HUGE Waves Out East

craigdritchie

Environment Canada just issued its latest marine weather warning for southern Nova Scotia, where Hurricane Earl is expected to make landfall early tomorrow morning. They're forecasting waves to 12 metres off the south coast. That's big enough to swallow a four-storey apartment building.

If anyone wants to see how seaworthy their boat is ........

Bin there and done it. Nothing like drawing cable watch in a force 10 or worse and sitting in the eyes. had that displeasure aboard Margaree.

My uncle told me of a few times when the Bonnie stuffed a wave. They hung on to whatever they could and prayed the bow would come up.

ugh... should this storm hit, Nova Scotia... you will be seeing me on the East Coast... albeit after my weekend at Bernies!

Looking forward to going "down home"

lets just hope I am not there for months!...

Not that that would be a badthing!

G

Lew I'm very impressed with your computer skills! Our family was actually just in Myrtle Beach, left just before the storm went by. Apparently in that area the storm was still far enough off shore it wasn't too severe. Here's hoping the storm continues to downgrade over the next day so our friends on the east coast are safe.

Lew I'm very impressed with your computer skills!

I had nothing to do with making that picture Roger, it was all Terry's handiwork from a few years back. He just combined a picture of me with a musky and a painting of the ship I served on in the Navy.

It's a funny picture and just seemed to fit this thread :lol:

Bigugli

I worked on the fire dept with lots of ex-navy guys, for 30 years.

Always liked to listen to the tales of storms at sea.

As you mentioned, and according to the stories, the Bonny's deck was 90' above the waterline. These guys talked about the bow falling below the surface, during a storm.

According to them they had to go in for repairs, after the deck was separated, and raised up from the hull, after one storm.

I would've had to check my pants after a ride like that!

Nature doesn't know her own strength, and has no limits.

Dave

I was 7 when Hazel hit. I can remember my mother cooking supper in the coal furnace, cause the hydro was out.

A one frying pan dinner, long before Hamburger Helper!

Edited by floatman55

If you haven't been in the middle of a big storm on the Atlantic Ocean, with waves the size of hockey areans, it's hard to explain what it's like, but it's something you'll never forget.

It's kinda the most exhilarating thing you'll ever go thru while also being the most terrifying, if that makes any sense :lol:

As for Hurricane Hazel, I was also 7 years old and remember it very well, although we lived in the east end of town while the major damage and 83 deaths occurred in the west end around the Humber River valley.

We lived down by Lake Ontario near Ashbridges Bay but my folks had just built a new home at Leslie & Lawrence in Don Mills and that was the day we were moving into the new home. I remember very vividely seeing the movers carrying our furniture out to the truck and everytime they set something light down on the sidewalk it would take off. Good thing we had lots of friends on the street cause they were all kept busy chasing our belongings around the nieborhhood.

Funny memories for me as a child but very tragic for thousands of other Torontonians.

i was too young to remember the actual hurricane. i recall listening to the panic in my parents voices and the fear all around. i had an aunt hazel at the time, and for years i was terrified of her..i guess hearing the name hazel used in conversations about so much death and destruction really affected this childs mind alot.

I got home from Providence Rhode Island around 6:15 this morning. I had to help my 2nd oldest daughter move back home. Figures, the rain started there just as I was backing the trailer we rented up to her front door!

Close to a 700 mile drive back to Ohio with rain all the way at night through the construction zones. The trip there by a different route was dry at least.

It rained until I got about 15 miles from home. No place on any coast that I would care to live. It is pretty out there, the drive going there on I-80 thru PA was scenic, and coming home on I-90 was also.

Got there around 4 am Friday morning and on the way back at 4 pm Friday afternoon. Road trips suck when you can`t spend at least a couple weeks recovering!