Shimano Sedona always tangles Power Pro

Fish4Eyes

I have a Sedona that is about 2 years old, and ever since I have owned it, it has always tangled the 10lb Power Pro that I have spooled on it. Even after cutting the line where it is all tangled up and re-tying my lure the problem persists after a bunch of casts. Any suggestions?

Get in a boat and drive slow. Let all of your line out behind the boat and keep driving for a few minutes to let the twists in the line un twist. then wind the line back on. Make sure you have nothing tied to your line when you do this. EG no lures on the line just bare line.

If you do alot of short casts make sure you fire a long cast every so often as lots of hort casts will put extra twists in your line. Also try and flip the bail over by hand instead of winding the bail closed. This will also prevent line twist.

Of course you could just buy a WAVE SPIN!!!!

I have a Sedona that is about 2 years old, and ever since I have owned it, it has always tangled the 10lb Power Pro that I have spooled on it. Even after cutting the line where it is all tangled up and re-tying my lure the problem persists after a bunch of casts. Any suggestions?

i use exactly the same line and had exactly the same problem. 10lb powerpro is like sewing thread.but strongerwink.gif the only way i could make it work on my baitcaster is to almost max the tension to prevent kickback. after a few times using it, the line tightened up on the spool and now it seems to work fine with less tension.

Edited by mercman

do you fish a lot of spinners, spoons, etc, lures that put twist in your line? do you reel against the drag when fighting a fish?

take jedi's advice to remove twist from your line....braided lines are very limp, get in the habit of manually closing the bail(better for the reel as well) and setting your line properly into the bail roller....sounds like a pain but becomes second nature and takes a fraction of a second after every cast once it's instilled in your brain

also, make sure the braid is spooled properly from the get go too...sounding like maybe you've spooled it a little on the loose side

Who the hell gets birds nests on a spinning reel?

I'm going to have to try some of these tips... wouldn't you want a weight on the line if your trying to get it to spool tighter?

Edited by TC1OZ

Who the hell gets birds nests on a spinning reel?I'm going to have to try some of these tips... wouldn't you want a weight on the line if your trying to get it to spool tighter?

you don't want a weight at the end of your line because then you have a fixed point that will prevent your line from losing its twist...or depending on the lure will add more twist....you want to troll with just your line and as it passes through the water the friction will pull the twist out of your line

Jedi: I will have to try that.

bare foot wader: it is used for jigging and trolling wally divers.

What boggles my mind is that it does this with even brand new line on (that I put on real tight). My last outing, my gf used it and within 15 min she was having problems on new spooled line. I cut a bunch of line off, as I figured it is just user error, but sure enough after a few casts there is another birds nest.

everybody of course has their preferences and opinions but i'm a firm power pro guy, never had problems with it....if you are i'd suggest making sure the line is sitting properly on the bail roller after every cast.....how old is the reel, maybe it needs some maintenance? not making proper wraps on the spool?

braid doesn't always sit perfect on the spool of a reel straight out of the box...most reels come with a few spacers...if you're line is spooled top ended, inverted cone, then try sliding on 2 spacers and a long troll and respool and see if the line sits better...

I had the same problem with the red power pro...but for whatever reason, my wife and son's reels, both Abu Cardinals, wouldn't do it as much. REally don't know if the red stuff had anything to do with it, but I've switched back to green and so far, so good.

I think the biggest factor is that the stuff has to be snug when it goes on the reel, ie. keep good tension on the line.

Trolling the line out with no weight is THE best way to get rid of twists though :D

I find if your tubing and using short casts this happens or maybe your spooling your new line on incorrectly. Stand your spool of line on its edge and start reeling, it will fall over onto the correct side that the line should come off of. If your using the old pencil through the center of the spool to load you spinning reel thats wrong. Thats for loading a baitcaster only. And make sure to have the line under some tension when spooling it on. The line off the boat while trolling with no lure on it works the best for twisted line. Good luck.

shoulda boughta daiwa ;)

jigs can twist the line, not a bad idea to use a tiny swivel + leader + jig.

you'll be surprised at the amount of tension line with nothing on it will put on the rod if you do the 'troll the empty line' trick to get rid of twist.

Edited by Raf

i have 3 sedonas and 4 stradics, i dont run braids on my spinning reels anynmore but this isue only came up when too much line was on the spool. i never have this problem with 7 reels getting regularly fished. seems like the answer is out there. good luck

shoulda boughta daiwa

I think that used to be true as far as spinning reels.

but not anymore IMO.

the new models of shimano spinners have blow right past them IMO. the new models (the 2008 and up ones) with the new spool design and line lay system (and the one peice bail - yes, that daiwa came out with first LOL) are fantastic for line issues.

last week I was up north and fished my Sustain 3000 FE with 8 pound mono and fished the entire week without a single tangle, snarl, wind knot etc. and the spool was full.

this has never happened to me before. usually at some point inevitably I get at least some problem somewhere.

needless to say, I was very impressed.

and the newer model shimano spinners cast incredibly far too. noticably farther than previous models.

its nuthin to do with the reel. light braid on any spinning reel can have this problem. when ur using a reel designed for 6-10lb line and u put 10b braid, that has like 2 lb diameter, its gonna happen. i have had the same issue with a quantum reel. make sure the reel is not over spooled, and keep ur eyes on the spool while ur casting and fishing. using a light lure and tryin to fire a cast out, especially if theres some wind, will cause this problem. braid doesnt suffer the same fate as mono or flouro when it comes to line twist. u have to severely twist that line to hell to cause problems with it.

i'd suggest making sure the line is sitting properly on the bail roller after every cast.

Yes! This has to be the problem. Its a habit I have forced upon myself because of experiencing the exact same problem. Spin fishing with light braid (10 pound and under) is dangerous if you don't pull the line tight on the bail roller after every cast. Why? Because its super limp and has slack in it until you put tension on it. Most people will cast and start reeling and this is what causes "wind knots" and birdsnests on spinning reels.

^

thats part of the reason why I believe the newer shimano's eliminate line issues so well.

the one peice bail wire with the cone shaped part adjacent to the line roller means that the line slides immediately over to and on the line roller without getting caught on anything. the older ones often would get the line caught between the wire and the line roller itself.

the older stradics/sustains had the cone shaped part but it was not one peice so the line can still get caught. the new bail design is great.

but then, Daiwa came out with it first and shimano just copied it and improved upon it LOL

its nuthin to do with the reel. light braid on any spinning reel can have this problem. when ur using a reel designed for 6-10lb line and u put 10b braid, that has like 2 lb diameter, its gonna happen. i have had the same issue with a quantum reel. make sure the reel is not over spooled, and keep ur eyes on the spool while ur casting and fishing. using a light lure and tryin to fire a cast out, especially if theres some wind, will cause this problem. braid doesnt suffer the same fate as mono or flouro when it comes to line twist. u have to severely twist that line to hell to cause problems with it.

It could be the reel.I have been fishing 10lbs braid for 10 yrs now with these reels Okuma,Abu Garcia,Quantum and Shimano and only had a problem with line twist when I switch to braid.

With braid you have to be carefull when casting in the wind,closing the bail by hand also helps.