braid issues

jedimaster

Just wondering what everyone is using for braid and how they find it? I think I got a bad spool of power pro, becuase it kept breaking in random spots up the line. I think its time i move off power pro. I broke off setting the hoo 4 times yesterday,no musky or pike in the water. Was pre fishing for Bass. Funny thing is on that rod I was using, I broke off 4 times, but I managed to land a 5.2 pounder that fought like a horse. It was a very odd day. I stripped the the line off my reel and tossed it out. So the question is, what would you guys use for a skipping rod setup for line? For this rod I go straight braid no leader so I would like to keep it in the 30 pound range. I find skipping with a leader throw it off a bit. I am using a St.Croix Premier, 6' mh rod with a shimano symetre 2500....

I was thinking suffix but I keep hearing how loud it is, and I am a a bit turned off by that.

spiderwire, never had problems with it breaking off like that. i use it in tests from 10-65lb andnever had issues with any. i had that problem with power pro before, too many breaks and just seemed weaker overall then other brands.

I have used tons of spools of power pro and have never gotten a bad spool. If this is the first bad spool you have had in many spools I would consider giving them another shot. If it is the first and only spool you have used of Power Pro I would vouch for them in saying that another bad spool is not likely.

I am interested to hear if anyone else has found this.

Guest gbfisher

Did you check your guides to see if they were compromised and fraying your line? If your guides are the problem the brand of line won't matter?

Id agree.

I have also changed over to Spider Wire Stealth with some advice from a friend who fishes Musky a lot..lol and havent had any problems since. Something about shock value with PP that you dont have with Stealth. Pull it slowly and you can pull a boat but whip it or shock the line and it snaps. Some plastics have the same properties. Bend it slow and it bends no problem...Bend it quickly and it snaps. Same idea...and so far it holds true from what I have seen.

Take yer pick ,,everyone has their own fav.... :dunno:

I have used tons of spools of power pro and have never gotten a bad spool. If this is the first bad spool you have had in many spools I would consider giving them another shot. If it is the first and only spool you have used of Power Pro I would vouch for them in saying that another bad spool is not likely.

I am interested to hear if anyone else has found this.

I had same issues with power pro last year. I was running 18lb power pro on one of my set ups and after few months of use it just started snapping randomly on hook sets. It never snapped on a knot. That was the last time i used it. Thought about sending them an email telling them how crappy their line was but never did. Now i am back to Mono and very happy with it.

I have used dozens of power pro, I used to use spiderwire stealth as well, but I switch to power pro last year, I have power pro on 12 rods for bass and 3 for musky, but I have had some issues with 3 spools in the last 2 years. The guides are the first thing I checked they are all fine. It seems like one out of every 7 or 8 spools of power pro I get are junky. I don't think i'll switch them all over, but i want to try something different this time. maybe I'll go back to spiderwire, I like to looks of the camo braid. looks like the visibility would be good and still let you tie on to the green part so you don't need to run a leader. I normally run 20 pound pline floro on my worm rods with yellow hi vis power pro.

Did you check your guides to see if they were compromised and fraying your line? If your guides are the problem the brand of line won't matter?

That would be the first thing I check, I also see that you've done a visual inspection.

So my question is did you try running a Q'Tip around the ring of each guide?

Sometimes a hairline crack can be tough to see but the cotton a swab will snag on it giving you a visual indicator.

As for my experience with Power Pro, no issues.

Been using pp for years...

From 100lb on trolling for muskies to 80lb casting skis, 50lb and 30lb on slop rods for bass ,25lb on laker rods to 15-20lb on spinning and 10-12lb on the kids rods and never had a problem. Even after turning it over on the reel it still preforms royally.

I have in the past checked guides and had broken ones barely noticable and proptly had them fixed...usually go trough 1/2 dozen guides a year.

That siad I heard there was some blackmarket pp floating around. Has anyone else heard of this?

A while ago, I posted about the very same experience with PowerPro, Jedi. The line just breaks on the hookset at random spots.

Checked my spool, rod guides with a q-tip, etc., and everything checked out ok.

I think it's what gbfisher says;

"Something about shock value with PP that you dont have with Stealth. Pull it slowly and you can pull a boat but whip it or shock the line and it snaps."

I'm casting repeatedly with large weights over long distances on the Niagara for trout, when my line snaps. Now, I know the carp guys use a 'shock leader' when casting long distances with huge weights to prevent that very same problem.

Seemed weird, I took the power pro that I had onoff and I pulled out rando 4 foot long pieces and I was able to break the line held between my hands in random areas. just breaks like its not held together. Other pieces were as strong as I have known power pro to be. I think I am gonna give suffix, camo braid, or the tracer line a try. I like to fish visually, and having an alternating high vis low vis braid will let me use high vis under docks without using a leader.

Like I said some sections seemed fine others were as strong as 4 pound mono.

I brought this 5.2(on digital scale) in and set the hook on her real good with no issues

aug15.2.JPG

but two casts later brok off halfway to the boat with a 1.5 pounder. then broke off a few times later. was weird.

A while ago, I posted about the very same experience with PowerPro, Jedi. The line just breaks on the hookset at random spots.

Checked my spool, rod guides with a q-tip, etc., and everything checked out ok.

I think it's what gbfisher says;

"Something about shock value with PP that you dont have with Stealth. Pull it slowly and you can pull a boat but whip it or shock the line and it snaps."

I'm casting repeatedly with large weights over long distances on the Niagara for trout, when my line snaps. Now, I know the carp guys use a 'shock leader' when casting long distances with huge weights to prevent that very same problem.

Edited by jedimaster