Plastic welding?

cityfisher

After running around simcoe today and gathering tones of snow in my tub due to a couple cracks in the plastic, I now need to do some plastic welding , any recommendations on where to get an inexspensive plastic welder in the gta??

Edited by cityfisher

Almost impossible to get anything to stick to polyethylene. I've had marginal luck using an old gun style soldering gun.... the HD ones with the 1/8" square looped wire "nose". You'll need some sacrifical polyethylene to melt in, just like soldering pipe with lead. Melt the crack and add/melt filler as you go. Heat/melt/smooth/blend. A fine line between getting it to melt together.. melting a big hole or having a cold weld line that will just crack again.

Just watch the fumes----welding plastic is extremely hazardous to your health besides being a carcinogen.

With so much plastic in the average home---this is why so many people die in house fires by the fumes

Years ago I was a tradesman and welding plastic was something we had to learn in trades school.

If it was me---I'd find an alternative

If your sled is made with HDPE (High Density Polyethylene), then nothing will stick to it except itself. It will be embossed somewhere on the plastic, likely near the manufacturing info.

Just cut up a 5 gallon bucket (preferably black) into strips and use a heat gun from Crappy Tire to melt it in. Practice on the remains of the bucket first.

I have repaired plastic floatation like this many times.

Good luck.

Fiberglass resin is probably better than many epoxies, but as I said, it is only a matter of time before it cracks off. That is one of the peculiarities of HDPE. It really only bonds with itself.

little road running and bouncing around muskoka 2 weekends back and it came right off.

Hopefully JB weld does the trick

I'll echo what Rattletrap has already said, polyethylene will only bond to itself.

I believe this MAY work

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442631453&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302882912

Skiers and snowboarders use it to repair cracks and gouges on the base, it's also fairly easy to use; just light up and drip it into the cleaned work area.

Should be readily available at any reputable ski/snowboard shop.

Hope this helps,

Cheers