Unbelievable

HTHM

I didn't miss any point. :rolleyes: Yes they were billed the $75 ahead of time, and if they paid it they MAYBE wouldn't have lost everything. My point was about still fighting the fire and THEN billing them the total cost of doing so AFTERWARDS. Just like if they didn't have fire insurance on the unit, they will have to PAY for the services to get rebuilt or what ever.

So what'd the responding truck do, call & check on the surrounding exposures to see if they were paid up before deciding to protect them or not?...Ooops Mr. Neighbour, you're not paid up either, so if your house catches fire as a result of your neighbour, we're going to sit and watch it burn as well.

You're telling me that you'd stand & watch the initial fire spread to other houses and not REACT if it was known they hadn't paid the $75? I'd be more concerned about the ramifications of NOT acting.

If someone from 'out of town' gets in a car accident, they will get a bill for the response. We don't check for valid car insurance 1st.

NOPE, I still think you're swinging and missing the point just like the Cincinnati Reds last night...by your thinking then it's fine and dandy that no one pays for fire protection until they call for help....that can't work and you know it.....again, how about if I only purchase a Ontario fishing license AFTER I'm caught not having one. And of course with no fine whatsoever. Maybe no one should get car insurance until after the accident..... :whistling:

most likely rural we would agree? if a structure fire has progressed enough to threaten/ignite adjacent properties its toast. especially with 3 ff's working off a 30 year old firetruck.( in a town whose 2500 residents, lets say own 500 homes, each contributing 75$ = 37500 not enough to cover one ffs wage for the year by the way not to mention half million dollar appparauts). almost ALL rural properties will be destroyed by fire in a rural situation, even in wealthy areas with serious volunteer or composite firefighters. 400 in taxes wont get you fire protection even with a 75 levy.

Not sure exactly how much our volunteer firemen make, but it isn`t much more than minimum wage, and they only get it for training and when they are fighting a fire. They don`t hang around the station and get paid.

There are some decent size small cities in the area here that still use a volunteer fire department. Instead of paying to have a full time fire crew it allows the mayor to make 100k a year or more. Them civil servants aren`t to civil when they run the town.

If the people won`t pass tax increase for fire and police protection? It has to be passed to be included in the property taxes.

My property taxes are half of what Medina Ohio`s are 10 miles away, but we don`t pay to support a mayor, city council, law director, chief cook and bottle washer and family and friends jobs of all. 3 trustee`s making 15-20 k a year part-time handle everything.

Guest Johnny Bass

Couldn't have said it better myself

Chance, i now think you are the smartest guy on the board. :D:D

All I have to say is WOW!

Certain things should be covered by your property taxes. And two big ones being police and firefighters. Firefighters are a very important part of a community. They do more then fight fires.When lives are at stake, there should be no risks. Same as wearing a seatbelt or lifejacket.

Oh, today I seen someone drowning. I know CPR but I decided not to try to save them because I might get sued. :rolleyes:

Edited by Johnny Bass

As the original poster, what I was commenting on was the fact that one has to pay an additional amount over and above one's taxes in order to get the services of one's local fire department.

hummm, i read and re read the post, but dont see a comment at all.you put the topic in and like all controversial posts, we ran with it HTHM.

don't laugh to much they do that up here. I know here in Toronto they always ask you for your insurance info so they can bill them. It's kind of funny we pay for the trucks and their salaries from our taxes and we still end up paying more.

What do you mean "in Toronto they always ask you for your insurance info so they can bill them"? Are you talking about car fires? Structure fires? Rescues? Please explain.

This beggars belief!

to beggar belief

1. (intransitive) To appear implausible or unbelievableIt beggars belief to suppose that corporate policies can always pursue the best interests of a company.

just saying that without a clear indication of the topic, we all focused on the fire and the firefighters not doing anything rather than the unbelievable idea that we have to pay extra for firefighting service, which btw,i find unbelievable as well.

peace

paul

...by your thinking then it's fine and dandy that no one pays for fire protection until they call for help....that can't work and you know it.....again, how about if I only purchase a Ontario fishing license AFTER I'm caught not having one.

Oh...so when you don't by your fishing license someone kills your dog and cat to teach you a lesson? :asshat: You should actually take a few seconds and think about what happened here. The fire consumed everything. Family pets died and all their possessions were destroyed. That includes every single possession that the wife and children owned. Every family photograph...anything of meaning. Nothing like teaching a lesson to someone by killing the family pets and destroying everything that gives the wife and children's lives meaning. Do you have one single empathetic bone in your body? You completely lack any sense of proportion here. I get allowing natural consequences to happen when you don't buy your fishing license. You took the chance and you pay a big fine if you are caught. This is different, the lesson is taught by making others suffer and by killing animals....and why? A forgotten fee of $75. Edited by scuro2

Oh...so when you don't by your fishing license someone kills your dog and cat to teach you a lesson? :asshat: You should actually take a few seconds and think about what happened here. The fire consumed everything. Family pets died and all their possessions were destroyed. That includes every single possession that the wife and children owned. Every family photograph...anything of meaning. Nothing like teaching a lesson to someone by killing the family pets and destroying everything that gives the wife and children's lives meaning. Do you have one single empathetic bone in your body? You completely lack any sense of proportion here. I get allowing natural consequences to happen when you don't buy your fishing license. You took the chance and you pay a big fine if you are caught. This is different, the lesson is taught by making others suffer and by killing animals....and why? A forgotten fee of $75.

Who said ANYTHING about "teaching a lesson" not me ONLY you ! ! !

It's about responsibility to finance a fire department....my point is if everyone only wants to pay after they have a fire how can a fire department even be formed, yet maintained.

