Is that what I think it is???

cjgraham

Well I went out today to one of my favorite steelhead rivers just north of the Sault. Caught two bows and then this Hog of a lake trout. i thought I had a huge king on but wow is all I can say....just goes to show you never quite know what you'll get.

71632_757113576718_55702175_41262452_7148657_n.jpg

Lots of them go up the Niagara in the fall, also those backcross, mostly Laker Splakes used to run Georgian Bay Tribs back in the 80/90's. Used to get a ton of them steelheading in the fall but they were OOS after the end of Sept, shame too, they were very good eating. :wallbash:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the mnr has done angling surveys on a particular north of ssm trib to research the possibility of populations that go into rivers to spawn. from what i've gathered they've never proven anything but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence lakers in rivers in fall. what they are there for, who knows.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

My buds and I have caught lakers at this time of year in rivers for over 20 years while targeting salmon and rainbows. Common occurrence up here on Superior tribs. Usually the larger rivers.

The lower Nipigon has a large Laker population year round. Most are stocked but there's some naturals too. A friend and I once caught 19 Lakers in a morning there a few years ago.

I can believe that. On a trib farther east at the mouth of a river, 5-7 yrs. ago, we caught approx. 25-30 in the first weekend of October once. Never had the same luck ever again, maybe 2-5. All were released. But they did get the heartrate going, imaging they were Coho's.

The lower Nipigon has a large Laker population year round. Most are stocked but there's some naturals too. A friend and I once caught 19 Lakers in a morning there a few years ago.

When I worked up there in the early 80's...on Helen Lake... I heard the same thing. Can't vouch for it myself as I was only there during the summer months...but I 100% believed the folks who told me those stories.

BTW nice laker :thumbsup_anim:

Well it definitely got my heart rate up. The run I got her in led into a deep dark hole at the bend of the river....a good 5k's up from the mouth of Superior. I'm just wondering if it was a resident??? not sure on that but shes back in there safe and sound.

I caught one in Oshawa river before when I was a kid. It was during the salmon run and I had no idea if it was a laker or not because I had never seen one before. Brang it home for my grandfather and sure enough, female laker, got a bunch of skein from her too.