Fishing in the rain

splashhopper

The only time I have off and it rains..... :wallbash:

Am thinking of heading out to one of the local reservoirs where I can get some partial cover under the trees and drop some jigs or dark heavy Senko's.

It's meditative for me.

Do any of you try fishing in the rain for bass?

If so, what type of lures or baits do you all use?

Thanks

Splashhopper

Only thing that bothers me is in the London region thunder and lightening happen quite alot with the rain.

Bass can be very aggressive in the rain so senkos and crankbaits and spinners should work well for you.

I'd choose a pond over a reservoir considering how bad the algae is lately but your call...should still find some fish.

Did alright today in a little rain on the river. When it rains I usually try to switch over to baits with more movement and/or noise than I may typically use. The rain may stir up the water a little, plus with the clouds reducing light I think it's important to get the fishes attention.

No sane person wants to fish in those high wind, thunder and lightning type storms, but a slow steady rain or drizzle can make for great fishing.

July 2008 and 2009 were very rainy, and they were two of the best months of bass fishing I have ever had.

Use the same baits that you always use, it isn't raining where the bass are!

Did alright today in a little rain on the river. When it rains I usually try to switch over to baits with more movement and/or noise than I may typically use. The rain may stir up the water a little, plus with the clouds reducing light I think it's important to get the fishes attention.

Ryan and I got some fish today but nothing huge. Very slow day for our location.

Ryan will post a report. Can't wait to get out with you sometime Tim

Go fish when you can. If you are waiting for the perfect day it probably won't happen. Be safe and enjoy the time you have. I was out today and once we found the walleyes we had our 12 in 45 minutes.

That's what I do.. I fish as much and as often as I can.

I will likely be doing some latenight fishing tonite though.

Top water frogs, buzz baits and jitterbugs for an hour or so.

Then up early to go to Thamesville for a 9am appointment.

Might get there an hour early and try the Thames near my appointment.

Some of the best days I have had fishing for bass has been in the rain. Not sure what it is doing there, but a slow steady rain here most of the day, and after a 4 day or so dry spell. My view a perfect day to hit the water, no thunder or lightning here, mild winds. Rain knocks or washes bugs into the water, food for bait fish and small fish, they start feeding and get careless and the predators start feeding on them. It can cool things down and puts oxygen in the water, a win - win deal.

One trip to Ontario we had about 6 hours of dry weather in a week, still caught fish, and some good ones. A day like today is a lot more comfortable than when it is 45-50 degrees out and raining. Yes bass can find a plastic worm in the water even with rain beating on the surface, day or night.

Some of my best days were during the rain. I fished a Pike&Walleye tournament years ago and it started raining real hard with no wind. I moved to a big point with lots of boulders and grass to cast for some pike. I wasn't there 5 minutes and got my fist fish on, it was a 6.5lb walleye, 3 to 4 ft of water casting a husky jerk. I caught 2 more in the same spot within half hour with none under 5 lbs, all walleye. Needless to say I won the tourney, and prize for biggest walleye. 1500 bucks thank you very much. I think because of the rain coming down so hard I was able to get in shallow without spooking the fish, so yes fishing in the rain can be fantastic as it provides natural stealth.

Rain can definitely be a good thing if you have the proper gear to stay comfortable when it is cold. The rain actually helps to blur the surface of the water so the fish cant see you.

I recall one outing at a small clear creek for rainbows this past spring, I was trying everything, but as soon as I got anywhere near the bank the fish would take off. It started raining fairly hard and I kept fishing, sure enough not even 2 minutes after the rain started I was into a decent rainbow, not 20 minutes later and I was into another one a little smaller. The rain stopped and it was the same story as before, couldnt even get near the fish.

I dont mind a little bit of rain, but lightning is where I draw the line, I have seen some crazy people out in lightning storms, mainly from shore, but they can have those fish, I will keep my life, no sense in standing out in a lightning storm with a long graphite lightning rod!

I found this year that fishing in the rain is the best with a spinnerbait tied onto your line. On opener Rick and I caught crap loads of bass with lot`s of 2`s and even 2 nice 3`s. I got to fish in the rain again when I was out at my uncles this summer twice. Although I didn`t cover as much water I still caught bass on spinnerbaits.

Give it a shot,

Mike

I had a friend and his father down here yesterday and it rained almost all day but we were ready for it we caught two nice eye's just shy of 22" each and two small skies around 30" mark one more rip but that was it best thing is there is a lot less traffic when the weather is off. The fair weather guys are at home and the party people are on the dock gotta love fishing in the rain.

Had some excellent steelheading in the first couple of hours of rain if fairly light after a dry spell. Get to the lower few pools on a system gets real good as the flow starts to colour and rise a bit. Usually a tailout fisherman but the head of the pools is often better in this situation.