HYDRO PRICE GOING UP......

BUSTER

I recently bought a house heated by electric base board heaters ya I know probably not a wise thing to do but the wife loved the house and I can`t remeber the last time I said no to the wife.

Based on past owners usage my equal billing is 200 a month, I don`t know what their habits were but I guess we`ll see in a couple of months if that 200 a month is realistic number for us.

We tend not to be wasteful and I have replaced all light bulbs with CFL`s and replaced the thermostats to allow programing and apparently the new thermostats are much more efficent.

We try and save with small things knowing they will add up like use the toaster oven instead of turning on the big oven and not leaving the TV and lights on when not in use.

The one advantage that I can see with the EBB is that I can shut everthing off in the house and only heat what we want, currently we only have two baseboard on in the house and that is in the living room and master bedroom, and I am thinking of shutting them off and using portable heaters.

Track pants and a fleece are normal attire in my place when it starts to get cold.

if you can, install programable electronic controls to replace the old style rotary controls.they are very efficient and far more accurate.

sometimed home hardware or home depot sells them in packs of 6 for a really good price

I was told that costs are going up due to infrastructure requiring enhancement.

Electricity-Consumption-in-Ontario.jpg

and...

ontario-power-consumption-2.jpg

So if demand is going up and there are times in the day and times in the year when Ontario Hydro can't cover our demand. Inputted energy from other provinces and states is expensive and could be unreliable...what solutions do the wise ones on this board have for Ontario's ever growing lack of production? It is like crying over split milk..you can't have what you had before.

Edited by scuro2

Ontario did price out two plants at $26 billion dollars and thought better of it. Cost overruns are common with Nuclear Power, as are shut down plants, or plants working at a reduced capacity. Then there is the issue of the cost of decommissioning plants and getting rid of the nuclear waste. Canada's nuclear power plants produces hundreds of thousand tons of tailings each year along with 85000 radioactive spent fuel bundles.

Where do you think Ontario Hydro's 20 billion dollar debt and the 0.7 ¢/kWh debt reduction charge on your monthly bill came from? Do you actually believe that new Nuclear Power plants are the cheaper long term option...or even the cleaner option?

Edited by scuro2

Guest Johnny Bass

Electricity-Consumption-in-Ontario.jpg

and...

ontario-power-consumption-2.jpg

So if demand is going up and there are times in the day and times in the year when Ontario Hydro can't cover our demand. Inputted energy from other provinces and states is expensive and could be unreliable...what solutions do the wise ones on this board have for Ontario's ever growing lack of production? It is like crying over split milk..you can't have what you had before.

Oh I get it! Rather than increase our electrical capacity? Lets just keep supply's low so we can overcharge! That way they dont have to spend any money and they can increase their profits!!! wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

And why has natural gas gone up and has become at par with electricity? You going to tell me its because of gas shortage too?

We can be producing all kinds of electricity out of natural gas for cheap, not to mention all kinds of other alternate energy we have already going on. But that would get in the way of profits. Why spend money when you can make money right? mad.gif

I believe Power plants are a great investment. Our population will just keep growing and growing, and if this trend continues, they will just keep increasing the costs. With the Bull excuse, they cant keep up with demand!

This is just plane robbery. This is not supply and demand! This is control supply so we can manipulate the prices.

The one thing I have noticed when I am visiting Canada is the availability of power to some really remote places. I have seen some of the islands on Nipissing that had a fishing shack made of plywood and tarpaper with power run to it. Down here in the states they estimate the amount of power you will use in 2 years and anything above the estimate the builder has to pay up front. I have a house that is 200 yards from a main road and if they could run it overhead to within 250 ft of the house and then go under ground for 1000.oo but if I wanted it underground all the way with a transformer and concrete pad it would cost me 6500.oo

Art

We pay for those runs too Art. I was into $17,850 by the time I had one power plug in the hangar. $4350 to add one span down the concession road.. and then 1400 feet of 30KVA underground, the cement vault and $1700 for the transformer.

You can pay extra to get some kick back if anyone ever wants to go further with the line (within 5 years). So those Islands.. the first guy pays to get it to his.. and when the next guy comes along Hydro gives the first guy some money back and charges the next guy full price.. etc as it works it's way island to island.

Overhead.. you pay for your line/poles from the property line.. Hydro will pay for a pole transformer (but not one on the ground vault) and they even credit you for the wire to get across the road if the power line isn't on your side of the concession.

Edited by irishfield

Get a smart meter, you'll save big time :jerry::rofl2:

.........and then get a Smart Car.........

"I was told that costs are going up due to infrastructure requiring enhancement."

BINGO!!!!!!

When I can drive a car for 30 minutes without headlights on, there's no shortage of hydro.

The only shortage is $$$$ !!!

Hydro here is cheap. Having said that, one of the hardest things to change about a person, is their lifestyle.

If you're living on the edge, hydro bills may become an issue, but it's still cheap, in comparison.

Edited by nofish4me

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: This article really got my . . . itching!

