Ontario Out of Doors

Jds63

I just read a very interesting article in this months issue of Ontario Out Of Doors, regarding the amount of soft plastic baits being found in the bellies of Lake Trout and Brook trout (possibly other species)

It seems that the fish in the study had large amounts of un-digestable plastic baits in their bellies causing many of them to lose weight and eventually be susceptible to disease and predation.

I was under the impression that many plastics on the market quickly biodegrade but that does not seem to be the case. I actually have not been examining the stomach contents of the fish that I have eaten so this is surprising. I am not sure what bodies of water their research was done in however I am now more interested in seeing how many fish may be in this situation. I would suspect that heavily pressured lakes will contain more plastics than remote lakes.

The article goes on to explain that there is an estimated 20 million pounds of soft plastic baits lost each year in North American lakes and rivers.

How many of you have found plastic baits in the stomachs of the fish you have caught ?

Do you see this as a potential serious problem ?

Fish in the St. Lawrence are doubly screwed then.

First they're sedated from all the prozac being flushed into the water by depressed Quebecers, then BAM, they slurp down a nice juicy plastic worm and they're all blocked up.

Lethargic and irritable, not a good combination for fish. :(

:D

Gummy Bears for Fish....who wants to invest???

Dont laugh ...ive actually tried it ...injected liquid spawn into a gummy bear....nope didnt catch a thing and wasted a perfectly good Gummy Bear wallbash.gif

The black ones last forever though.Never figured out whyblink.gif

I just read that too and that pic of the contents is crazy. did you look at the size of some of those things?!?!? I think all the brookie guys should be using bigger bait now too after reading that.

Edited by GBW

The extreme volumes cited may not be so far fetched. How much soft plastic adorns the walls of your local tackle shop. Multiply that by every shop in North America. It adds up.

Another disturbing problem with some of the plastics is that some actually expand in water.

The fish cannot pass the larger baits through their system.

Every lost piece of plastic, just like every lost spoon, is still there.

First they're sedated from all the prozac being flushed into the water by depressed Quebecers, then BAM, they slurp down a nice juicy plastic worm and they're all blocked up.

:rofl2:

Cant honestly say I have seen them in the belly of any fish I have eaten .. BUT ... I have caught many lakers which couched up three or four of(my) rainbow shiners ... and been snorkelling and found lots of half rotted plastics on completely rotted jigs .... so obviously the hooks dissolve faster than the plastics ... makes you think.

LOL funny but the more I read about these things I only consider eating fish from inland lakes and ponds isolated from heavy runoffs or pollution plants.