Proper method of disposing of fish waste

Black_Blade

Was curious what others do with their fish wastes when out camping for a few days. With the increase in bear population, cleaning of the fish should be done as far away from the campsite as possible, but what do you all do with the carcass? Bury, toss into the lake (away from shore)...

Have left carcasses in the water before and seen gulls a few minutes later down the shoreline a ways having a feast.

:tease: Just eat em whole :tease:

We use the guts to bait for bears so we can watch them mow down from across the lake. haha jk....

Gut them in the middle of the lake and leave em there. If you do it at another campsite someone else could be using that camp site the next night.

Well away from your campsite (or anyone elses) toss the remains on a flat rock or open area at the waters edge, this will allow the gulls to see them quick and dispose of them.

If you fish and camp, you, your boat, your site will always have some attractive odours, keep food securly stored and away from the tent and chances are you will have no trouble.

Edited by Jay Hamilton

Isn't it illegal to just dump the remains in the lake?

No it isn't. It is the best ecological approach. It feeds the crayfish and bait fish. You keep those nutrients in the food chain. That is where the guts would have ended up had the fish died of natural causes. It is best to dump in about 10 ft of water where the bottom has a high oxygen level.

No it isn't. It is the best ecological approach. It feeds the crayfish and bait fish. You keep those nutrients in the food chain. That is where the guts would have ended up had the fish died of natural causes. It is best to dump in about 10 ft of water where the bottom has a high oxygen level.

Nail on the head.

-Ben

Lol so you turn it into sushi when you are camping solopaddler? What's so different from cooking then what bowslayer suggested? Hah

The difference is the gulls/ravens and turkey vultures will clean them up in no time, instead of burning them and sending the yummy flavours 100's of feet into the air and into the noses of hungry bears, lol.

I get the point entirely I'm just asking what is the difference when you cook the fish? Such as the whole carcass stuffed with spices and what not that is left on the fire for a good while if you are slow cooking it?

I have been throwing the waste from fish in the fire for 25 years I have been going north. My dad is the one who told me. I have never had an bear come into camp whether it be in a park or back country camping. I really don't see a difference of cooking food or incinerating the scraps from fillets in a campfire,are you not to cook or store food at the site(which i think may be more pleasing to a bears nose than say some scraps burning in a bonfire) I think leaving the waste in the lake is the best option but sometimes we come in late off the water fillet the fish on cardboard and newspaper,then when done throw the waste fish and paper in the fire,although i have been known to throw one or two to a eager watching raccoon from time to time.