microbreweries, which ones do you like

spinnerdoc

Steam Whistle only out of the bottle for me,for some reason I do not like it on tap. Anything Mill Street, my favourite is the Stock Ale. You can also go the the brewery and buy growlers which are special small batches. The IPA is nice. In the summer I like the Mill St. Lemon Tea.

As far as beers from Quebec Au Dieu du Ciel is great, apparently it is available at some LCBO's now. I love the St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout as well.

actually off all the microbreweries this brewery got me started

Neustadt is available from the brewery (located in Neustadt which is about 10 minutes south of Hanover), and I can also get it in the LCBO stores that are local to the brewery (e.g. Hanover). If you visit the brewery, call ahead. I've found that they sometimes keep strange hours and are closed when you'd least expect it. If visiting the area isn't an option, contact the LCBO and they might be able to tell you the nearest store that carries it (or maybe have some ordered to the store for you to pick up?)

thanks for the info..info, i'll be checking tis brewery out when i go there...someday

I have the exact same reaction when I drink budweiser. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the fact that bud is rice based vs barley. Actually, I wont even consider drinking a bud even if it's dripping ice in 30C heat.

For the record, Steamwhistle is my 'micro' of choice. Great beer :thumbsup_anim:

red wine does that to me

Google it... this has become our favourite way to do chicken. Almost have it on a weekly basis even in the winter. If it sounds good to you give it a try. If you want an tips just PM me.

No worries about tipping me in the deep end. I have overcome my enjoyment of beer by substituting wine :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

will google it....

and to all drink moderately...i am by no means a heavy drinker but do enjoy a few cold swigs once in a while....cheers.

moosehead-when they were still small

:dunno:

Just how old are you??? LOL

Largest Canadian owned brewery in Canada now. In 1982 thru '85, when I was an EMT at Consumers Glass in Milton, we made about 200 Moosehead bottles per MINUTE when we were running their moulds. Mooseheads green bottles were the main runner on line #1.

Edited by irishfield

My 2 fave brews are both downhomer's. No better red than Olands Red on tap. Then there was "10 Penny" which is no longer brewed.

Have to admit there are a lot of good local brews to be had, but you rarely find them on tap :wallbash:

Edited by bigugli

Last friday I had a couple glasses of Beau's beer from Van Kleek Hill and it was VERY good.

On Sir John A's Birthday, I sampled the Sir John A beer at the Kingston Brew Pub and it was very good also, their resident brand of Dragons Breath is also a winner.

My humble opinion in Tippling.....

David aka Superdad

Hands down. Flying Monkeys Almost Pale Ale

I tried that at the Barrie ribfest. Not for me.UGGGG

Theres one here in Barrie Robert simpsons. Guys rave about it,but also complain of the price of it.Never tried it.

Edited by Misfish

:dunno:

Just how old are you??? LOL

Largest Canadian owned brewery in Canada now. In 1982 thru '85, when I was an EMT at Consumers Glass in Milton, we made about 200 Moosehead bottles per MINUTE when we were running their moulds. Mooseheads green bottles were the main runner on line #1.

I'm still young i think 33. i wasn't sure when i put moosehead on here. A friend of mine who was born here and told me the story and and how it was from the maritimes and it was still small and how it tasted a bit diff. now.

When he first introduced it to me,it was a great "new taste" .

a quick question with the bottles, were the mold IBM's? We used to repair lots of these molds (not for bottles) but now not as much, they were containers for the airline industry.

"I love the St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout as well".

Its my favourite stout by far but can be difficult to find, my local stores dont normally carry it. I tried the Fyying Monkies amber ale (?) on the weekend and enjoyed it.

15+ years ago I lived in the south west end of Toronto, you could go to the Upper Canada brewery on a Sunday and have a nice fresh draft beer and buy some for home. Now its gone, owned by Sleeman who is owned by Sapporo. upper Canada used to make a "Winterbrew" a bock style high alcohol beer that was very tasty. I still like Creemore, especially the Urbock, now owned by Molson Coors.

"I love the St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout as well".

Its my favourite stout by far but can be difficult to find, my local stores dont normally carry it. I tried the Fyying Monkies amber ale (?) on the weekend and enjoyed it.

15+ years ago I lived in the south west end of Toronto, you could go to the Upper Canada brewery on a Sunday and have a nice fresh draft beer and buy some for home. Now its gone, owned by Sleeman who is owned by Sapporo. upper Canada used to make a "Winterbrew" a bock style high alcohol beer that was very tasty. I still like Creemore, especially the Urbock, now owned by Molson Coors.

