"Dirty Waters, Dangerous Fish"

Spiel

i eat Pangasius once a week. Very high in omega3. The wife called health Canada last year and what is sold here in Canada apparently comes from Thailand and meets Canadian requirements.They do however suggest not eating more than once a week due to the ever present Mercury content. It is suposedly no worse than eating fish from our own waters.Gonefishing.gif

Whether or not Health Canada is being truthful is another question all togetherdunno.gif

Thx for posting Chris. I never have had it before...and now I never will.

No problem, even if it's less than accurate it's an eye opener.

I see Basa in the grocery stores all the time, never knew it was a term for imported catfish.

Never eaten any and you can be sure I never will.

You know,that we are what we eat!

Having said that,do we really know what we are eating?

Government inspection doesn't cover the bases we expect it to.

Perch from Simcoe, trout from the Georgian Bay/lake Huron watershed, walleye from the inland lakes.

How bad can it really be?

I'm thinking far better than what was shown in the video!

Tilapia is pretty good... They reproduce rapidly, taste delicious, and their aquaculture tanks recycle something like 95% of the water they use.

Tilapia eh,

I love the following two links regarding Tilapia..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoR4dbE1os

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/07/08/39831.aspx

MMmMmm Tilapia :D

Tilapia is pretty good... They reproduce rapidly, taste delicious, and their aquaculture tanks recycle something like 95% of the water they use.

Tilapia tastes like what they eat. First and only time I will eat that crap.Check out dirty jobs .com.

I have eaten Basa many times. The majority of what is found in our supermarkets is USA produced on fish farms. I like it.

This whole video is disgusting when you think of how polluted that water is. When we first started eating that fish here as "Fish and Chips", I did a fair bit of research into it. Prior to this, I had never heard of it.

I find it ironic that their packaging plants look so clean and sterile with all the garb and masks and such.....yet the product itself is dirty as all hell! LOL

Not looking to start any great argument here---but we are not entirely innocent

This was in "Outdoor Canada" a few years back.

Recently after watching "The Nature of Things--Tipping Point"--I got inspired and P/O'd to paint this.

Dr. David Schindler who was in that Nature of Things episode told me that I did indeed capture what the view looked like there.

Back in 1980 I lived in "Black Lake Sask" for a while---on the other end of Lake Athabasca---so I kinda have history.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Tilapia is actually quite delicious and I emplore you to compare the level of toxins in a tilapia versus an apex predator such as a lake trout or lake ontario salmon. You might be surprised.

Also, not all tilapia eat crap, in fact, they are omnivores. Cutting edge tilapia farming involves growing hyrodponic vegetables in water which is also growing tilapia.

But, if the internet and Mike Rowe said it's bad, it must be true!