Why do Fishing shows promote this ?

AverageJoeFishing

It's not like I would have 50 fish 20 of them in the slot I would only have one fish...

And what would you do if you caught a second fish in such circumstances? Release it to die? I'm not trying to be difficult with you, but clearly you are admitting that you would break the law, which doesn't quite fly real good around here. You are young, and new here and have posted some impressive reports. You've gained some respect, but listen to the advice that's been given to you on this thread.

I know exactly what your saying but seagulls I feed them my chips when im on the lake lol Like i said in other reply's I've never kept one illegally before but If i Kill a fish its my fault and i would feel bad leaving it to float there , it's my doing stretcher.gif Legal or not I would feel wrong leaving it there and to my mind it's considered as wasting and wasting in my mind is wrong in any way ... If it feels wrong Sorry but I can't do it that fish is coming with me and i'll be happy to know that it's been carefully cared for and not wasted... My mind would be at ease clapping.gif I'm always pissed when fisherman around here talk about how they caught over there limit of fish and kept everything and kept lots in the slot I'm against that tottally and always will be i hate fisherman who do that mad.gif I always release slots and sometimes i go fishing and don't even bring back a fish, I only catch and release on some days I only keep some for the dinner table from time to time... I even release the big ones over the slot that are "LEGAL" lots of friends that come with me get pissed off at me because i release big fish , but i think about the future if i kill this fish this fish might be carrying thousands of eggs and i'lll be killing thousands of fish!! sad.gif I don't wanna argue with anyone this is just my opinion you guys do what you want , I just beleive it's wrong to leave your own fish floating there sorry its just how i feel ...

Fair enough...and I agree with you....but it's the consequences I fear. :good: the conservation laws I like to believe are there for a reason. Cheers.

Edited by ctdd2006

I agree with Dan about fishing barbless and with no live bait. It's usually very easy to remove barbless hooks even if they are deep, so I assume they'll fall out relatively soon. I personally think only barbless hooks should be legal.

But I agree with you about fishing shows promoting that when there are easy alternatives. What I do is carry small wire cutters with me. That way when I occasionally deep hook fish I can cut the hook and leave only a small point still in the fish. That way no big jigs or lures stuck in. I believe this gives the fish a much better chance.

Edited by timmeh

And what would you do if you caught a second fish in such circumstances? Release it to die? I'm not trying to be difficult with you, but clearly you are admitting that you would break the law, which doesn't quite fly real good around here. You are young, and new here and have posted some impressive reports. You've gained some respect, but listen to the advice that's been given to you on this thread.

Like i said Im not one to argue But if it would happend a second time well then i'm doing something wrong... It never happend to me once in my life I dont think it will ever happend the way i fish but i just wanna say that they shouldn't say that the hook will disovle when it clearly dosen't... I dont wanna argue with anyone i just wanna tell the truth i'm not a liar and just want fisherman to know my opinion if u dont like my opinion that's fine everyone have different views on things the world would be boring if everyone would think the same... and is it against the law to waste a gamefish I think about the law in that favor not in the other way... I trully beleive in releasing slot size fish and always will release them unless they die stretcher.gif Sorry this is how I feel I'm not gonna waste a fish that is not how my mind thinks I have trouble throwing a piece of meat in the garbage i won't be able to leave a fish there floating sad.gif I know lots of you won't agree with me i can trully understand but this main point of this topic was to prove that hooks don't rott out it's just not true fisherman need to stop beleive that they will thats the only thing i want people to know tongue.gif

I agree with Dan about fishing barbless and with no live bait. It's usually very easy to remove barbless hooks even if they are deep, so I assume they'll fall out relatively soon. I personally think only barbless hooks should be legal.

But I agree with you about fishing shows promoting that when there are easy alternatives. What I do is carry small wire cutters with me. That way when I occasionally deep hook fish I can cut the hook and leave only a small point still in the fish. That way no big jigs or lures stuck in. I believe this gives the fish a much better chance.

That is a great hint on giving the fish a better chance instead of cutting the line worthy.gif That is what i'm mad about , fishing shows shouldn't promote cutting the line and leaving the entire lure or jig there ?

Like i said Im not one to argue But if it would happend a second time well then i'm doing something wrong... It never happend to me once in my life I dont think it will ever happend the way i fish but i just wanna say that they shouldn't say that the hook will disovle when it clearly dosen't... I dont wanna argue with anyone i just wanna tell the truth i'm not a liar and just want fisherman to know my opinion if u dont like my opinion that's fine everyone have different views on things the world would be boring if everyone would think the same... and is it against the law to waste a gamefish I think about the law in that favor not in the other way... I trully beleive in releasing slot size fish and always will release them unless they die stretcher.gif Sorry this is how I feel I'm not gonna waste a fish that is not how my mind thinks I have trouble throwing a piece of meat in the garbage i won't be able to leave a fish there floating sad.gif I know lots of you won't agree with me i can trully understand but this main point of this topic was to prove that hooks don't rott out it's just not true fisherman need to stop beleive that they will thats the only thing i want people to know tongue.gif

but I've been told since I was a wee boy the fish and turtles have enzymes in their saliva that dissolve all that!? :tease::dunno::sarcasm::whistling: I'm gonna blame it on Italo!!! :tease:

but I've been told since I was a wee boy the fish and turtles have enzymes in their saliva that dissolve all that!? tease.gifdunno.gifsarcasm.gifwhistling.gif I'm gonna blame it on Italo!!! tease.gif

me too, Dad used to tell me that all the time.Maybe back then, but todays metals are far superior to those even 10 years ago.

me too, Dad used to tell me that all the time.Maybe back then, but todays metals are far superior to those even 10 years ago.

