30 lb Power Pro

NAW

Hi Gang,

With the overwhelming reviews on here for Power Pro braid, I thought I’d better try some out.

I’ve used Spiderwire, and Fireline in the past. The Spiderwire is a pain in the :asshat: , but no complaints about the Fireline.

I grabbed a spool of Power Pro 30 lb test, and plan on testing it out this weekend pike fishing on G-Bay.

I found that I had to sharpen my knife before I could even cut through the stuff! It’s really tough stuff!!

This made me wonder. Do I need to use a leader when pike fishing with this stuff??

What do you think?

P.S. I realize I should be using a heavy flouro leader, but I don’t have time to run down to Bass Pro before I leave to pick some up. So it’s steal or nothing..

Ditto on leaders. Thirty pound PowerPro is okay, but not as heavy as I use on casting rods. You could probably use 20 pound mono or fluoro as a leader if you want to avoid steel. Trilene Big Game is available at CTC.

For the last few years I've used 50 Pound Braid on my Pike baitcasting setup, with a 45 Pound fluorocarbon leader.

I've never had any breakoffs or lost fish.

Once a Pike frays your leader, you must replace it though..

I wouldn't go Braid directly to lure, because the Fluorocarbon leader is less visable than powerpro braid.

Ya, I was thinkin 20lb is little on the light side. I hate loosing lures! Looks like it'l be steel for this weekend.. I always feel so "visible" when i'm using steel leaders. It has to stand out to a fish down there?

Only excitement on our French River trip, hit while trolling two shakes and then a dead log. Tried to move him but two no avail. Line let's go 60lb Seguar flouro leader material. Could see the teeth marks on the flourocarbon. Yes, need a leader, BIGGGG leaders LOL.

Always use a leader.

You don't need to go muskie heavy with your gear.

The last Kesagami trip I used my home-made 45lb black-nylon coated steel 11-inch steel leader. Notice I said used... that's cause one leader withstood all fish caught casting, all week except my biggest fish caught which I had used beefier gear for trolling. 30lb PowerPro on a med-heavy spinning and 3000 series reel was the casting gear. Keep drag tight but be sure everytime you set a hook it zings easy.

My wife had the day off today, so she went down to T.O. with a friend. I got her to pick up some 50lb flouro leader from BPS.

Thanks very much for all the input!

What knot to us use to tie a 50lb flourocabon leader to a swivel???? I'm giong to use a double Uni for going from braid to flouro. I usually use a palomar (edit on spelling thanks spiel!) to tie onto the swivel.. Will a palomar work for 50lb flouro???

Edited by F-is-H

Another reason for leaders is to protect the fish when they roll themselves up in 'em. I use 80lb fluoro for muskie because of the diamater. If you're going to use steel leaders, have an eye out for the nylon coated ones. The coating also helps prevent them kinking.

There is no good reason not to use a leader for pike. As mentioned before, they're not line-shy.

To join the Fluorocarbon to the Powerpro I would suggest using an Albright knot with ten turns. Wrap the Powerpro around the Fluoro. With such heavy line it will make a much smoother knot.

Knotting 50 pound fluoro or mono neatly is not easy. To join the 50 pound fluoro to a snap swivel, or to a lure etc. I would use a Homer Rhodes knot. To help tighten the knot, touch it with Chap-Stick before drawing it down tight.

By-the-way, I wasn't suggesting that 20 pound Trilene was my choice for a Pike leader, just that in an emergency it was available at CTC and more bite-off resistant that your raw 30 pound Powerpro.

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs