Toronto Sportsmen Show!

cwpowell

I guess $19 looks cheaper in print than putting $20.sneaky buggers...not going this year like alot of others...

just a reminder as well that Tromblys Tackle Box in Orillia will be having their spring sale as well.. April 8, 9, & 10th, 2011..just in time for the Perch Festival the following weekend!

thanks guys....soft water is coming!

When gasoline prices spike like this and inflation rises I just cut out these luxuries and save my income for more important things, like gas to go fishing.....

Sportsmen shows peaked years ago IMHO.....now they are mostly cash grab venues.

I'm with you on this Bob. With the internet, and WFN, you can stay up to date on the innovations in the industry, right in your own living room.Plus, with all the major sporting stores syncing their sales around these shows,there is really no reason to attend them either. I saw no real bargains at the montreal show a few weeks ago, and will not be going back next year.

saying this tounge in cheek... come on guys come out to suport a not for profit corparation . the cnss is not for profit.. but they went corporation so you cant see where they spend there money

Non profit doesn't mean they don't take the money to pay for things...like the event. You can not simple put a excuse on it to spend the $20 for the show and as other's said 10 or 15 for parking on top of that. Gouging the price because they have people attend so they know they will pay. I suspect a drop in attendance this year and a price drop next year.

I guarantee.

Yeah i heard grimsby tackle and fishing world are not going this year. Myself i prefer the spring sales at the local shops anyways

Some of the regular tackle shops are not going to be there either. Just means more space for the T-shirt, first aid and sock vendors.

Edited by beertech

Some of the regular tackle shops are not going to be there either. Just means more space for the T-shirt, first aid and sock vendors.

The only tackle retailer we had this year in Montreal was LeBarons. No Sail or any of the other great shops we have locally. I think the cost of booths plus declining attendance is keepinu the bigger players away. I did notice that there was a booth where they were selling Tupperware and bed sheetsblink.gif Figure that one out.dunno.gif At least the cost was only 13 bucks for tickets.

The only tackle retailer we had this year in Montreal was LeBarons. No Sail or any of the other great shops we have locally. I think the cost of booths plus declining attendance is keepinu the bigger players away. I did notice that there was a booth where they were selling Tupperware and bed sheetsblink.gif Figure that one out.dunno.gif At least the cost was only 13 bucks for tickets.

Paul, you'll never see Le Baron and Sail (Baron Sport) in the same building. You've got to know the history of those two companies. We'll talk about that sometime.

I never go anymore but when I did go i found that there is free parking at Ontario Place just acros the Lakeshore Rd. . A short hike up and over the bridge for sure but I like walking and $15 to park and $19 to get in is a no go for me. Come to think of it $19 is a no go period.

This year and last it has moved to the metro convention centre on front street. No free parking, but it is on the transit line and GO.

I have not missed A Toronto Sportsmen show in many years as I was involved one way or another with the Gold Whistle.

For me to go with my family would be about $75.00 just to get in the door.Plus gas plus a beer and a slice of pizza we are easily into a 150.00 dollar day. So I think I will go to BPS or better yet somewhere local to spend $150.00 or maybe more..I really dislike BPS but the guest speakers maybe worth the trip...

There is a family pass depending on how old, and how many, "children" you have.

I can date my visits to the Sportsman show back into the late 60's.

Several years back, the Sportsman show was a different creature. There were a lot more mom and pop lodges, tackle shops, small independent manufacturers, etc... at the show. The mezzanine was all small retailers back then. Gradually, the small vendors, and some of the larger ones, were all pushed out by the big dollar. Seems there is not that much that is centered on fishing and camping.

I remember the days when it used to be held on Dixon Rd at the International Center. That was always a great trip with the oldman when I was a kid. So much stuff you could barely take it in during a single day. Now it's just more floor space with less vendors, reminds me more of a car show then a fishing show.

No thanks.

Nope! Will never pay that much to be pushed around, sneezed on and breathe a thousand farts. And what an insult, you have to pay almost as much to get your car in the gate as it costs for yourself...and your car didn't even ask to go!

Loved it as a kid and a teen, it was an indicator to the end of winter too, but not at that price!

I remember the days when it used to be held on Dixon Rd at the International Center.

I'm in my fifties and only remember it being at the CNE, never on Dixon Rd., sure you're not thinking of the fishing show?

Look in the fine print... it says, " Not valid when combined with any other offers."

The Lebaron coupon does say that photocopies not accepted, I assume therefore you must get one directly from Lebaron and not proint one out off their website. This this correct?

BTW, doesn't Lebaron normally have a no tax sale at Sportsman Show time?

Edited by Randy

I went last year after a long break from the TSS just to see the new venue. The new venue was crap. The show was terrible.

In my opinion, the better deal is the BPS Classic - it has free parking, free entrance, better speakers, better deals and the mall is nice for the family.

Then again, $19 for a day of exercise and entertainment isn't that bad when you consider a movie is like $13-$14 for 90 minutes or so.

smile.gif

Charles

Exactly what Charles said. The Convention Centre sucks for large shows, especially when they have it in the two areas. I think last year we looked at all the displays in one area then we walked, took a street car, went down 4 escalators, grabbed a cab and finally took a rickshaw and made it to the second area.

Exactly what Charles said. The Convention Centre sucks for large shows, especially when they have it in the two areas. I think last year we looked at all the displays in one area then we walked, took a street car, went down 4 escalators, grabbed a cab and finally took a rickshaw and made it to the second area.

That made me laugh.

My father and I went by Caravan. Camels get really cranky when they are hungary.

I like fishing, I like camping, I like guns, and I like boating stuff - it's all here under 1 roof... I kinda want to go, but yeah the $40 to set foot in the place (+parking) drains the excitement for me.

If it's any consolation, the Hot dog vendor outside serves up some of the best sausages and fries ever

Still on the fence about going....

Don't buy beer there!

There is a place just down the street that has $4 pints 4-7pm and great scenery. Including fresh Guinness some nights. Name starts with Loose.

Edited by Harrison

Don't buy beer there!

There is a place just down the street that has $4 pints 4-7pm and great scenery. Including fresh Guinness some nights. Name starts with Loose.

It's called the Loose Moose. :)