Unusual baits

huey graphite

Last year I had in-laws visit from Labrador and they brought pictures with them of some of their local fishing spots. Many great pics of brook trout. They told of one particular day when the bite was so hot they quickly ran out of bait and resorted to gummi bears which worked just as well.

It got me thinking, what is the strangest bait you've caught fish with?

Yes I'm bored and the boat is still in storage.

HG

I was sitting in my boat at the end of Hamilton Harbour, near the entrance to Cootes Paradise :Gonefishing: and eating a piece of left over pizza from the night before. I pulled my line in and hooked up a piece of pepperoni. Tossed it in along side the bulrushes and pulled in a really nice catfish about 2 feet long. Never caught anything since on pepperoni though.

Wife said she read about, or saw it on TV that they use Spam.

When I was back in the UK we used to fish all the time with baits that are probably seen as quite unusual over here ....sweetcorn, luncheon meat/ham, bread, cheese, hemp seed (it 'drugs' the fish) LOL

All of the above (except Hemp) are good for Carp. Hemp was used as a bait for a fish called a Roach that you don't have here (similar to the invasive Rudd).

In terms of Canada..... someone at Bass Pro said that they have used french fries from McDonalds I think for carp - is this true? Has anyone used them and for what?

A piece of red wool dipped in a bit of cod liver oil and tied directly on to the line (no hook). Fantastic for catfish.... we would put a pail in the boat, drop our line over the side, the catfish would bite and hold on until they touched something solid (the inside of the pail). Caught hundreds of them like that.

This one was from a CO that was a very good friend of mine: Sucker fillet (skin on) cut into strips and frozen. When you want to go lake trout fishing, take enough strips out of the freezer about three days before you want to go. Coat the strips really well with salt and put them in a jar with a lid on it and place it outside in an area where it will get a lot of sun. This toughens up the strips. Use these strips on your jig (he liked using a williams). He claimed that he could consistantly fish lake trout in an area where others were finding the bite slow and he could have his limit while the others where having trouble getting a hit.

whats his name mellows; for rainbows in the fall.

Corn nibblits tied in a roe sack and dipped in a bit of sardine oil for rainbows when I ran out of roe one spring. I caught more than my buddies and they were using roe.

" whats his name Mellows" LOL Still workin I see...

I grew up in a butcher shop...so while all the other kids fished with worms, I fished with cut offs of Bologna, Mock Chicken, Salami and other slimmy meats.... much to my frustration. Mind you last weeks beef liver was the best for Rideau River cats...bambo rod and 15 feet of string.

I caught a bunch of Pike once with raw strips of bacon. On one May long weekend, we had quick strike rigs set up with smelts as bait. Caught tons with the smelts but when we ran out, we switched to the bacon. We caught just as many with the bacon, although we were hungry the next morning.

Caught a 27 lb lake trout on a metal Shoe-horn on Great Bear lake. I rigged a swiash hook onto a drilled whole at the bottom of the horn, then attached the swivel at the handle end. Had a nice bend to it and rolled at a nice wide turned at about 1.5 km per hour! good sized bait also at around 6 inches. Still have it for my next trip!! :thumbsup_anim: