NOW ITS MY TURN TO RANT

mercman

Already sitting at my son's place waiting for the Capt to come home from work...wife forgot his key but my son called the building manager and arrange for the key to be waiting in the office for us when we arrived....

Gasoline prices much better here...$2.95 per gallon compared to $3.23 per US gallon at home when we left....but weather not much different here...34 degrees and about 2 inches of snow compared to our 4 feet.

GAS WENT UP WO 121.9 A LITRE HERE THIS MORNING ho ho ho !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be a good boy, cant wait to here what santa brought ya Bob.

be safe

The other add they had was 'Nothing throws a bulldog like a St.Croix' with a giant pissed off bulldog attached to the line via his harness.

I wish people wouldn't take crap so literally. I can't imagine what's running through someones head who's actually getting MAD at an ad like that.

The whole point of advertising is to get people's attention therefore drawing attention to their products... which makes this ad a huge success! We aren't talking about any of the other 50 ads in that magazine, or the companies they represent, are we?

Btw, my schnauzer comes muskie fishing with me... JUST IN CASE.

• 8 months later...

That's a good story indeed, but definitely false.

As I can attest to squirrels can swim. :)

The following is a true story that happened to me a few years back.

Several years ago while soloing in Quetico I approached a perfect island campsite on Kawnipi Lake and decided to pull in and set up camp as it was getting late.

While unloading my gear this angry little psycho red squirrel with a black slash on his forehead raced around me excitedly, chattering and shrieking like he was rabid (obviously I was on his turf!).

Anyhow, after awhile he left and I went about my business. A little while later I had a fire going and was about to start eating a potful of rice when out of the corner of my eye I spotted the little demon seed sitting on the log next to me mesmerised by my rice.

Very very slowly I grabbed the pot lid in my right hand and held it poised above the pot which was resting on my knees. It took a looong time, probably 15mins of sitting motionless like that, but finally the little buggar hopped into my pot and started gobbling up my rice.

I slammed the lid down to capture the demon and all hell broke loose!

He was scrabbling at the pot trying to get out all the while making these weird gurgling noises LOL!

Well, as much as he was bugging me I didn't want to kill him, I just wanted him gone.

I looked around and noticed a tiny rockpile in the lake about 400yds from the island.

Aha! I thought, Alcatraz it is for the little beggar!

I put the still shrieking squirrel into my canoe and pushed off for the rockpile.

Upon arriving, I VERY carefully placed the pot on the rocks, then leaned way over with the paddle, completely unbalanced, and flipped the pot lid off with the tip of the paddle.

What happened next is kind of a blur it happened so fast. In my minds eye I see the squirrel shoot straight up in the air about 3 feet, do a 360 to see where he is, then shrieking, he launched himself horizontally right at my face LOL! He was like the Chuck Norris of squirrels.

All 4 of the demons little claws sank into my face drawing blood. I freaked (obviously ) and capsized my canoe into the lake.

The demon squirrel springboarded off my face and hit the water like he had an outboard in his butt making a beeline back to his island.

Squirrels are REALLY good swimmers, who knew?

All I could do was laugh, I mean what else could I do?. I gathered my wits (and canoe) and made my way back to the island. Thankfully the demon squirrel seemed to be in hiding, the ordeal was over! (or so I thought!)

The next morning I packed up early as I wanted to get going. The canoe was loaded and I was just finishing my morning oatmeal when, you guessed it, I spied the demon squirrel about 2 feet to my right staring intently at my pot of oatmeal!

I knew it was the same beast 'cause of the distinctive black slash on his forehead (sign of the beast?)

Anyhow, this time it took at least 1/2 an hour...my arm was getting REALLY tired holding my pot lid in the air motionless.

Finally, his hunger overcame his fear and he tentatively hopped in. I slammed the lid down on him with a vengeance!.

Man the bizarre, otherworldly noises that came from that pot sent chills down my spine! Without really thinking, just reacting, I grabbed the pot and started to shake it as hard as I could (sorry squirell lovers, don't condemn me 'till you've walked a mile in my shoes ).

I shook that pot 'till my arms were sore then threw it down on the ground.

Amazingly the demon landed on his feet, standing upright. His eyes were closed though, and he was wobbling around like a drunk.

I grabbed my pot, thinking, huh, that'll teach ya!. I was still watching the beast as I turned to my canoe, when suddenly the wobbling stopped, his beady eyes snapped open clear and bright and full of hate!

He let out a blood curdling shriek and launched himself at my leg! If any of you remember the killer bunny rabbit from Monty Python and The Holy Grail, well this was pretty similar.

Frantically I tried to get to my canoe and safety as the creature attacked. He latched himself onto the cuff of my pants as I ran to my boat. Realising he was attached to me I kicked my leg out and he flew off (I could have split the uprights at 60yds with that shot).

Anyhow, I made it to my boat and pushed off, finally escaping the beasts wrath.

By far my most memorable wildlife encounter!

:rofl2:

Merry Christmas :)

Mike - I was searching online for the St. Croix muskie ad to show a few co-workers (I think it's hilarious, and so did they) and Google brought up this thread. I then read your attack-aquirrel account and needed a good 10 minutes to stop laughing enough so I could type. That's just plain hilarious.

• 1 month later...

For the guys who tricked their wives into believing they were going to be using ducklings for bait.

Pass this video on to the old balls and chains. They should get a kick out of it.

Thanks for sharing that. I found it pretty cool to see. Do you have one with a poodle?

Truly, Truly the funniest thread ever. Thank you Mercman. worthy.gif

You guys canadian.gif are sick.

With my neighbors yippy dog, all I got to say is match the hatch. Gonefishing.gif

Times have changed alot since posting this threadwhistling.gif I no longer feel the same way about poodles, and have suggested on numerous occasions to my wife, that she let me use our yappie little Pomeranian as Muskie bait.rofl2.gifdevil.gif

Glad this thread came back up as I absolutely LOVED reading solo's squirrel adventure! Way too funny! Thanks solo for taking the time to share that!

As for the pike eating the baby duck video...it's an incredible video to watch...but I love ducklings! I used to feed them every year when we lived on the lake. Cute little guys! So am a little sad at that one! Although I am sure I'd get ribbed about that in here with all the duck hunters! :whistling: But not afraid to admit it! :D

Mike - I was searching online for the St. Croix muskie ad to show a few co-workers (I think it's hilarious, and so did they) and Google brought up this thread. I then read your attack-aquirrel account and needed a good 10 minutes to stop laughing enough so I could type. That's just plain hilarious.

Wow...I missed that one. Soooooo funny. It cements my belief that we need to do a trip together, Mike....you are a great storyteller rofl2.gif

Glad this thread came back up as I absolutely LOVED reading solo's squirrel adventure! Way too funny! Thanks solo for taking the time to share that!

As for the pike eating the baby duck video...it's an incredible video to watch...but I love ducklings! I used to feed them every year when we lived on the lake. Cute little guys! So am a little sad at that one! Although I am sure I'd get ribbed about that in here with all the duck hunters! :whistling: But not afraid to admit it! :D

HA! I had no idea my little tale of woe was embedded in this old thread.

Glad you enjoyed, and yes Johnny at some point we'll fish together! :)

HA! I had no idea my little tale of woe was embedded in this old thread.

Glad you enjoyed, and yes Johnny at some point we'll fish together! :)

I went back and read it too after Miracon mentioned it, and it was hilarious! I did actually laugh out loud several times while picturing it in my head. And I was thinking Monty Python before you mentioned it, hahaha