Finally

MJL

The last little while I was mostly out of commission. Chemo hit me a lot harder than I imagined for longer than I hoped. I missed out on the Fishing for Tyler event and some fun OFC g2g’s on the ice :(. I can’t imagine how the patients who go through multiple sessions on a regular basis feel. In a nutshell it sucked having every side-effect on the list they gave me except for hair loss...But I lived through the 1 session and I have the whole month of March away from hospitals, needles and CT scans (which I probably hate the most). I go back to Sunnybrook in April to see if I’ll need round 2.

With only a couple weeks left in the season for Simcoe lakers, I just HAD to get out for at least 1 decent laker this past weekend. Lake trout for the past 2 years on Simcoe haven’t been very kind to me. Watching them zoom up from 95ft to meet your falling lure 30ft below the ice, and turn back down to the bottom, is probably the ultimate form of rejection an angler can get :wallbash:. This season wasn’t that different with only 2 ciscos to show for my efforts in January. I caught my last decent lake trout (bigger than a cigar) on March 6th 2010

Sunday March 6, 2011 and feeling OK, Victor and Frozen-Fire took me out for some ice fishing :thumbsup_anim:. At 9am it almost happened...I see a fish rocket up 15ft from the bottom to meet my tube and I connect with it. For a minute I slowly try to bring it to the surface...Then the hook popped out :wallbash:

9:37am the ice Gods must have been generous because it happened. I see a fish rocket up off bottom in 90ft of water to meet my tube at 75ft. I engage the reel and crank it fast. The fish chased it another 20ft before it slammed it. It’s amazing to see how fast lake trout can swim after food. The fish took 3 mega long runs back down to the bottom but I finally got it through the hole :D

P3064357-1.jpg

I can only think of a few other fish I’ve caught in my life where I’ve felt as happy and relieved to catch...This ice season, I didn't totally suck :lol:

I might do one more trip out onto the ice this weekend. Plans haven’t been made as of yet. Perhaps I’m not as sad anymore to see ice season end. Along with that fish, after 4 months of waiting, my new toy finally arrived. I guess you can say my baby (left) has a new big sister (right) :D

IMG_5461.jpg

Just gotta decide where to Christen her and what new rod she’ll be paired up with for my future river adventures. Can't wait!

Cheers and all smiles :)

Mike

Edited by MJL

Good to hear you are doing well man, I cant imagine how tough that treatment must be.

Well done on the Laker, I have yet to catch a Laker through the ice, I haven't even been out for them this year, I want to get out one more time on Simcoe to try and get one, and time is running out!

That's all just fine and dandy Mike but when are we gonna get out fishing together?

And I hope it's this year. Perhaps some open water Simcoe whities would be in order, my boat, my treat. thumbsup_anim.gif

Not to undermine your post of course, I'm very happy to see your doing well and getting out, chin up my friend, we'll get 'er done. ;)

Thanks guys...Really means a lot :)

I managed to end my season on Simcoe yesterday with 1 more smaller laker :D I guess the Karma for pushing a guy's broken down car at 4am yesterday to the nearest gas station helped :thumbsup_anim:

Even nicer reels thumbsup_anim.gif

There's still 1 more on the way... :whistling:

That's all just fine and dandy Mike but when are we gonna get out fishing together?

And I hope it's this year. Perhaps some open water Simcoe whities would be in order, my boat, my treat. thumbsup_anim.gif

Not to undermine your post of course, I'm very happy to see your doing well and getting out, chin up my friend, we'll get 'er done. ;)

Chris, that's an offer that no angler in their right mind would refuse :thumbsup_anim:

Can't wait!

Mike