Have you ever tried to learn a new fishing tactic?

splashhopper

This year(since last fall actually)has been a bit of a bust for me and fishing. I don't have the energy to go out every night and work the two different bodies of water that I like fishing for bass.

I love top water fishing (bass) and bottom bouncing(trout).

Am also fairly good at float fishing with spinning gear. ( just don;t have the patience to learn my float reel that i bought two years ago :unsure: )

This year, I bought a little 12 ft tinnie and am looking forward to fishing a river that is loaded with pike and bass in it. Ton's of trees and black mud bottom is the rule on this body of water. :D

My plan is to use the top water frogs(with or without leader depending on target of bass or pike) and target the water under the tree banks and heavy grass stretches.

BTW I get bored tossing spinners and crank baits. ;)

I use a spinning reel with a med-heavy two piece rod and 30lb power pro braided line for most of my bass fishing.

I also have an identical reel and rod combo that is set up with 10lb mono and will tie on a leader for the pike if I chase them.

I am thinking about taking a couple of weekends and just bringing jigs and plastic trailers to get some confidence in using them.

I know I am missing lots of fish by not using them and as the water warms up, I want to fish the deeper waters in the locales that I target.

So, my question to you all:

1)Have you ever tried to learn a new fishing tactic?

2) Why, what, and how did you succeed ?

Thanks again, a frustrated splashopper B)

always trying to learn something new! with bass fishing, im always reading up on new techniques and trying to master then as best i can. couple years ago i started dropshotting and have become very good at it, used that technique to win a few tournaments so far.

also learned to drift for trout on the lower niagara with a buddy last winter. gonna try float fishing next spring.

1.) Why? because I had enough interest in the sport to put in the time. It is nice to have an interest and be fairly capable at it?

2.) What? started fishing using a cane pole at like 4? the next step was bait casters, old school, all we had to use, spinning reels and the list could go on and on.

3.) How? LOL, I guess it helps to have a fishing and water addiction? I did have some better than average people to fish with, they had an interest in fishing, and learning, they just passed it on.

Don`t take this the wrong way, top water fishing is fun, and it can put fish in the boat, but it`s not always the best way to go. Jigs, soft plastics, like worms,tube, grubs, lizards, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and just about every method of fishing them has it`s time and place.

Being a well rounded angler can help prevent off days, no day fishing is ever bad.

Just about every time I fish with someone new I see a technique that I wanna try.

I can't say I've mastered any but I'm learning about using wacky worms in cover, toads in slop, dropshotting, and now I've just finished watching two guys (Garry & Ryan) pitch and flip so of course I wanna do that too.

With any of them I found the learning curve shortened by trying it with someone who has already mastered the technique. That way I get on the spot coaching plus I get to watch them doing it and can try to copy what they do. Spending time with Garry on his boat has helped a lot in learning the techniques, when to use them, and how to adapt to different conditions. I don't remember anyone ever saying that it was cool to use weedless hooks for flipping wacky worms into fallen trees or holes in weed beds until Garry showed me how to do it. I was kind of apologetic when I started tying on a big ole weedless hook in front of Ryan but he said something like "What's wrong with that? I know pros who do it." I knew it caught fish but now I don't have to apologize any more. :thumbsup_anim:

It's funny how you can watch all the videos in the world but you'll learn so much more watching someone do it properly on the water when you have a rod in hand to try it yerself.

As for plastic I've gotten to the point where I seldom think of using anything but. When I'm wading I set up a few weighted hooks w/tubes and carry a selection of wacky worms.

If I'm boating for bass I have three small trays with assortments of tubes, toads & worms. In their respective boxes I stock the appropriate hooks and weights for different conditions.

I haven't figgered out a tidy way of keeping my drop shot stuff. It seems obvious that another box would be the solution but the bag I like to carry just won't accommodate 4 boxes. I don't want to go any bigger cuz boaters hate when us visitors clutter their walking spaces with our junk.

Of course now that I wanna get flippin' & pitchin' under some semblance of control that's a whole nuther set of hooks and trailers to deal with. I can probably combine the dropshot gear & the flippin' jigs in one box.

That leaves finding a tidy way of handling the specialty type products that need to be in their own juice or at least out of the air. I'm thinking the bagged leeches & craws.

JF

I always try new techniques. the best one for me was trying the wacky rig senko style bait. I heard about it on this board and through fishing shows etc.... It was always a very weird way to fish in my mind.

One day while drinking beer at a cottage and we were to drunk to get in a boat we sat on muskoka chairs with a cooler of beer I tried to wacky rig a yum dinger. The first cast I caught a fish and I never looked back! It is now my number one way to catch bass especially when the bite it slow!!!

I was going to try drop shotting this summer but since i have yet to be out on the water cause of work, I think when I do get out in a couple weeks it will be all what I know since i dont have to much time on the water this year.

Always try different things though! It is the only way to get better and to catch more fish!

Cheers!

BTW I get bored tossing spinners and crank baits. ;)

I use a spinning reel with a med-heavy two piece rod and 30lb power pro braided line for most of my bass fishing.

I also have an identical reel and rod combo that is set up with 10lb mono and will tie on a leader for the pike if I chase them.

I am thinking about taking a couple of weekends and just bringing jigs and plastic trailers to get some confidence in using them.

Thanks again, a frustrated splashopper B)

Hey Splashopper . . .great post.

We fish pretty similar setups for bass. I fish the 7" Medium St. Croix rod with a Stradic Reel and 15lb Power Pro with a 12lb fluoro leader. I keep my other reel spooled with 8lb mono (generally speaking).