MIll Street makes Barley wine during the winter that is rather enjoyable, sounds to be similar to the winter brew.

I do not see the oatmeal stout often in the LCBO. Fortunately I am fairly close to C'est What which has the stout on tap, by far my favourite way of enjoying the sweet nectar.

Micro breweries, well if you count the basement brewing I did for over 20 years I'd say I had some of the best (IMHO).

ChrisK now has most of my equipment and has produced some mighty fine product. thumbsup_anim.gif

I've sampled a lot of Mirco Brewery beers over the years and one that stands out for me is/was the Niagara Brewing Company. Been a while since I had one but from what I can see from quick research it appears that they were bought out by Moosehead and relocated.

A personal comment on Steam Whistle, thought it to be one of the worst beers I've ever had. whistling.gif

For microbreweries I'm a fan of Creemore. It's just good stuff but will really only have it when I'm in the mood.

In general though if I'm having beer with dinner like at a restaurant 9/10 I'm having a red beer, Rickards Red is much better than Keiths Red but I'll take either. If I'm going watching the game, just having drinks, etc. I usually prefer an ice cold MGD.

I Like Creemore Lager for sure, Mill Street's Tankhouse Ale, and Steam Whistle if it's super-cold as a pilsner, in the summer. Keith's like Creemore, isn't so much of a micro anymore, but I enjoy their ale on tap after I play squash, and want something not too heavy.

Anytime I'm in Quebec, I love just about anything from Unibroue, but can't really imagine drinking the more Belgian-types all the time.

In terms of beer can chicken, it's the only way to fly! I always put some of the rub in the beer can, along with a crushed cove of garlic. It's pretty hard to mess up, cause the beer keeps the chicken from drying out.

one that stands out for me is/was the Niagara Brewing Company. Been a while since I had one but from what I can see from quick research it appears that they were bought out by Moosehead and relocated.

I forgot about Niagara.. They used to brew an Ice Bock in quarts that was quite nice, but that was a good 18 years back.

Grand River brewery is pretty good as well...hard to drink out of the growlers though I still think its cool.

Some favorites of mine for heavy profiled beers would definatly be:

St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout and Mcauslan Pale Ale are two fav's

Mill Street Tankhouse Ale and the Coffee Porter is Awesome

Wellington Russian Stout

Church-Key Chocolate Porter is killer

Easy drinking micro's....

F&M Stonehammer Pilsner, Stone hammer Dark

Camerons Auburn Lager

I tried that at the Barrie ribfest. Not for me.UGGGG

Theres one here in Barrie Robert simpsons. Guys rave about it,but also complain of the price of it.Never tried it.

Robert Simpson tutored me through college in Barrie...well not really.

Great beer! Try it.

Grand River brewery is pretty good as well...hard to drink out of the growlers though I still think its cool.

Youngest should have all their brands sampled in due time! So far she likes the pumpkin.. being that she's only 250 feet from their front door and the real beer store is a mile up the other street across the bridge!

Micro breweries, well if you count the basement brewing I did for over 20 years I'd say I had some of the best (IMHO).

ChrisK now has most of my equipment and has produced some mighty fine product. thumbsup_anim.gif

I've sampled a lot of Mirco Brewery beers over the years and one that stands out for me is/was the Niagara Brewing Company. Been a while since I had one but from what I can see from quick research it appears that they were bought out by Moosehead and relocated.

A personal comment on Steam Whistle, thought it to be one of the worst beers I've ever had. whistling.gif

Hmm.. wonder what did you call your brew Chris...I'm sure it's great. Wow your not only a master rod builder, a brew master as well? What else do you do Chris :worthy:

And to all that replied thanks for sharing you experiences and preferences...keep em coming

Youngest should have all their brands sampled in due time! So far she likes the pumpkin.. being that she's only 250 feet from their front door and the real beer store is a mile up the other street across the bridge!

Lucky girl LOL....

Ya The "Highballer" Pumpkin is pretty cool and surprisingly easy drinking.

I used that in one of my Brewmasters dinners I hold twice a year at Hotel.

Paired it with a Fall dessert course...Sweet Braised Pumpkin with Chocolate Cheddar

It was a hit that blew the crowd away!

Bob Hanenberg the Owner/Brewmaster is a pretty passionate Guy when it comes to his beers, and they keep the good stuff comming again and again....I might just get them on board for another dinner soon.

I'll be sure to let you know when and get you and your Daughter out for some Microbrews and good eats.

The Plowman's Ale and Russian Gun Imperial stout are BIG, heavy, bitter and so........so very good

I can almost taste them now :D