NF..... Making Rouladen....

Burtess

A couple months ago my father passed (well not really passed, he still has a bunch of Rouladen left in him!!) the recipe to me as we spent the afternoon together cooking.

The ingredients: thin cut eye of round (I cut it myself), onion, pickle, bacon, paprika, sea salt, black pepper....

Rouladen11_12_10.jpg

Rouladen11_12_101.jpg

Seasoning the meat with paprika, sea salt, and black pepper....

Rouladen11_12_102.jpg

Arranging the other fillings....

Rouladen11_12_103.jpg

Rouladen11_12_104.jpg

Roll them up and tie with thread (Dad does this far better than me!!)....

Rouladen11_12_105.jpg

In the skillet.....

Rouladen11_12_106.jpg

Browning....

Rouladen11_12_107.jpg

Add the extra "good stuff"....

Picture001.jpg

Degalze the pan with juice from a previous roast (wanted to "keep it real" instead of using beef stock), and let it simmer....

Picture002.jpg

Damn... it smells good....

Burt :)

P.S. Lets eat!!! Made some schnitzel as well.....

Picture003.jpg

Edited by Burtess

Twenty years ago or more i did my apprenticeshp as a chef under a traditional German chef.

Ended up making tons of that stuff. Had to tenderize slices with meat hammer then woodpicked them after rolling.

Absolutely love the stuff but have not seen it for many years.

Great job, looks super yummy!

Oma used to make them when I was a lot younger,45+years ago,I remember she had to explain to the butcher at Dominion at Lawrence & Kingston Rd how to cut the meat, not a common cut. I can still smell the rouladen and fried potatoes. Maybe get off the keyboard an make some on sunday.

Have saved your pics and recipe to give it a try. Any chance you'd post the schnitzel recipe? Thanks.

No pics for the schnitzel but it is easy to make as well.

Pork or veal cutlet (scallopini), beat it fairly thin with a meat hammer.

Roll in flour - this dries the meat surface. Don't skip this step.

Dip in beaten egg and let excess drip off.

Cover in bread crumbs (I add some seasonings to the bread crumbs - Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, granulated garlic, black pepper, salt) - this next part is important - do not press the bread crumbs into the meat!!!

Fry till golden in vegetable oil at fairly high heat. I use canola (don't use olive). Use lots of oil, I use about 1/2-3/4". If you fry them in lots of oil and high heat they will not be greasy! Drain and lay on paper towel.

The result will be a cutlet enveloped by a thin, crisp, breading that floats around the meat (this is due to the method of breading). A squeeze of a lemon and your done. Eat them quick, they are fantastic fresh out of the pan. Still good the next day but not as good as freshly made.

Looks great! For better results use outside round or sirloin tip for rouladen.. eye of round is the worst for anything!

Eye of round is cheap!!

If I purchased all that meat already cut (from whatever cut of beef) in the store they regularly charge $14-15 per Kg. I had a full eye of round in cryovac for $2 per pound. All that meat cost me $12.... instead of $45.

And since you cook it so long, I think it almost becomes irrelevant where the meat comes from lol.... its all tender in the end.

thank you for the inspiration! I am making this as we speak! I could not find eye of round however.... so I am using top sirloin roast :)

G

I find what burt posted about the cost of meat these days,he,s doing good. Foods food.Lets eat.

Local food basic, had beef loin fast frys marked down. Pound them out and you got a great Rouladen. Im adding some hot peppers to mine.

Burt,what are you using for "thread" as you call it. Butchers tyne?

Edited by BrianB

Burt,what are you using for "thread" as you call it. Butchers tyne?

Just cotton sewing thread..... should have used white though as it was difficult to see the black after they were cooked. You can use tooth picks but with the thread you can seal the ends so that stuff doesn't fall out when cooking.

Edited by Burtess

Burtess, thank you for the recipe and method it smells and tastes delicious! this is the first time cooking with pickles for me... I am using Bicks extra garlic, Brian, I hit up my local Walmart, and grabbed two top sirloin for 12.75, they were 50% off... I had no intentions of freezing them, so they fit the bill perfectly! I still need to make Jigs dinner.... perhaps you can share it with us?