Higher end Spinning Reels

Gregoire

Hello all,

I have decided that I am going to purchase a higher end spinnig reel. I will be pairing this reel with a high quality ice fishing rod for the hardwater (hopefulley lakers and Whitefish) and a finess rod on the softwater (Weightless applications and river fishing). I have been considering the following models and would like people's input and experiences regarding the following reels:

Shimano:

Stradic F11000 Stradic CI4F1000

The reason why I am considerign the CI4 is because it is so light. I am wondering if anyone has tried both these reels. If the CI4 worth the extra money? Also wondering what the difference is between the CI4 and the microline version. I would also consider the Sustain, but am not sure that it is worth the price. I also am looking to get a newly designed reel, if I am going to spend nearly $200 I want it to have new technology in it. I just get the impression that the F1 and the Sustain, although great reels, are using some older technology. I also do not like the fact that the CI4 does not come with a spare spool.

Abu GarciaSoron STX10

This reel is a bit heavier but seems to be reliable and well built.

Quantum Energy PTI-B

From what I hear this is a great reel. The model is a bit old and the reel is a bit heavy.

Pflueger Patriarch 9525x

By far the lightest reel that I am considering (5.6 oz compared to 6.1 for the CI4) I am just worried about how reliable this reel would be. I have not been able to find a great deal of info online about this reel.

I am really looking for your experiences with these reels. I am willing to spend up to $250. As of right now I am leaning towards the CI4 or the Patriarch, due to how little they weigh, but I do not want to buy a reel becuase it is light and find out that it is not as good as a heavier reel.

I really appreciate any information that you can provide.

Greg

I have a stradic3000 that i've fished hard over the past 2 years. It's been submerged many times, dropped a couple of times and still works flawlessly. I just clean it up and oil it now and then.

I agree with buying quality gear once as opposed to lower end stuff many times but I can't see how the C14 is really any better than a regular stradic. Ya there's a weight difference but can't imagine and extra once or 2 really makes a difference. If it does, time for some pushups. And it looks a little fancier. But personally I think it's purely a marketing thing to make us spend more money.

Also I don't like the small handles on the C14 vs the regular stradic. That maybe be biased though as I fish in colder weather and when wearing gloves the larger handles are easier to grab. But that may not apply to you.

I love my Stradics but I would recommend you buy the Saros. Really, after the $120- $140. price point, there's not enough difference in the reels to justify their purchase. And really, how delicate are we that we need to be concerned about a reel weighing an ounce more or less than another? But that's just my opinion.

I love my Stradics but I would recommend you buy the Saros. Really, after the $120- $140. price point, there's not enough difference in the reels to justify their purchase. And really, how delicate are we that we need to be concerned about a reel weighing an ounce more or less than another? But that's just my opinion.

Words of wisdom. I totally agree...anything over $150 for a spinning reel is serious overkill...but that's just my opinion.

An ounce or two is not a large number on its own. But as a percentage of the total weight of a combo, it can be huge. When you are down to a 10 oz combo, 2 oz is 20%. Beyond that, it can change the way a combo balances and feels. To some, this is not important, to others it is. There is a huge market for the ultra lightweight reels, and I don't think it is because the people who are spending big bucks on these reels are simply buying into marketing. Some put a high value on the total weight of a combo for whatever reason. It could be vanity, but if the price of their vanity is justified to them, then the difference in price is worth it.

I can comment on the quality of Pflueger reels in that the president has a good reputation of longevity and performance. I have used a stradic F1, and I did not like them for any true performance reasons (I am a Daiwa guy). I have not used the Cl4 to be able to comment on the differences aside from weight; however, I have read reviews for which the only real negative is the lack of a spare spool. I am not sure if this is the case with the Stradic F1. I am not a fan of the Quantum spinning reels as the the constructino on the models I have played with did not feel very good to me. The Abu's I have played with all felt solid and smooth.

Of the one's you listed, I would personally select the Patriarch followed by the CI4.

Disclaimer: I put value on weight as well as on bling. I am young and vain.

What about Daiwa? They make some nice reels in that price range. Weight isn't every, just make sure it balances nicely with your rod. Don't know about the Pflueger but a couple of friends that bought the CI4 were not very happy with it, especially during cold weather. If you can wait till the Basspro sale, they had some nice JDM Daiwa reels on sale lastyear. I am hoping they will have some more out this year.

Guest gbfisher

Nothing beats a good stick for hard water fishing. Cheap too! :good:

The way I see it the more it costs the faster you're going to break it. Breaking a stick doesn't cost a thing except the time it took you to make it.

I've played with the Pfluger Patriarch a few times in the shop and I find it a better reel than the Stradic Ci4. Feels smoother and its a quieter reel.

The handle is also a bit longer than the Ci4's so give them both a shot.

I'm a big fan of the Stradic MGFB's if you can find them anymore. I'd rather one of those over a Ci4 any day. Not much heavier either.

What about Daiwa? They make some nice reels in that price range. Weight isn't every, just make sure it balances nicely with your rod. Don't know about the Pflueger but a couple of friends that bought the CI4 were not very happy with it, especially during cold weather. If you can wait till the Basspro sale, they had some nice JDM Daiwa reels on sale lastyear. I am hoping they will have some more out this year.

They had japanese domestic model daiwas at basspro? I would agree that the OP should consider Daiwas. The Fuego spinning reel is a really nice reel and cost and weight should be similar to the CI4

I have the Stradic CI4F1000 and really love it

I got it because I wanted the lightest one in a 1000 reel

I bought it on line in the US for 2/3 of the cost in canada

X2 - The CI4 is are really great reel IMO. There are some really good deals on Ebay for Shimanos. I have bought 5 shimanos on ebay in the past 2 years and have probably saved around $800 over MRSP. I would suggest the OP to take a look at "reelsmarttackle" on ebay. I have never tried the Patriarch brand so I cannot comment from experience but I have seen some online posts and reviews and it seems like a lot of people like these reels. Personally I would stick with a shimano.

the quantum energy PTI-B is one of the best reels u can get. they look great, they are compact, and light. very smooth, great drag on them and come in many sizes including a new size 05. i personally dont like shimano, althought they do make some quality gear. but, when u sk a question like this, ur gonna get bias opinions only. cause each person is gonna tell u to buy the brand they like best. go to a store and try each reel out, put each on the rod u wanna get and see how they all feel. pick the one that feels best for u.

u really cant go all that wrong on any of those reels. they are all great reels.

They had japanese domestic model daiwas at basspro? I would agree that the OP should consider Daiwas. The Fuego spinning reel is a really nice reel and cost and weight should be similar to the CI4

They had the Bradia on sale at their spring sale and the Caldia abit later in the year.

X2 - The CI4 is are really great reel IMO. There are some really good deals on Ebay for Shimanos. I have bought 5 shimanos on ebay in the past 2 years and have probably saved around $800 over MRSP. I would suggest the OP to take a look at "reelsmarttackle" on ebay. I have never tried the Patriarch brand so I cannot comment from experience but I have seen some online posts and reviews and it seems like a lot of people like these reels. Personally I would stick with a shimano.

I own most of the shimano line up from the Sahara to Stella - for simple ice fishing the stratic model is definately enough to handle most of your fishing applications. Although picking up the patriarch and trying it

at the store it is fairly smooth and light for the price... But I'm bias lol I like my shimano gear