Trouts Stomach containts

Skud

The way to tell between a goby and a sculpin is the pectoral fins ... a goby is joined at the bottom as one single fin... a sculpin had 2 seperate fins ... Fishing off of oro line 9 this year I found a dozen or so gobies in the whitefish I caught. First I have ever seen of them in simcoe.

Big fish eat little fish, they aren`t real selective, if it`s an easy meal chances are it`s gone. Most of those appear to be what we call lake or emerald shiners here. The one in the middle does appear to be a gobie, but could be a sculpin. I have caught steel head with shad, perch, emerald shiners in their bellies here, and sometimes one heck of a lot of them.

Yes, Gobies have been in Lake Simcoe for a couple of years now. Clearly, the attempt to eradicate them with the use of Rotenone a couple of years ago has failed, as expected.

On a positive note, the Round Goby has directly contributed to the world class Smallmouth Bass fishery on Lake Erie. Lake Simcoe fish species will certainly capitalize on this new food source in the same way, at the expense of introducing higher levels of contaminants into fish up the food chain. The reason why...Round Gobies will consume Zebra Mussels, and Zebra Mussels are filter feeders constantly consuming and storing contaminants.

Everything is connected wink.gif

Tony

P.S. Sculpins are a pretty rare catch as they are not aggressive like Gobies, but here is a way to tell them apart.

round-goby-diagram.gif

Edited by tonyb

Yes, Gobies have been in Lake Simcoe for a couple of years now. Clearly, the attempt to eradicate them with the use of Rotenone a couple of years ago has failed, as expected.

On a positive note, the Round Goby has directly contributed to the world class Smallmouth Bass fishery on Lake Erie. Lake Simcoe fish species will certainly capitalize on this new food source in the same way, at the expense of introducing higher levels of contaminants into fish up the food chain. The reason why...Round Gobies will consume Zebra Mussels, and Zebra Mussels are filter feeders constantly consuming and storing contaminants.

I recently read an interesting article on In-Fisherman that suggests that while the gobies have fattened mature fish, overall, numbers are way down. http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/state-smallmouth/3

I'm not an Erie bass fisherman, so I don't know either way.

I recently read an interesting article on In-Fisherman that suggests that while the gobies have fattened mature fish, overall, numbers are way down. http://www.in-fisher...te-smallmouth/3

Interesting read, thanks for that. This is the problem with invasive species, there is no roadmap or risk analysis that can be used to determine the future impact on the fishery.

All we can do, is go with the flow, and capitalize on fisheries that benefit from invasives before they crash (or not?) thumbsup_anim.gif

Tony

I have to stop getting so excited when I see these titles from Simcoe fish. I have to acccept I am probably not going to get my original wedding ring back.

Edited by Harrison

guaranteed they'll eat gobies! I've caught Steelhead on a piece of half rotten shrimp taken out of a $2.99 shrimp ring... I'm betting a swimming goby looks a little more tasty! They look a lot like the sculpins I used to catch as a kid on Manitoulin Island tribs... those same tribs were loaded with Raibows who were surely eating the sculpins, also bottom dwelling fish like gobies...

I recently read an interesting article on In-Fisherman that suggests that while the gobies have fattened mature fish, overall, numbers are way down. http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/state-smallmouth/3

Thanks for posting this. I've always kind of wondered if this could happen. Of course those fish that were already mature when the gobies really took off fluorished. But future recruitment is a different story. Are we going to see a crash in smallie populations in areas like Erie and Simcoe? Fishing is so good now no one would believe it, but the same could be said prior to the crash of many fisheries, including great lakes salmon.

Maybe at least this should be a nudge that we need to ensure we're protecting spawning fish to make sure they can guard the nests.

I would say its a goby, but I am no expert.

The gobies are definitely here to stay, so I am glad that other fish are eating them.

I work at the nuke plant, and you should see the goby that got caught in the intake screen, it measured 15 inches long! and almost a pound I would say, crazy to see...