RV'ing to the Maritimes

MSBruno

Looks like we're going to do the Toronto round trip to the Martimes for the last 2 weeks in August this summer. It'll be my wife and I along with another couple who has family in Cheticamp which we'll be there for 3-4 days. The rest of the trip is wide open right now, so I'm looking for ideas of where to go. I've ben on the local tourism boards, but looking for some first hand knowledge. I have clearance to look for fishing oppourtunities at RV parks, so any RV parks that have great fishing are a must!

Has anyone done this and willing to share? We've had reccommended to us:

Bay of Fundy

Cabot Trail

Peggy's Cove

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Been east many times. Lots to see, it just depends on your tastes and what it is you want to do.

Bay of Fundy is huge. Best place to take it all in is probably Hopewell Rocks, about halfway up the NB side. The tides really are unbelievable there, and there's a good RV park right at the rocks so yo can hang. A little farther south is the town of Alma, NB, at the entrance to Fundy National Park. Park is great (watch for moose on the roads) and there's a restaurant/hotel in Alma with awesome seafood. Tides there are pretty amazing too - when the tide goes out all the boats in the harbour basically sit on bottom. There's a creek at Alma with brook trout in it.

Most of the creeks in east NB have brookies, for that matter, and several have salmon, but LOTS of closures and special regs to protect the Atlantics. Check the regs before you fish anywhere - they'e pretty serious about protecting those fish. You can usually catch mackerel and other fish from the piers (on Cleos) and that's just a lot less hassle.

Cabot Trail is awesome - something everyone must see at one point in their life. You can fish the Margaree River for salmon and brookies. Lots of huge hills, so driving an RV will be an adventure, to put it mildly. Make bloody sure you have good brakes, because there are some sheer drops and really long, steep grades. Lots of moose there, tons of grouse, and you're pretty much guaranteed to see whales if you go whale watching along the north coast. Only problem is, it's often foggy so you could go and not see as much as you would like. Cabot Trail is like that - you take your chances with the weather any time you visit.

Peggy's Cove is great if you're a big fan of tour buses full of Japanese with video cameras. Otherwise, it's pretty over-rated. Think Niagara Falls on a summer weekend. It's pretty if you can see past the tour groups, but it's a five minute stop, max. IMHO, it's just not worth the 45 - 50 minute drive from Halifax since there are literally hundreds of other scenic little coves that look exactly like it all through the Maritimes. Peggy's Cove is pretty, but not exactly unique.

You didn't mention PEI, and it's probably the best spot of all. Forget the Anne of Green Gables tourist crap in Cavendish, and instead check out the west end of the Island, the east end around Montague, or the north part around Rustico. It's absolutely gorgeous and the seafood is the best you'll ever have - period. You can rent kayaks in a lot of spots (and jig for all kinds of bottom fish), and they still do tuna charters in many ports along the north coast. Expensive, but you have an honest shot at a fish the size of your sofa.

The Gaspe Peninsula in eastern Quebec is also absolutely gorgeous. The people are great, food's great, great facilities for the camper and lots of brookies and even a few salmon in the rivers. The Restigouche River, right on the NB - Quebec border, still gets the largest Atlantics on the east coast.

That should get you started. Feel free to PM if you want more info.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

When your in NB hit the Miramichi River ....Fly fishing only ....bring some light gear for the millions of creeks youll cross on your adventure (loaded with brookies)..NS hit up the Salmon river or jump on a charter same for PEI jump on a charter and dont forget to get your fill of lobster....crap now im thinking i need a road trip too...

Im jealous ...have a great time the people of the maritimes are golden with information to steer you into a fishing hole or two...not because they are stupid...but because they are amongst the kindest people in the world...

Your going to love this adventure...take lots of pics..

Dont forget to read the regs of any body of water you fish and acquire your license as needed

Cheers

Well said Craig!

Edited by Twocoda

Everything that Craig said, and then some, although when I was at Peggy's Cove 27 years ago it was early morning and we nearly had the place to ourselves. Guess things have changed over time :lol:

We've taken a motorhome to the coast 3 times now and every trip has been fantastic. There's just sooooo many beautiful places to see you'll never even come close in one trip but you'll have a fantastic time seeing whatever you can.

On one trip we took the St. Lawrence River route and crossed down into New Brunswick and then did PEI and on 2 other trips we took the ferry across Lake Champlaine (sp) then went thru Vermont, New Hampshire and up into Nova Scotia from there.

Whatever route you take you'll have one of your best vacations ever and meet some of the nicest folks you'll ever come across.

Edited by lew

CAPE SABLE ISLAND

The mackeral should be running park on the beach and hit the causeway silver spoons and or long lead jigs get some perry winkles off the rocks make a fire on the beech and have a feed

Friendly people

snack shack at West Head warf best fried clams and lobster rolls on the planet

stop in and see my granny

Peter

My family (my 2 boys, wife and myself), spent 2 weeks out that way last year and had a blast. Here's what we enjoyed.......

- Cabot Trail is a must. Make sure your brakes are good though!! LOL Every guard rail is covered with paint from various makes and models of vehicles! LOL

- Joggins Fossil Centre was a great way to spend the day.

- Fortress of Louisbourg was very interesting

- Hideaway campground was a great spot to relax for a few days. Lots of great sites over looking the ocean.

- PEI is a must!!! Beautiful scenery. We camped at Linkletter Provincial Park in Summerside for 5 days. Great sites right on the ocean as well.

