2008 Jeep Liberty

HTHM

I am looking at a 2008 Jeep Liberty Limited 4 X 4 to replace our family van. Does anyone have any experience with these vehicles? Real world fuel consuption, repair history ect...

Thanks

Have a real good look at the front end. they are bad . real hard on ball joints . they only last about three years tops.

Have a real good look at the front end. they are bad . real hard on ball joints . they only last about three years tops.

I was looking at them too last year, a friend of my brothers had one and said the suspension is crap, you would be lucky to get 3 years out of the front end

If you're thinking about a Jeep...get a Rubicon, (a two-door...the four-door is a mall-crawler)lift it up a good six inches and slap a set of 36" super swampers on there. Don't forget the winch, armour, and push bars. It's hardly a replacement for a "family van", but it's total awesomeness will outweigh any possible drawbacks. ;)

To be serious, my only exposure to a Liberty came last week when my wife rear-ended one. Her Hyundai has thousands of dollars damage on it and the Liberty barely a scratch. The owner didn't even show up at the reporting facility.

They're pretty small, are you sure that's what you want?

Lots of problems with those vehicles from what I've heard anyway.

If a small sports ute is what you want I'd look at a CRV instead. More money up front but more reliable and far better resale.

If you can find an '06 Nisaan X-Trail (the year they stopped making them) with low mileage, that'd be worth a look.

Mine has been incredible, best vehicle I've owned by far.

If a small sports ute is what you want I'd look at a CRV instead. More money up front but more reliable and far better resale.

If you can find an '06 Nisaan X-Trail (the year they stopped making them) with low mileage, that'd be worth a look.

There only good if you actually drive them.

cause if you were driving that instead of the honda, you wouldnt have needed a broken snow brush and a tow truck..... :whistling::P

how many kids/pets need to get in? liberty is a bit small, get a grand cherokee.

i've had the regular and now the grand cherokee as my last two vehicles. the regular was bulletproof to 450,000kms - i got rid of it reluctantly and replaced it with the grand. i can't comment on the longevity of the grand as i've only owned it for 6 months but it's a sweet ride for sure.

I'm with solo...honda CRV, 4cyl,4x4,4dr. I had the head ski edition with leather was a lot more roomy then it looks! full time AWD is awesome in the snow and cheap on gas. rear seats flip down , I've slept in it..often think about getting another one for a winter vehicle.

you have to check the valve clearance,valve seat wears closing the gap and change the rear end fluid or it'll squeal while turning, other than that great little SUV :clapping:

Just my opinion, I think the Liberty/Escape/CRV are too small to fit 4 adults comfortably and I think a glass boat in the class of a Ranger would be pushing the limits of the Escape - the Liberty is a little more capable and would do ok on occasion. Tow with a CRV? Forget about it.

Those small SUVs give up a lot of space compared to a mini-van.

Edited by Raf

and occasionally pull the Ranger.

There's a fair bit of weight to a glass boat and I'm not so sure those smaller vehicles have the braking power to stop it in a hurry if needed.

I tow a 19' glass and don't think I'd trust those small brakes to do the job.

Just my thoughts anyways and I could very well be wrong.

I used to drive an '03 Liberty with the 3.7L for work.

Like others have said, very limited passenger and cargo space, though the newer model does look bigger (not sure of the '08). I drove a Malibu Maxx after the Jeep and it had a ton more room for both.

It was not finished very well on the interior, I guess it was supposed to look 'Jeep rugged'.

Mine was particularly heavy on fuel (compared to others we had at the time), mileage was comparable to my '01 Dakota pick-up. I believe I was averaging about 13-15L/100km. I even had it back to the dealership a couple times regarding the thirst of the beast. They would do their own consumption test and report it was within specs, although at the very high end. :wallbash:

okay i will jump in we have a 2002 that we have had for 7 years its the wifes beater 3.7 to be honest its not that great for me anyway its strange to drive i feel uncomfortable in it dont like the way it handles it does not have alot of room and sucks pulling a boat i cant even imagine pulling a glass boat now would I buy one no way would my wife want another probably I like JEEPS and I dont class a liberty as a jeep just a glorified mini van with a jeep stamp Keep Looking

JMO

peter

I just upsized from my Xterra to something that will fit my soon to be larger family, but our 2000 Nissan Xterra was absolutely bullet proof. Pushing 300,000 KM's and still running like a charm. I'd have bought a newer one if I didn't need room for 3 car seats! :whistling: Now we're in a 2004 Durango Limited and so far so good!

My Wife drives an 05 liberty. 139k and i have no complaints about anything with the exception of fuel mileage. Also the ride isn't the greatest, and the interior is small. Were going from Ingersoll to the Ottawa area over christmas and with the fuel prices the way they are i'm going to take an 08 ford escape with a 4cyl from the dealership. I'll probably get almost twice the mileage with it santa.gif