Trailer Bearings

fishnsled

I'm looking to upgrade my boat trailer. Nothing wrong with the old one just wanting a galvanized trailer. One of my co-workers was down at the Sportmans show and found a trailer for me. My concern is the bearings, they are an oil filled system, no grease. If the oil gets low just just top it up with 10w30 and away you go. :rolleyes: I'm not really buying into this concept. If you blew a seal going down the highway I figure that you'd have a seized wheel in no time. At least with grease it's going to stay with you for a while, maybe enough to get you home. :dunno: I'm just wondering if any one has had any experience with these before? Comments, concerns?

Thanks

I agree with the seized wheel idea. Some guys will say that almost all tractor trailers are oil hubs, but I still prefer grease especially on a boat trailer, I believe they have less chance of contaminating our waters. If all is perfect the oil filled should be fine but we don't live in a perfect world.

I agree with you guys as well. I know for a fact that the grease slowly leaks out from the inside of the hub because the seal is not 100%. Oil is lighter then water, so would water not slowly displace the oil? How can the alleged "New System" possibly keep any oil from escaping and water from getting in?

Oh gawd...now you're telling me that after driving on 3/4 or 1 Ton drive axles for about 35 years that they are no good, what about all the 1/2 ton truck drive axles that have bearings that are lubricated with what....I can't hear you, yes oil. Whats the likelyhood of blowing a seal going down the highway anymore with an oilbath type or greased bearings. Tybo...where are you TYBO, your opinion please.

You lose a bearing cover,the grease will fly out of there like nothing. The cap keeps the grease in.I do have a tip for you though,just incase you do lose a cap. Cut a beer can in half,keep it in the trunk. If you ever lose a bearing cap,just put that half a beer can on with some Red Green Special duct tape.Dont laugh,It saved us once. All the way from Nip to Barrie.

Im not sold on the oil bath idea.They blow out on the big rigs as well.

IMO.

Is it me or are most of you living in the dark ages with respect to trailer bearings. There are a few different types out there besides the conventional grease and seal type. Along with the superior oil type which DO NOT have to be regreased every year there is the sealed unit that was perfected by general motors and will last on a trailer for pretty well forever with out any maintenance. I switched my axle in my boat and box trailer 10 yrs ago and have never had a bearing blow yet. I am not sure but you might be able to buy these units at a reputable auto parts store and weld them onto a solid axle yourself.

I have put close to 30000 km on my Oil Bath hubs on my boat trailer in 2 years and have never had a problem. The oil is easy to change and doesn't constantly get low like conventional grease bearings. 50 wt oil does the trick and does it well. There is a reason why just about every trailer manufacturer for high end or large boats have made the switch. They even have a clear outer cap so if your oil looks like a double double coffee then you know you have water in them and need a new seal.

One's that fail are due to owner negligence 9 times out of 10.

JP

Edited by JPD

Most seals fail do to over filling.

Most lubricants expand from heat.

I see this most with bearing buddies,

Where the person will fill the hub to it's max(spring totally compressed).

The grease has no were to go when it expands pushing the inner seal out.

The next trailer I get,(if they have the option) are going to be oil filled.

This is a far better system. No hassles just take a look to see if the oil is up to

the line.

I have the cup and cone type right now. I really like this system.

I don't have to repack my bearing every year.

All I have to do is jack the trailer up put on the grease gun and start pumping

till clean grease come out.Then remove a little bit of grease for expansion.

Pop the rubber cap back in and ready to go.

When I worked for EZ Loader building boat trailers we built both types, only problem I ever saw with the oil filled ones was caps getting broken when people hit something. Never did see one come back with a blown seal. Greese filled; as Tybo said over fill, blow the seal. As far as converting from one to the other, you have to change the hubs either way.

Also remember to check the load on your bearings a few times a year.

Keeping up on this with also help prevent you seal from wear,

and a major failure.

I still like the half beer can and duct tape.LOL

Great advice Paul.

Almost time for the busch race. :thumbsup_anim:

Another problem that occurs with grease filled hubs is rust buildup on the surface the seal rides on. This ruins the seal. As mentioned before as the heat builds in the hub the air/grease expands, when you back into the water over the hub this quickly cools the hub sucking water inside. For all the time it takes before you use your trailer for first time pull the hub off and take a look. If necessary to replace bearing make sure the seal surface is clean and smooth. Also a good idea to coat grease outside the seal to help prevent seal surface rust. The oil filled hubs excel but they too need to be maintained. also make sure your tire pressures are good. You cant tell by visual check. USE THE GUAGE. Look at your tire sidewalls at the same time. Trailer tires are notorious for cracking. Better to check them before you head out. How many times have you seen trailers at the side of the road with a tire or a hub off?

I'm replacing the bearings on my boat trailer this spring, infact I posted about it a couple weeks back, but have been seriously thinking of going with the oil bath hubs for awhile now.

We used them on some of our heavy trucks at work and never had a problem that I was aware of.

Pretty sure I saw them at BPS last year but now can't find them on the website and was just trying to get an idea of price on them......anybody know how much a pair would cost ??

I was talking to a guy in Peterboro 2 years ago that builds custom trailers and he said that Bearing Buddies are actually a very bad idea for most folks because nearly everyone overfills them and blows out the seals. He says the best thing is to forget about the Buddies, and repack the bearings by hand at the start of each new season.

I've been running buddy bearings on my boat trailers for close to 30years and never had one bearing problem. I've had just about every other problem that could arise from pulling a boat though but never a bearing problem.

I was always taught that while installing gease in the buddy bearings was to pump grease until the spring loaded cap on the front side moves then stop.

Whopper