Purchasing a firearm in US and bringing back to Canada

Rattletrap2

I'm curious as to whether any of you have tried to purchase a non-restricted rifle in the US and brought it back to Canada?

I'm only considering a .22, but has anyone had any experience with this? I'm thinking it is more hassle than it is worth? I could not find stock here of the gun i want and will be spending a considerable amount of time across the border.

Thanks

The US passed new legislation in February 2003 which makes it illegal for a ‘non-resident alien’ to come into possession of a firearm in the US. This does not apply to antiques or muzzle-loading firearms, nor does it apply to Canadians with legal residency in the US or to US citizens, regardless of their residency. A Canadian may purchase a firearm in the US but cannot take possession of it, nor can they export it from the US.
Edited by BillM

I'm curious as to whether any of you have tried to purchase a non-restricted rifle in the US and brought it back to Canada?

I'm only considering a .22, but has anyone had any experience with this? I'm thinking it is more hassle than it is worth? I could not find stock here of the gun i want and will be spending a considerable amount of time across the border.

Thanks

[/quo

Definetly not a good idea! Not to mention posting the idea on line?

Guest gbfisher

What are you lookig for? Have you thought about buying used? There are very early shows every Sunday.

http://www.ontariogunshows.com/

I used to go to them every weekend before by friends crazy collector father died. Was cool to see what was there. Im sure you can find what you are looking for unless it's some target special. :dunno: Try Canada firarms. I know that my buddies father received guns in the mail from all over the world. Was a hassle sometimes that I can recall.

Good luck...Plinking is fun! :good:

Edited by gbfisher

The US passed new legislation in February 2003 which makes it illegal for a ‘non-resident alien’ to come into possession of a firearm in the US. This does not apply to antiques or muzzle-loading firearms, nor does it apply to Canadians with legal residency in the US or to US citizens, regardless of their residency. A Canadian may purchase a firearm in the US but cannot take possession of it, nor can they export it from the US.

I don't know what the laws are pertaining to a Canadian purchasing a legal firearm in the USA.....but I have read this quote several times and to me at least it doesn't make any sense as far as the last sentence...

Why would anyone (Canadian) purchase a firearm that they cannot take possession of or export it from the USA (to Canada)...

Where did this quote come from ? ? ? :dunno:

Contact your local gun dealer and see if he can get a USA gun transfered to Canada. I think though it would be cheaper for him to get it from his source in Canada. Good Luck and hold out until you get the gun you want.

Art

I took it to mean he was asking about doing it legally and how much of a hassle it might be. :dunno:

Thanks Kickingfrog, of course I was talking about doing it legally! Seems like with the legislation in place currently, it is not even a matter of hassle, but that it cannot be done.

Most of what I found online pertained to an American bringing a gun into Canada, not a resident going South to purchase one.

Call customs....

I know a guy who did this back in November.

He had to call Customs and arrange for a temporary permit of sorts.

He then had to declare it, the customs agents pulled him over and inspected it....he was on his way in 15minutes

Does not sound like a hassel to me for a deal he got?

I'd call them as THEY are the ones whom will be responsible for allowing you to cross that little white line.

Cheers,

It basically means you can't buy a firearm in the US unless you are a legal resident of that country. There is another section that I'll post which says you need to use a broker if you want to bring a gun over. I should have posted it all at once, lol!!

well you can bring guns back and forth over the border to hunt

so couldn't you buy the gun have them send you all the info

register it in canada

then go pick up your gun and produce all the legal paper work at the border?????

well you can bring guns back and forth over the border to hunt

so couldn't you buy the gun have them send you all the info

register it in canada

then go pick up your gun and produce all the legal paper work at the border?????

I'm sure there are ways around it, but the whole 'possession' thing is pretty straight forward.

What you gotta do is have a friend in the US.

They need to get a Possession license.

Buy a gun and register it in Canada under their name.

Bring it over here and sell it to you and transfer the registration to your name.

I hunt with a dozen Americans that come here every fall and they all got their Canadian paperwork done. It makes is so that they can register a gun online over their and bring it across the border without having to pay 50 bucks st the border for a temporary permit.

No US gun dealer will sell you a gun.

Sometimes we go there to hunt with them. It is very difficult to take a gun from Canada to the US to hunt so we just borrow one when we get there. Perfectly legal. Some of the guys have barrels here they like and take it alnog and just borrow the reciever

Anybody here catch wind of the postal system? Buy the gun and get it shipped. If you buy a restricted gun in Canada you can wait 2 weeks for an ATT to bring it home or have it sent in the mail and have it in two days. Buy a gun in the US, get it sent up through a broker and then you can have possession of it when it is on Canadian soil.

First of all. You can buy guns in the states. I have personlly purchased both Restricted (3 pistols and a Norinco CQ 5.56 and Non Restricted in Buffalo. Have them registered with the Canadian government. Show all the paper work to the US customs, pay duties and for all Restricted have a ATT ready to transfer from the Boarder to your home. Lucky for me my club is in St Catherines and I have an Open ATT to travel anytime to different clubs.

Dave

First of all. You can buy guns in the states. I have personlly purchased both Restricted (3 pistols and a Norinco CQ 5.56 and Non Restricted in Buffalo. Have them registered with the Canadian government. Show all the paper work to the US customs, pay duties and for all Restricted have a ATT ready to transfer from the Boarder to your home. Lucky for me my club is in St Catherines and I have an Open ATT to travel anytime to different clubs.

Dave

Yikes....Careful what you advertise, :huh: