speed fishing !!!

mercman

My brother invited me to go fishing this weekend in his new Ranger bass boat. I jumped at the chance cause i love bass fishing. Up till now, ive never gone more than maybe 15 or 20 mph in different fishing boats, mine only has an 8hp on it, and thats always been good enough for my needs.

5 am, its a cool 10 degrees, we get to this lake just west of Ottawa, put our gear in the boat and he tells me the rules. "if it doesnt have carpet, dont step on it, keep rods and lures off the gelcoat, and have fun."

We backed away from the dock, and he hands me some ear protection. "whats that for" i said " to keep you from going deaf" he said. Now my heart starts to race, am i going to make itblink.gif

He points out the "holy crap handles" and slams his foot to the floor. i almost fainted. The boat went into a 45 degree stand, and as the bow began to fall, the wind began to howl, and the pressure difference between my protected ears and the outside air rushing over my face made my ears pop !

now i mentioned it was 10degrees. With a 65 mile an hour wind, whats the windchill factor,-40 i thinkohmy.gif

65 mph on water is a sureal exoerience. if i looked forward it was a blur, but when i looked to the side towards shore, we hardly seemed to be going that fast. He pointed to his GPS 65.8 mph, yup, thats what i thought

tease.gif i looked over to see my dear bro laffing his butt cheeks off. i looked down and saw that the wind had lifted up my sweater and shirt, and my big bare belly was taking the full -40 wind uncovered. i tried to pull the shirt back down, but it was twised behind me in an improved cinch knot that wasnt coming undone. In just under 9 minutes, we were in his sweet spot, 10 miles up the lake. My hands were so cold and shakey, i couldnt tie the hook onto my line. I had taken my hat off, and sat on it, but i think the wind lifted me a few times, cause it was no where to be found. my brother said something about where he thought it may be, and we laffed like idiots.

Make a long story short, we caught our quota of nice LMB before noon, and had a great time. His boat drives like a cadilac, minus the shock absorbers, and is the most comfortable fishing platform i have ever been on. i'll post some pics if i can figure out how. It says that they are too big to upload. Going again is September, cant wait.

But does it catch fish??

like my brother said, there are faster boats out there, but he never caught fish at 60 mph.

Other than a comfortable fishing platform, you're no better off than any other boat. you maybe able to fish more spots in a given time frame, but a smaller slower boat has its advantages too.

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds like a blast. I had the opportunity about 10 or so years ago to go on a 200 + H.P bass boat but turned it down. He said I would only have to pay for the gas and that it guzzles alot of gas. He wanted $80 for the day. Remember, this was well over 10 years ago.

LOL Johnny, ya gas can be an issue. My SeaRay had a 75 gallon tank, docked at a marina and the fuel prices for on the water fill ups average a bit higher. It wasn`t too hard to push the limits of the fuel tank in a busy weekend, of fishing or just cruising around.

If I used a 6 gallon tank of gas on my 35hp and smaller boat I considered it a run and gun day on smaller inland lakes. A lot of the lakes and rivers here have expansive no wake zones, one river we fished often is 6mph until you get out into Lake Erie, and you could catch good fish in the river. So on rough lake days or after work open tournaments it was a favorite. You could weigh in 10-15 pounds of bass and never put the gas motor down.

It is nice to have the speed, you don`t always have to use it? Bass boats just make a nice stable fishing platform under most condition.

Haha i remember my first Bass boat experience. It was about 8 years ago. I was fishing my first club tournament we launch my heart was racing for blast off. not paying attention to the boater and looking at every other boat lining up for blast off. i turn back to mention that this is my first real bass boat experience only to see him putting on a helmet. all i thought was FML

It seems that owning a 65mph+ Bass boat is more about going fast than actually enjoying what fishing is about...Relaxing,enjoying the peace and quiet...

most people think that till they own one, I relax more, fish more am more comfortable and when i am done fishing i can cruise the lake checking out all the girls

Sounds like a good time, Paul.

all i could think of was Will Smith in Independance day when he got to fly the saucer. I got to get me one of these !!!

had a blast, but i'd be happy with a princecraft pro series and a 70hp...maybe next yearwhistling.gif

Sounds like a great day, fun report to read. Spent over two years running around in Rangers over 20 years ago and love every minute of it. It wasn't just about the speed though, it was also about the comfort of the ride while running and while fishing. Also loved the storage on the boat.

A Junebug is worse, trust me...

OR A LOON MAYBE !!!

lots of loons on the lake, i could just see showing up in emergency and having the nurse say. so what seems to be the problem.

i have a loon in my face.

how did you get a looney stuck in your face??

no, not a looney, a loon......rofl2.gif

most people think that till they own one, I relax more, fish more am more comfortable and when i am done fishing i can cruise the lake checking out all the girls

I guess Bass boat owners are like Harley owners...They both are under the impression everyone wishes they had one too! I could afford either but would rather have neither!

I guess Bass boat owners are like Harley owners...They both are under the impression everyone wishes they had one too! I could afford either but would rather have neither!

I guess some people are just that much smarter than everyone else that they can DEFINE "what fishing is about" for everyone and be sanctimonious towards anyone that falls outside of their definition.

Charles

hey each to there own, I'll never own a deep-v or a tin boat again, i enjoy fishing from my bass boat to me it's perfect platform for what i do, now if i feel like towing hardware my buddy has a lund

hey each to there own, I'll never own a deep-v or a tin boat again, i enjoy fishing from my bass boat to me it's perfect platform for what i do, now if i feel like towing hardware my buddy has a lund

clapping.gif

in my brothers case, he is living a dream. something he wanted since he's a kid, now at 50, he's a kid all over again.

the way i see it, he and his wife make good money. kids are all grown up, fishing is his only vice. and he gets to live a dream. who could ask for more !