I have been a volunteer firefighter for over 35 years and I believe I have some knowledge on the cost of running a fire department. If everyone was like the folks that had this fire there would be no trucks to send to the fire in the first place. Stop being a :asshat: and think before you type.

Not sure exactly how much our volunteer firemen make, but it isn`t much more than minimum wage, and they only get it for training and when they are fighting a fire. They don`t hang around the station and get paid.

Paul, my brother was a volunteer fireman and if I recall correctly they were payed $3000 per year and recieved it in one lump sum payment once every year. He left the job about 17 years ago so I don't know what type of salary they recieve now.

I have a friend who's a volunteer in this area but I have no idea what their payed but I'll ask him next time I see him.

Edited by lew

NOPE, I still think you're swinging and missing the point just like the Cincinnati Reds last night...by your thinking then it's fine and dandy that no one pays for fire protection until they call for help....that can't work and you know it.....again, how about if I only purchase a Ontario fishing license AFTER I'm caught not having one. And of course with no fine whatsoever. Maybe no one should get car insurance until after the accident..... :whistling:

Oh Billy, Billy, Billy Bob, I guess you're having trouble seeing the swing & hit, been to the optometrist lately?

Gotta get that tunnel vision checked! :dunno:

Let's assume that you really don't know what I'm thinking, and you're just reading the words I've typed. I know, I know, it's so easy to jump to conclusions and warp things to your advantage, however I don't THINK I made any reference to it being 'fine & dandy' that no one pays the protection fee.

Boy, I can only imagine who's crew they'd rather see pull up to their house fire...Mr. "gotta get paid 1st" BillyBob :( , or Mr. "I'm Hooked" on saving the place. :thumbsup_anim:

I would think a small town service who is cash strapped might actually look forward to the opportunity to be "hired for service" and paid actual cost coverage. :dunno:

But hey, what do I know about small town finances & mindset, I just do what I can for the 160,000 people who rely on us to act.

Getting car insurance after an accident? Now you're just being silly. But wait, if you're stupid enough to not have car insurance...will the fire dept still not come to your collision? You see, in our neck of the woods the fire dept responds as needed, to even those out of town motorists who haven't directly contributed to the city bank account ahead of time.

Anywho, for those interested, here's a link to the news site with a video clip of the incident:

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Firefighters-watch-as-home-burns-to-the-ground-104052668.html

...and a Happy Thanksgiving weekend to everyone! Gotta go find some Trout with my name on it! :thumbsup_anim:

Paul, my brother was a volunteer fireman and if I recall correctly they were payed $3000 per year and recieved it in one lump sum payment once every year. He left the job about 17 years ago so I don't know what type of salary they recieve now.

I have a friend who's a volunteer in this area but I have no idea what their payed but I'll ask him next time I see him.

I was looking into it out my way as I'd like to help and figured it'd be a good way to get involved with the community. They make $20 an hour here while fighting fires and get paid for training as well. But the guys agree'd to pool the 2 or 3 grand a year that everybody is "supposed" to get and keep tabs of who show's up to clean and maintain the trucks and property of the station, and who comes to fundraisers and kids events and such and the more you show up to do that stuff the more money you get from the pool at the end of the year. I'm hoping to get involved if I can!

Cheers,

Ryan

Does anyone else think Gene Cranick should have observed the burn ban that was in force and not have started the fire that destroyed his shed and mobile home? Or at least tend to the illegal fire instead of leaving the scene and going inside for a shower while the blaze was ripping and roaring beside the shed?

I suppose the answer would be to take away the non payment option and add this to their taxes.Funding must come from somewhere and a "pay per incident "way of thinking does not even come close to the amount needed.If there were no funding then there would be no argument over who they would rather see pull up to their house fire as NOBODY would be pulling up!

Oh Billy, Billy, Billy Bob, I guess you're having trouble seeing the swing & hit, been to the optometrist lately?

Gotta get that tunnel vision checked! :dunno:

Let's assume that you really don't know what I'm thinking, and you're just reading the words I've typed. I know, I know, it's so easy to jump to conclusions and warp things to your advantage, however I don't THINK I made any reference to it being 'fine & dandy' that no one pays the protection fee.

Boy, I can only imagine who's crew they'd rather see pull up to their house fire...Mr. "gotta get paid 1st" BillyBob :( , or Mr. "I'm Hooked" on saving the place. :thumbsup_anim:

I would think a small town service who is cash strapped might actually look forward to the opportunity to be "hired for service" and paid actual cost coverage. :dunno:

But hey, what do I know about small town finances & mindset, I just do what I can for the 160,000 people who rely on us to act.

Now there you go again..... :whistling:

My eye sight is FINE and I'll match it with anyone since I had Lasik Surgery about 10 years ago from Canadain Dr Andrew Taylor that now moved his office to NF, Ontario.....I was there yesterday with my wife as she just had her eyes done 1 month ago and had a check up. Mine eye sight is 20/15 how's yours. :thumbsup_anim:

I live a in small town and have belonged to the fire department for over 35 years....I'm not just pulling Bull out of the thin air...

Our department gets it equipment and trucks from the town (taxes) but the companies themselves have to do fund raisers to finance their companies.

We go thru HUNDREDS of hours of training and drilling EACH YEAR to be qualified to be a firefighter, truck driver/operator, fire police, etc.... Not to mention meetings and fundraisers. And here's what we get paid....ZERO...we are a fully volunteer department as almost all are here EXCEPT in cities.

Bob

Guest Johnny Bass

can they like put out the fire and then ask for the fee after?

No because then everyone wouldn't pay until their house got burned down.

Billy Bob you are to be commended. It's guys like you that help keep the rest of us safe. Thank you.

Thanks, but the real hero's are over seas serving us well ! ! !

SORRY if I was defensive, but when a fellow firefighter is under the gun, the rest of us naturally come to their defense.

Bob