CTV News: Bruce Power got millions to not produce electricity

‘The people of Ontario paid Bruce Power nearly $60 million in 2009 to not generate electricity for the province, CTV Toronto has learned. A deal between the nuclear generator, a private company, and the Ontario Power Authority (OPA) sets out a guarantee for a certain amount of power to be purchased -- even if it's not needed. The technical term is called surplus baseload generation. The agency agreed to pay Bruce $48.33 for each megawatt hour of electricity that was not needed. In 2009, demand for electricity was down in Ontario, largely as a result of the recession. This meant Bruce's nuclear reactors weren't operating at full capacity. As a result, the OPA paid Bruce power $57.5 million for about 1.2 terawatt hours of electricity that was not produced. A terawatt is a million megawatts.’

57.5 MILLION BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Thats enough for 2 brand new nuclear plants.

What asses.

I don't think a nuclear plant can be built for only $28.5 million.

I imagine it would be in the hundreds of millions.

Jump in anytime Irish, I need your help!. I love your math. My bill for last two months was almost even for all three rates! Looking into it this week. As for conservation I do my part. I do not drive one day a week!

I don't see why we PAY FOR NOT producing . . . and yet we have these pricing structures.

Doest it cost more to generate in the daytime than at night? Hell, I worked the night shift many, many, many years ago; we got paid more! I'm sure the guys working nights at Niagara/elsewhere are not paid by the KW/h or they would want the mid-peak or on-peak shift.

Maybe he should change his name to McScrewyou. Because I'll have a job after you vote me out.

[quote name='ketchenany' date='20 November 2010 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1290291982' post='521836'

Doest it cost more to generate in the daytime than at night? Hell, I worked the night shift many, many, many years ago; we got paid more! I'm sure the guys working nights at Niagara/elsewhere are not paid by the KW/h or they would want the mid-peak or on-peak shift.

Supply and demand.

During the day Monday-Friday offices, businesses etc are eating up power and many of our empty houses are using some power as well. Then at 5pm, give or take an hour, we go home; turn on lights, start cooking meals, running dish washers, dryers, air conditioners, opening fridges (at least that's where I keep my beer) surfing OFC and the power demand spikes. I think most brown outs happen around this time in the summer for that reason.

Guest Johnny Bass

wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif This article really got my . . . itching!

CTV News: Bruce Power got millions to not produce electricity

'The people of Ontario paid Bruce Power nearly $60 million in 2009 to not generate electricity for the province, CTV Toronto has learned. A deal between the nuclear generator, a private company, and the Ontario Power Authority (OPA) sets out a guarantee for a certain amount of power to be purchased -- even if it's not needed. The technical term is called surplus baseload generation. The agency agreed to pay Bruce $48.33 for each megawatt hour of electricity that was not needed. In 2009, demand for electricity was down in Ontario, largely as a result of the recession. This meant Bruce's nuclear reactors weren't operating at full capacity. As a result, the OPA paid Bruce power $57.5 million for about 1.2 terawatt hours of electricity that was not produced. A terawatt is a million megawatts.'

What the heck does a private company have to do with Ontario Hydro???Someone is definitely stealing money from the tax payers here!!!What kind of bull is it, that you have to pay a company that is supposedly run by the government, for electricity not consumed??? It just gets dumber and dumber! No actually they are smart and we are dumb!

I don't claim to be an expert on this situation, but here's what I understand. Ontario sold power cheap and at a loss for a few decades. Why? I Don't know. Finally, someone woke up and said "We can't do this any longer. We have to recover our losses that we've acummulated over the years". So here we are in massive debt and it's time to pay up. No politician can resolve this matter. End of story.

I don't claim to be an expert on this situation, but here's what I understand. Ontario sold power cheap and at a loss for a few decades. Why? I Don't know. Finally, someone woke up and said "We can't do this any longer. We have to recover our losses that we've acummulated over the years". So here we are in massive debt and it's time to pay up. No politician can resolve this matter. End of story.

You don't go 20 billion in debt for underselling power. You go 20 billion in debt because nuclear power costs billions and billions of dollars to create, maintain, and then mothball. The government was never properly charging the citizens for the true cost of nuclear power and now everyone is whining about it.

WOW, I feel for you guys.......I just recieved a letter from NYSEG Solutions (my electric supplier) and our rates have decrease from $0.0646 to $0.5817/kWh....rate is guaranteed for all of 2011.

My electric bill runs from about $45 to $70 per month depending on central A/C use in the summer months.

Rise up and demand lower rates......I could send you some Rednecks up your way for the revolution they keep talking about here in the southern states... :whistling:

BTW we have some of the highest rates in the country in the WNY area.

WOW, I feel for you guys.......I just recieved a letter from NYSEG Solutions (my electric supplier) and our rates have decrease from $0.0646 to $0.5817/kWh....rate is guaranteed for all of 2011.

My electric bill runs from about $45 to $70 per month depending on central A/C use in the summer months.

Rise up and demand lower rates......I could send you some Rednecks up your way for the revolution they keep talking about here in the southern states... :whistling:

BTW we have some of the highest rates in the country in the WNY area.

Billy, up hear, we have to many people that just say OH well what can you do, no sense complaining :blink: .

When our gas went up to $.75 a litre they were going to set up road blocks. It just jump $.40 over night and know one says a thing :P . We sit back and just believe some other bull story.

What's your gas now? Ours is almost $4.60 a US gallon.