Back from Iced in Quinte

Fish Farmer

First day got to ramp at the ferry and lots of shove ice, someone was there and gave up but we give it a shot and got out but things didn't go smooth. First we broke the ice, backed in then couldn't get the boat off the trailer :wallbash: , kept backing up and nothing,still stuck :wallbash: , rocking back and forth and looked down the boat was frozen to the trailer,trailer and boat floating :wallbash: . Started motor to try and brake boat from trailer, the steering was froze :wallbash: , OH OH. Back up the ramp. went inside the washroom at the ferry to get hot water to pour on steering cable :whistling::wallbash: . Finely freed up then we tried rocking the boat on the trailer to brake free and crack, were going fishin after 1 hour :clapping: . We fished the cement plant to Thompson's Pt. dodging floating ice with the boards :worthy: , got to Thompson's and it was froze over :worthy: . We caught 2 fish for the day so we packed it in at dark :thumbsup_anim: . Back to the motel for some cold beer, makes me shiver to think :o . Next day the whole bay was froze over right to the Ferry launch. Ferry launch was froze solid :wallbash: . So we went to McFarland's ramp and it was froze in :wallbash:. Now what :whistling: , off to Prinyers, looked like it was a go but lots of shove ice, thick 6" chunks, but we got in. We fished the Reach to the Bat Cave. I caught one just after we set up. then nothing for awhile then we got into a few out deep. Then my buddy's board pull back big time :thumbsup_anim: he had a big fish 32" man was he happy, we did the Walleye dance in the boat with the high fives, his PB. My other buddy caught a few and lost a couple. Fished till dark then back to the launch, Launch was froze :wallbash: We had to brake up the chunks to get back in, Finely after rocking and pushing we got to the ramp. My buddy backed the truck down and the trailer tires stayed on top of the ice then broke through, Smash, one taillight gone. :stretcher::wallbash: We'll be talking about this trip for awhile. With all our problems we still had a great time :thumbsup_anim: I'm posting pictures form start to finish

Ferry Launch

launch1.jpg

We broke this out backing in slowly.

launch2.jpg

Ice patches we fished around with the boards.

floatice1.jpg

Thompson's Pt. froze in.

tomson1.jpg

Next Day at McFarland's launch, froze across to the cement plant. We were trolling here the day before.

macfarlands.jpg

Ferry braking ice

iceferry.jpg

Looking down the reach.

iceadolphus.jpg

ice3o.jpg

Prinyers launch

icepryners3.jpg

icepryners2.jpg

icepryners.jpg

The planner boards were freezing up.

When you brought your lure in the hooks froze to the lure body.

boardf.jpg

And what we were there for.

daves2.jpg

davesfish1.jpg

murraysfish.jpg

This is what the Walleye dance was for

glennsfish.jpg

Edited by Fish Farmer

Glad you were able to get in and get some fishing in.Nice pics. Its that time of year you can be in a boat one day and looking from shore the next.

Thanks Lloyd, I tried some of your tips and it payed off. Went with the braid and fluorocarbon. :good:

Thank you very much for the report, FishFarmer!

You saved me a day and gas for sure! :) Ok, BOQ is over this year for me, good luck everyone!

Glad to help out Alex, I know I would like some info on yes or no. I didn't think we were going to get out the last day, it was a struggle

I had a long talk with Fish Farmer about the trip over coffee yesterday morning and he knows that I'd call it something other than dedication.... whistling.gif

You can call me anything but old :D I had something in the fridge for you but someone :whistling: didn't show.

Edited by Fish Farmer

WOW, your dedication payed off in the end and I'm glad to hear no one got hurt.......

I use to fish Chautauqua Lake in my boat until it froze up.....this was always the best time of the year for massive schooling of walleyes. We vertical jigged them with Sonars and Ice Rapalas....sometimes you would actually snag some.

The last time was mid Dec and I towed the boat up a good steep hill in Cassadaga, NY with just about 1 inch of snow......got up about 1/3 of the way up the hill and my boat and my van started to slide down backwards and jacked knifed....got real lucky and only lost a passenger side tail light on the trailer and a small ding where the transom and starboard side of the boat are riveted together as it hit a guard rail that stopped us from doing serious damage....that's when I decided to count my blessings and no longer boat fish there late in the season.