New Title

asdve23rveavwa

So, here we are with a few great months of open water fishing to go. Not to mention some great steelheading in November/December. However, for some perverse reason, I'm thinking hard water fishing...probably due to Ryan's photos of him and his daughter in the hut.

My question for all the hard core ice anglers out there is do I go with my original intention of buying a manual 8" auger, or is power the way to go. Keep in mind I don't have an ATV or snowmobile, so I am the "pack-horse" pulling the equipment out on the ice.

Thanks!!

Edited by FRANKIE65

I just got into ice fishing this past winter almost exclusively on lake Simcoe for lakers. I don’t have an ATV or snowmobile either. I can’t imagine walking the distances we walked on the ice with a gas powered auger (Anywhere from 4-7km in total per trip depending on how the action and snow was). I picked up an 8” Finbore III and it was way easier to cut holes than any other manual auger I’ve tried. I prefer getting both hands cranking VS 1 single one. It takes me about 20-30 seconds to cut a hole through 2ft of ice…It takes most people about 10 or less with the same auger :lol:

CWpowell said it. its all about time and money... and well how stuburn you are (how many holes are you going to punch) I say to myself im going to punch only 2 or 3 a spot.. but on some lakes like kawarthas you will punch a hole to find out its all weeds.. or no weeds then you go on to try a new hole and a new one after that and so on.. it can get tiring (thats where you would want a power auger)

personally I use a 6'' or 8'' hand auger and well it does the job. the thing to keep in mind tho is you have to constantly sharpen the blades or else you'll be sore!

also different sized holes/blades for different species..

if your going to just go for pan fish.. 4-6''.. walleye 6''.. walleye/pike/lakers/whities.. 6-8-10''

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i second the finn bore if you go the route of the manual but where a 6 inch is a breeze to cut holes, an 8 can be a devil, especially "run n gun" laker fishing.

I carry a 6" normark with new blades every year. If they ain't sharp they don't cut!!!

I also now carry a 32" demolition hand saw with me. I picked up this beast for $20 at CTC and it goes through ice like butter. Drill 2 6" holes side by side and zip out the ice between with the hand saw. Did it a couple times last year and it works out fine when you need the larger hole for lakers, walleye.

Just for the record I pulled an 18lb laker through that 6" hole a few years ago. It was snug but doable.

After a few years cutting with a manual 8" auger I'll never pick up another one. I can blast through a 6" hole 3 times faster with sharp 6". It amazing how that extra 2" on the auger adds to the effort required.

Gas augers are nice. And there's times that you absolutely need one. But for all around fishing a 6 or 8 manual is all you need. Don't lend your auger to strangers or people that are clumsy. Its very easy to damage the blades. A new set that is well taken care of should cut through hundreds of inches without too much effort. One little knick in the blade and you'll be cursing. Some people say you can sharpen them others say its a waste of time. I've never tried. Just take care of the blades and replace them every 2-3 seasons. You'll know when its time.

Thanks for all the responses, so far, guys. I'm gathering from what I've read that the manual is the way to go for me...perhaps a 6" for walleye/perch/panfish, AND, an 8" for those Simcoe lakers. Now if I could catch one as big as Lloyd did, for anyone who hasn't seen the video it was MASSIVE, I'd have to get the sled and a 10"er :lol:

Ive always used a manual auger,but cutting holes all day is tiresome.I purchased a power auger a few years back,glad I did!As a few mentioned a nik in the blade,or lending it out to a newbee,it becomes a pain in the rear!

I considered the weight factor as well Frank! I added skiis to my otter sled!Made pulling a lot easier!All the gear inside,clam 2000 hut on top,rods and auger on top of that!

I have both

I hate to drag the gas auger by hand

and here is Lloyds big trout..starts at about 2;40 into the video

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5yM0yMBjw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5yM0yMBjw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5yM0yMBjw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I have both

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5yM0yMBjw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5yM0yMBjw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5yM0yMBjw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thanks, Terry...I've told a few guys about that video, now they can actually see it.

IM an old guy so its gas for me now , but I think the niose it makes , slows down my fishing as it takes almost an hour before things calm down after punching a few holes , most of my ice time is spent on the bog and the noise my augger makes in the shallow water must scare every thing in a kilo radius ,might not be so bad in deep lake trout water on simcoe , but like I said Im old and even tho a good manual will cut ice like butter , only have so many turns in these poor shoulders left .

After a few years cutting with a manual 8" auger I'll never pick up another one. I can blast through a 6" hole 3 times faster with sharp 6". It amazing how that extra 2" on the auger adds to the effort required.

The difference in ice between a 6" (28.26 sq.inch) and an 8" (50.24 sq. inch) hole is 78% more for the 8"!!!! That is why it is so much more effort to cut over the 6".

Burt :)

I have 2 black plastic slays they are about 2.5 ft by 3 get the hard plastic ones. The smallest bungee cord on each side hooking them together. Then I made 2 open end boxes for my power auger Strikemaster 4 stroke lightest available. Adjust the boxes so there is some pressure from bungee cords. Add fairly long ropes that are also for safety. Hauled 2 different people out over the years that weren't getting out. And you have all that exacter room for rest of stuff. Caring sucks.

I'd get a Manual auger and take the extra you save from the gas auger and buy yourself a portable Graph or flasher !!

Got that...the auger is my last piece of equipment I need...well, other than maybe another rod and reel set-ups, cause we all know you can NEVER have too many :D

Got that...the auger is my last piece of equipment I need...well, other than maybe another rod and reel set-ups, cause we all know you can NEVER have too many :D

When we hook up this winter, Ill have my gas auger and drill holes for Julie while you crank away with the manual one lol

It would also depend on the amount of ice fishing you are planing to do.

and I wouldn't recommend using an 8'' auger to much in ice grater the 10''.

If you are walking, there are only two augers that I would recommend, Husqvarna and Nills Master power augers, they are both around 19 lbs and are the lightest augers on the market :)

I have both

Terry I cant wait till we get back again this winter Walter should be a few pounds bigger. :clapping::thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

If you are walking, there are only two augers that I would recommend, Husqvarna and Nills Master power augers, they are both around 19 lbs and are the lightest augers on the market :)

where would one find one of these brands?