It appears that an OFN'er has caught a Canadian Record

Muskieman

Didn't take long for some of you to guess correctly lol. Yes, I am the one who caught the 27.5 pound freshwater drum.

I caught it trolling with fellow OFNers TonyB and Bunk in Adolphus Reach at the Bay of Quinte on Saturday October 23rd. It just happened to be my turn at a rod when the giant hit. We had a triple header at the time, and my fish peeled line like a salmon! We slowed the boat down to a crawl, but I still wasn't making much headway. The fish was just staying deep and heavy, and every once in a while peeled line again. Bunk cleared lines and stopped the boat after his fish was in so Tony (fighting another good drum) and I could get our fish in. My fish still fought hard and had me wondering what the heck I had on, thinking it may be a salmonid. When my fish finally breached the water's surface near the boat, all three of us yelled "whoooooaaaaaaaa" at the same time. It was really a sight to behold. I forget who netted it in all the excitement, but thanks to both of you on the team work to help me get my fish in!

We weighed the fish a couple of times on Tony's Rapala digital scale to make sure the exact weight. It was exactly 27.5 pounds. We didn't know if it was a record fish or not, and I held it in the water while Tony tried to find out what the record was on his Blackberry. He found a 54lb drum as a world record, and I ended up releasing the fish. We didn't even get measurements, as Tony didn't have a tape on his boat. I wondered about what the Canadian or Ontario record was, and after talking to some buddies on the radio, realized it could have been at least an Ontario record. I'm not sure if it would have been a Canadian record or not (can't find any info on Canadian record fish), but it would have shattered the Ontario record had I kept it.

I really didn't realize just what I let go until after. I was still trying to confirm if it was an Ontario or Canadian record today, and still am about the Canadian record. I know it really doesn`t matter as I let the fish go, but it would just be nice to know for sure. I really wish that I had kept the fish now, and feel bad I didn`t.

Even though it will not be an official record, the three of us know what we put in the boat and Tony`s scale is accurate. It was a true giant fish that put up an unbelievable fight. TonyB, Bunk and I will always have the photos of our special day on the water, and the memories will last a lifetime.

I`ll post a seperate report with some details about our weekend Quinte trip. Thanks for the suspence Randy lol.

Here are pics of the beast.

Quinte_10-2010_36.jpg

Quinte_10-2010_35.jpg