.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you good luck!

About 400 baits sold a month I would leave my job it would be amazing to work from home on lures what a dream job.

I know how you feel about weighing options as my place of work has gone down hill in the last couple years and really fast over the last 1.5 years but where I am in seniority it keeps me here I would love to go else where but I get a lot of home time and can choose what I do daily for work.

Yep .. I am with Wayne 110%... the loyalty card has to work both ways - I have lost MANY nights sleep wondering how I am gonna take care of my guys through the tough times ... if you want to talk about your needs then do it ... but if you want to talk about walking ... I'll help you pack and wish you only the best.

burning the candel at both ends never works!!!

the main concideration is what do you want?? money?/ family?/or any other reason.??

aproaching your cururant employer with a altimatem is STUPID.

dont burn bridges.

ie.

if you feel the need to confront your current employer in the hope of getting more monney.

than there is no loyayty.??

your screwwed!!

often to advance your career you need to be honest with yourself first.!

not play the trick.

just my take on things.

don

In a past career my lack of advancement prompted me to look elsewhere within the same company. I was surprised when my VP called me in one day and said don't sign anything (had no idea anybody knew I was looking) and I received a promotion from him within the week. I concur with the messages above in that blackmail or threats won't work. However, if you receive an offer and then approach your employer with a sympathetic tone about leaving, you won't burn the bridge and they just might look to compete with the offer. Just don't share any news about an offer until they show interest in keeping you.

Another point, my wife works in the tech industry and in her experience, she found sometimes making a lateral move will open up a better opportunity that wouldn't have come along otherwise. So you may not eventually retire from the bank but it may pave the way to a better career path.

Good luck.

A few years ago I walked away from what most would consider a dream job. Factors that influenced that decision:

1. Burnout. I was just plain tired of doing what I had been doing, and it was no longer rewarding.

2. Advancement opportunity. I went from a smaller company with little chance of further advancement to a much larger company with more room for long-term growth.

3. Money. I had an opportunity for a significant pay increase right from the get-go.

What I gave up:

1. I lost a bit of personal flexibility when I accepted those Golden Handcuffs that HH mentioned above.

2. I had to accept a much longer commute.

3. Being in a position where I could do my job on autopilot, and went to being the "new guy" and being continually questioned and tested.

4. I used to just wear jeans and a t-shirt, now I wear business attire or a suit. "Wardrobe" remains an expense.

Trade-offs:

1. Benefits. I gave up some real beauties, but gained other, new ones that are even more attractive.

2. Gained an opportunity to take on new responsibilities, although that required me going back to school for a couple of years.

At the end of the day I'm very glad I made the move. Switching to the larger company was a lateral move, but it opened a door. I gained some experience and trust, then advanced to a better position than I started at. I went back to university (nights and weekends) for a couple of years, which opened the door to another, better position (still in the same company) and I have moved up the totem pole again since.

Don't change jobs because one will pay you a bit more for doing the same thing. Change jobs because of what the position can allow you to achieve five years or 10 years down the road.

In a past career my lack of advancement prompted me to look elsewhere within the same company. I was surprised when my VP called me in one day and said don't sign anything (had no idea anybody knew I was looking) and I received a promotion from him within the week. I concur with the messages above in that blackmail or threats won't work. However, if you receive an offer and then approach your employer with a sympathetic tone about leaving, you won't burn the bridge and they just might look to compete with the offer. Just don't share any news about an offer until they show interest in keeping you.

Another point, my wife works in the tech industry and in her experience, she found sometimes making a lateral move will open up a better opportunity that wouldn't have come along otherwise. So you may not eventually retire from the bank but it may pave the way to a better career path.

Good luck.

Doing this is also a career limiting move.

HH

I wasn't looking, I don't think I have ever really looked for a job.

I get a half dozen emails from recruiters every day, most just go to the junk mail and I rarely actually respond to them the phone calls are particularly annoiying. I guess this one caught my eye on the right day I guess.

I can assure you that my skills are up to date, current and top notch for what I do. Thats why I get recruited all the time.