Its just a myth i've seen it with my own eyes and i've read it in the ontario outdoor issue of myth or fact ? they said it was a myth that a hook dosen't disolve in a fishs body

Also take into consideration saltwater vs. sweetwater.

If the hook is swallowed down into the stomach I'm sure it could dissolve faster. Hooks in the mouth could also fall out over time, or the fish just wears it like some girls and their sexy tongue rings.

To make a statement on a show that a hook will dissolve in 2 days in freshwater... :whistling:

Hooks don't dissolve in fresh water. At least good hooks don't. SOmeone made a point about the cheaper/crappier hooks and they're right.....might actually be better for the fish.

I don't use barbless but do cut the hooks if/when there's an issue.

Guest gbfisher

It does not happen often enough to be a problem. Get yerself a good pair of cutters and stay on it. It's all you can do. Sometimes you lose a few. :dunno: Don't sweat it.

As for leaving metal in humans or fish.. :D They leave metal in us people all the time and it sure doesn't kill us. Some of us even benefit from it!! :clapping:

just don't have an MRI...... :o ouch

I think you have to look at it this way. Yes that fish may die. But by throwing that individual fish back you are in fact protecting the resource from being pillaged by the unscrupulous who would use the excuse that it was going "die anyway" to keep OOS catches and fish protected by slot size restrictions. It would be just too easy to get away with or even fake it.

It does not happen often enough to be a problem. Get yerself a good pair of cutters and stay on it. It's all you can do. Sometimes you lose a few. dunno.gif Don't sweat it.

As for leaving metal in humans or fish.. biggrin.gif They leave metal in us people all the time and it sure doesn't kill us. Some of us even benefit from it!! clapping.gif

just don't have an MRI...... ohmy.gif ouch

There's a difference between installing metal pins in a human leg and a Hook stuck in a fishs throat lol Lets see if you survive if I hook you in the throat and cut the line haha sarcasm.gif

In catch and release fishing, whether it is a personal decision or a legal requirement some fish are always going to be lost. Some that you think are going to make it, don't, and some that you think will succumb probably don't. I eat fish, so if it is in season I'll keep a deeply hooked fish, if it is a legal requirement that it be released and it is hooked deep, I'll cut the line or hook.

Guest gbfisher

There's a difference between installing metal pins in a human leg and a Hook stuck in a fishs throat lol Lets see if you survive if I hook you in the throat and cut the line haha sarcasm.gif

I wasnt talking about pins in legs...everything from bullets that can't be taken out to metal in your eye to clamps in your bowel and so on. <_<

What everyone is missing here is that in fact he caught 2 fish were this had occurred, so it obvious the fish are still eating! and had survied, also when the fish are released, they do swim away, so how do they spoil?there is a difference in purposly killing the fish trying to remove a hook than leaving it in, leaving them in obviously aloud you to catch them again so it must have worked, also if you broke a fish off what do you do then?Honestly this thread is just cause for a pissing match.If you feel better keeping illegal fish so be it, but if you get caught i'm sure we won't here how you made out!The rule about leaving fish to spoil means releasing already dead fish with the intention!

What everyone is missing here is that in fact he caught 2 fish were this had occurred, so it obvious the fish are still eating! and had survied, also when the fish are released, they do swim away, so how do they spoil?there is a difference in purposly killing the fish trying to remove a hook than leaving it in, leaving them in obviously aloud you to catch them again so it must have worked, also if you broke a fish off what do you do then?Honestly this thread is just cause for a pissing match.If you feel better keeping illegal fish so be it, but if you get caught i'm sure we won't here how you made out!The rule about leaving fish to spoil means releasing already dead fish with the intention!

Why not something in the middle - do your best to cut out hte hook, or cut the hook off the lure...instead of just cutting the line.

Send an email to the show and let them know your thoughts and back them up with resources they can research themselves.

You never know, maybe they just need to be educated about it. Bottom line is anyone can have a fishing show if you have or can raise the money. It has nothing to do with your fishing experience, knowledge or ethics.

Edited by Harrison

I have caught lots of bass in tournaments where they have been hooked deep. You make the decision to not try and take your jig out and damage the fish more since they are already bleeding. In the livewell they go and I give them lots of oxygen. At the weigh in the fish is doing fine and the jig is laying in the bottom of my livewell. This has happened so often to me that it doesn't suprise me anymore. Bass have a way of regurgitating the obstruction out of their throats. Don't know how they do it, but they do it. I would say there is a 50/50 chance that they will work it out on their own.

Is it just me or have you guys/gals not caught a bunch of fish with the hook almost being passed out of the anus? I don't think the hook dissolves these days, but I have seen MANY occasions where the fish passes the hook/jig through their system. Basically 50-90% of the hook and all of the line will be hanging out the butt when the fish is caught and the fish is otherwise very healthy. What I assume in those cases is that the fish was gut hooked the person cut the line and the fish survived long enough to pass the bait and line through their system. Have seen it with both smallies and largies. I don't target anything else, but I've seen it with pike too. The line and hook is usually coated by a mucous or algae, so it is obviously a time consuming process, but it does work and the fish appears no worse for wear. Sometime the tube is still in tact and I learn a new colour to try - lol.

One thing for sure - when a big smallie is on the feed, you could have the world's fastest reflexes and most sensitive fingers, it doesn't matter, it can have a tube swallowed to the point where you see nothing but line heading down the fishes throat. It is a gut-churning feel, but you aren't retrieving that bait without killing the fish for sure and from what I've seen - those fish will pass the bait - at least some will, so I cut the line and hope for the best. I have tanked a few and had the occasional one regurgitate a tube jig that I otherwise could not retrieve without harming the fish, but that is a rarity. Usually it just gets swallowed deeper and deeper.

Charles