Getting out on the ice?

Keenan

Guest gbfisher

Which mode of transportation do you guys and gals use to get out to the hut?

I don't use a Hut. We walk to where the fish are. On Simcoe, if yer not on fish after 15 mins..you move and keep moving till you find them. Keeps ya warm and in shape( :blush: )and puts fish through the hole every time. :good:

Hey Terry, that is one sweet set up you have!!!!!!!!

as for me i use

fishingsimcoe01-27-08003.jpg

it ia a lot cheaper then having a vehicle go thru the ice.

and if it ever did, i will still have my ride home from the lake...

Edited by skeeter

wow thats a nice ride and good hut..

as for me I walk and walk.. make hole and fish.. if theres no fish u move on.. till you get tired! lol

last year was my first ice fishing and I had no idea what Im doing.. just a beginner

funny or stupid story is when I was at simcoe in jackson point last year.. after I finished fishing for perch I decided to fish for lake trout and white fish.. I was walking and walking for about aleast 50 to 60mins because I wanted to go far and thought going to far makes the water level deep but it end up same water level.. from where I was before to where I am.. :( and still perch.. omg that is very tiring.. expect for something different, it ends to the same fish :(

the lesson I've learned is that find the water structure of the lake.. So that I know where to go next time

Edited by bfishermen

where is that pic someone had about ice thickness and what is considered safe? like, walking, sled/atv, car then truck, you know the one... I walk most times but when the ice is nice and safe I take my AWD car out. depends where I am too.

We hike out with a plastic sled until there is 16" of good ice, then the vehicles go out....if we get a warm week in February, it's back to foot power.

Sled or quad until there is 10" of ice

CIMG1550.jpg

***Just realized I no longer have any pics of my sled on this computer, but it is a 1993 Skandic 503R all done up for ice fishing.***

then out in the truck.

0123001636-1.jpg

Edited by Nipfisher

I know everyone here is a lot more experienced than I am, especially when it comes to hardwater but I just can't imagine bringing my vehicle on the ice regardless of thickness. Every year I see pictures posted of cars underwater, trucks half under, etc. It's one thing if it's a 1980 piece of junk (Even then I wouldn't want to risk the cost of getting it out) but it's another when it's your family vehicle. I just can't wrap my ahead around it especially if you own a snowmobile or atv anyway.

Personally I think the risk faaaaaaaaar outweighs the reward of quick travel. Am I alone on this or those who do bring the vehicle out there have you ever had any close calls?

I know everyone here is a lot more experienced than I am, especially when it comes to hardwater but I just can't imagine bringing my vehicle on the ice regardless of thickness. Every year I see pictures posted of cars underwater, trucks half under, etc. It's one thing if it's a 1980 piece of junk (Even then I wouldn't want to risk the cost of getting it out) but it's another when it's your family vehicle. I just can't wrap my ahead around it especially if you own a snowmobile or atv anyway.

Personally I think the risk faaaaaaaaar outweighs the reward of quick travel. Am I alone on this or those who do bring the vehicle out there have you ever had any close calls?

If I still lived in Ontario I would totally agree with you, but they drive tractor trailers on the ice up in these parts. ;)

That shot above of my Honda on the ice is about 70kms from town and the ice was almost 4 feet thick in mid January. :good::good:

I have drilled through almost 5 1/2 feet of ice late in the season. You can land a fully loaded 747 on that much ice. I'm not worried about my light duty SUV. :lol:

The best thing anyone can do that doesn't know a lake can get a depth chart. Find out where rivers come in and go out. That is where the ice is going to be thin at all times. My lake has an underwater river about mid way down the lake, I would never take my car out there... Scugog, I'm ok with taking my 2006 out there after the new year and I've tested many an area on the ice by foot. I would not go up to the far North end of Scugog in my car, sled yes but I don't have one...