- Meat Cove had the best clam chowder!!

All in all it was an amazing drive. We, well I did the drive home from PEI in one shot.....17hrs straight & 1725kms. :) Everyone was super nice and the seafood was second to none. I think the most enjoyable part was not having any plans. We just packed up, and went, not knowing where we were going to end up. We really enjoyed stopping in all the little coves and fishing villages along the way. Pictou was a fun little town.

Our entire 2 week trip took us a total of 5725kms. I'd do it again for sure!

Have fun!

Colin

You must go to Margaree Forks to the Margaree. Its stunning and the people are amazing there. Make sure to make a stop at the Dancing Goat (a little eatery by the salmon museum). Sandwiches and soup fill us for a full day of salmon chasing!! Reminds me - I have to send in the Keiths inspiration and Rick James B&tch flies to the museum lol.

Guys were asking where they could by them. Just drunken ties, but deadly lol.

You will love it. Amazing.

Super thread! :thumbsup_anim: Sue and I are planning to take a month in 2012 (we are thinking June) and head East. We both love almost any kind of sea food but lobster would be very high on our list. Any ideas of where the best lobster would be available that time of the year? We are thinking of just staying in little B&Bull and such, just be nomads for a month.

I'll be watching this thread for thoughts and ideas!

Any ideas of where the best lobster would be available that time of the year?

Cliff, Shediac, New Brunswick is nicknamed the "Lobster Capital of the World" although I'm sure the town tourist board of the day came up with the name :lol:

We did have some excellent lobster when we were there although it was mid-summer. Don't know if time of year makes a difference with lobster though :dunno:

Cliff, Shediac, New Brunswick is nicknamed the "Lobster Capital of the World" although I'm sure the town tourist board of the day came up with the name :lol:

We did have some excellent lobster when we were there although it was mid-summer. Don't know if time of year makes a difference with lobster though :dunno:

When we lived in Milton our neighbour use to get a bunch of lobster flown back on the May 24 weekend every year. Being that he was from the East coast I figured that was probably the best time to get it but from what I understand the seasons are open at different times in different areas. I'm looking for fresh from the trap into the pot kind of lobster and lots of it LOL.

ok ok ok, all I gots to say is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

YER GOING TO MEET THE BEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD DOWN THERE. :clapping::canadian:

Enjoy yer trip.

TAKE LOTS OF PICS PLEASE AND POST.

Totally jealous.

I grew up in Margaree,you're heading down inbetween snowcrab and blue fin tuna.I usually go down last week of july.Margaree river should be full of atlantic salmon,the bottom of gallants brook is honey hole,.The cape Breton highlands are full of speckles,bring a coleman stove,those cheticampers should know a spot .Lots of awesome hiking ,sunrise trail,top of french mountain if you're into seeing big moose in full velvet.Go early ,thats what i did.If I dont make it down there this year ,have a keiths for me.

WoW!! I'm gonna follow this one..

We had planned to do something similar this summer as well... but with the price of gas ... It's on the back burner right now..maybe next year. :(

Simple math tells me that my Expedition and 30' Mallard would cost us roughly 2700.00$ round trip, in gas alone... :wallbash:

cheaper for us to go to Costa Rica for Christmas.

Well, if you want the real east coast experience, you HAVE to get off the mainland. The newfies know how to take care of ya. The mainlanders are just like everyone else, but the newfs are the best people on the planet!! You have to go there to understand that. I'm not kidding!!!

S.

Not sure if it will be in season, but if McDonalds is advertising their McLobster sandwich, they are pretty good. Otherwise keep your eyes open for Lobster Rolls. Good place is Ollies on the highway between St. John and St. Andrews.

The Maritime (Fisheries?) Museum in Lunenburg should not be missed if you are in the area. Bluenose II docked here as well. You can also buy an authentic dory down at the waterfront.

Well, if you want the real east coast experience, you HAVE to get off the mainland. The newfies know how to take care of ya. The mainlanders are just like everyone else, but the newfs are the best people on the planet!! You have to go there to understand that. I'm not kidding!!!

S.

Agree with this 100% however would strongly recommend a Newfoundland trip should take at least 2 weeks on its own. A lot of territory to cover and ferry crossings as well.

Agree with this 100% however would strongly recommend a Newfoundland trip should take at least 2 weeks on its own. A lot of territory to cover and ferry crossings as well.

Your right, I just had to put it out there!! Most people will do their "down east" trip, and never make it to the rock. Every person I know who has been there will tell you the same thing. You just don't find people like that anywhere else!!

S.

Cabot trail is amazing.

Hit Pictou and see the Ship Hector that brought the first Scottish settlers. Cape John and River John are really nice on the Sunrise trail I think it is called.

Out the other way is Digby with the highest tides in the world. When the tide is out the boats are waaaaaaaaaay down the docks sitting on the little wood block kickstands. Digby is the home of the worlds lrgest scallop fleet. You can take the drive out along that super skinny peninsula to Brier Island (Westport) and take the Whale Watching tour. Costs about 50 bucks a head and is absolutely awesome (I can not remember what whales are what months), we were lucky enough to see the Humpbacks.

Halifax also has great restaurants and a really cool bayside patio scene.

Anywhere you go in Nova Scotia is a good choice. You will have a blast.

I edited to add this link I found to the whale watching tours.

http://www.brierislandwhalewatch.com/index.htm

Edited by Grimace