As for the comment if I was good enough my current employer would pay me more is a bit illinformed. In some cases yes this could be the case. However, at my pay rate its often a stretch for companies that I work for to just get me in the door, let alone bone up an extra 30%. Thats a fair bit of money your talking about. Anyway, Its not something I would ask any employer, to match an offer, I find it a bit underhanded. If I wanted more money from this company I would just ask for it, I don't think they can really afford to put that money out, and it would over price my positions worth in this company. In this line the only way to make a significant increase is to go to a larger company with deeper pockets and a bigger Org Chart.

I actually took a fairly deep pay cut a few years ago to lower my workload going from contract to perm positions, however with expenses going up every year and fishing season pressing with so many new toys on the wish list I guess its time to test the water.

Well I wouldn't suggest anyone commit job/career suicide. :wallbash: I guess every industry is a little different. There are some out there where employers & employees have the kind of relatioship/interaction where a NON-THREATENING type conversation could take place about interest from a potential suitor. I honestly wouldn't have thought of it myself early on in my real world experience, until the day I gave my notice at work years ago. I gave appropriate notice to my branch manager. The next day he had the regional manager prepared on a conference call to have a 'conversation'. Assumed it was going to be an exit type interview. :dunno: Well, among other things, they wanted to know what was being offered to motivate me to make the change etc. Up until this point I had no intentions of asking them for anything, however as a result of THEIR inquiring, I did end up staying and actually being promoted in relatively short order with a branch office of my own. My EMPLOYER taught ME that these conversations can happen without committing 'suicide' as some have called it. Hey, if you've already got a foot half out the door, it can't do much more harm "if the relationship is right" to have a conversation. I have tried to nurture this type of relationship with those who have subsequently worked under me. There is nothing wrong with, as an emloyer or boss, being approachable to discuss opportunity. Lets face it, with the average length of time spent at any one job being in the neighbourhood of 7 years, It's kind of naive as an employer to think that people aren't keeping their eyes open for other potential opportunity from either outside or within. :)

Not a chance Twocoda.. as Headhunter pointed out above trying the leverage trick is just suicide.

I always asked any of our supervisors, or set up techs, that tried that if they needed a hand loading their toolbox and took over their shift 5 minutes later.

I'm with Wayne and HH on this one too! I have never heard a single case where this didn't backfire. My previous employer would tolerate a lot of crap from the employees, but ultimatums were not well received!

I'm with Wayne and HH on this one too! I have never heard a single case where this didn't backfire. My previous employer would tolerate a lot of crap from the employees, but ultimatums were not well received!

Anyone who gives an ultimatum should expect to be on shaky ground!

Every place I have left, I have always been offered more to stay, the what can we do to convince you to stay talk, the reality though for my position for me to move up in the ladder is not really possible as I am at the top rung in my field. The only advancement is that of a larger company, more staff, moreservers, more computers etc...

Although the money has always been better moving on, thats never been the sole factor for doing so.

Seems like a lot of bosses here have very fragile egos if an employee can "threaten" them just saying they have a better offer. If your employees aren't being sought out by other companies then why the heck do you even want them working for you? It is because you need someone who is easy to control? Or is it because you find it easier to manage people who have no drive to better themselves or their lot in life? I have always considered it a compliment that the people I have trained, nutured and mentored, are in high demand by companies in the same industry....

Doing this is also a career limiting move.

HH

Assuming you are committed to going and/or committed to staying, my experience has been it is anything but a career limiting move. Sharing your ambitious plans and offering your current employer the courtesy of not just receiving a resignation letter is generally appreciated, especially in smaller companies.

Every time I do an interview I always ask. "Where do you see yourself in 2 years" If the answer is anything but something bigger and better I don't hire them. I would rather have an employee that is looking to step up rather than sit in one place.

• 3 weeks later...

It would take a pretty big piece of chain and someone strong like Paul Bunyan pulling the other way. Imagine, they make me ride this thing, or a snowmobile in winter and a truck whenever I don't feel like either of the others.2011_0507_083026AA.JPG

Edited by Fisherman