I definitely get bored tossing crankbaits & spinners (it's kind of a shame, as I have a lot of great Rapalas, but I generally decide to shelve them in favour of more finesse stuff in this heat). Also, when it comes to fishing in single-barbless areas, I often decide not to Doctor my Rapalas and just fish something else.

Re: bringing jigs. You definitely should give this a shot. Years ago, when I first came back to fishing again, I wouldn't use jigs as I didn't think the rivers I was fishing were deep enough, or I was scared of a snag killing 20 minutes etc. Now jigging has become one of the main ways I like to fish.

There are COUNTLESS ways to jig nowadays. In our father's time there were just jigheads and grub tails. Nowadays you have all the finesse soft plastics - yum, gulp, gulp alive, mister twister, unscented, double grub tails, single grubs, classic patterns, crayfish varients, frog trailers, powerbait, and things that look like nothing at all. If you want to send me a PM, I'll tell you a few of my favourite jigging setup baits that are sure-fire. I refrain from posting them here for the obvious reasons.

Your Questions:

Well, for those of us that don't just cast out and reel straight in or put a worm on under a bobber, we've all tried new things. Some things I've tried working on recently (this season):

- Fly-Fishing - started this year with my first rod. Casting is improving daily and I've managed to land a bass and some sunfish. There's still a long way to go, but I'm hoping that by next Trout opener that I'll be leaving my ultra-lite at home and confident in my fly abilities.

- Carping - I had kind of a big-fish hangover after returning from my Georgian Bay trip and decided to learn how to Carp (after reading a few helpful posts on here). I have yet to catch one (I've only been out twice) but I found a sure-fire carp water last night and I'm hoping to break the cherry this week. I might quit after catching one, but I might decide I like it too.

- Drop-Shotting - I just started drop-shotting this year and have had some success. With all the heat we've had this year, getting to the bottom of water bodies is even more important than it has been in years past. My rigs aren't 100% but they are improving.

- Knots - I always try to learn a new fishing knot every few weeks or so, then I practice it while watching TV or sitting around.

Eventually the techniques just become second nature (jigging, senkos etc) and you don't consider them as something that needs to be learned, you consider them a part of your arsenal. It's all about growing and the more you grow the better you feel about your ability to catch fish.

Ryan

I try different techniques every year. If you fish the same spotys with the same tactic, year after year, the bite will slow down. Sometimes you have to give them something new.

This year it was Senkos. Result was pretty good.

Hey Splashhopper,

Great question. To sum it up for myself...

I only started fishing a year ago, so really, everything is new.

I think the classic mepps and spinnerbaits were my first lures/techniques but I ended up fishless. After trip number one I innundated myself with online literature. Morning top-water fishing was I suppose the first thing I forced onto my myself with a trusty Pop-R. Relating and remembering what I read to what I did was essential. I think it look at least 5 hrs of popping practice get a slow rhythm that seemed to produce occassional bites.

After I started boating some fish I went on a gear shopping frenzy. From none to 3 rod/reel setups, 3 lures to 6 boxes of lures etc.... Now, I'm trying to slowly get comfortable with it all doing probably exactly what you're doing. WFN, surfing message boards, getting magazines etc etc... every day adding a new tid-bit or thought to the noggin' and eventually when I feel the water conditions are just right I'll pick it up and go blind.

Now, if history repeats itself, I'll try it for an hour one day and end up with nothing. The next time I'll try again with nothing. By the end third time I try and fail and think to myself "this just isn't for me". Finally on a 4th or 5th attempt the conditions will be just right and I'll land something. After that it's a part of the arsenal, and it'll just click after a few more fish are boated.

After just one year I feel comfortable fishing a variety of top water (Pop-R, Frog, Buzz, Walk-the-Dog), shallow-water (jerk, wake, Senko) and some deeper stuff (cranks, drop-shot). To me, that's one year, lots of practice, and a handful of techniques to try every time out. The more I've learned the more I want to learn, while honing what I already know.

Like you, however, I have all I need to start jigging, I just don't know when and where to start..... although in my situation a depth finder is probably numero uno.

I forgot to mention my mild affair with carping.. when all else fails, i grab a can of Delmonte corn and put 4-5 pieces on a bait hook with a couple of splits shots about a foot above.

Hasn't failed me yet and the action can be amazing when I hook in to a big one.

10-20lbs is common around here, can't wait to get in to a 30 lb +

I forgot to mention my mild affair with carping.. when all else fails, i grab a can of Delmonte corn and put 4-5 pieces on a bait hook with a couple of splits shots about a foot above.

Hasn't failed me yet and the action can be amazing when I hook in to a big one.

10-20lbs is common around here, can't wait to get in to a 30 lb +

Delmonte eh? It must be that cheap no name stuff that has stopped me from hooking up yet! :wallbash:

Jokes aside, I'm still looking for productive carp water and I think I've found a few!

I try different things all the time,especally trout fishing in tribs.

Last year on a trib there were about ten people fishing, oneguy had a 6 inch husky jerk with a baitcaster, he'd let the lure swim into trees, and had fish while people throwing roe and flies were doing a lot worse.

Personally, I started using swimbaits for bass this year ( I'm a rookie ) and I love it! Watching that lure move just under the surface is awesome, I am always excited watching it move like an injured fish and making it look flawless, then WHAM!!!! haha

X-raps. I had 2 or 3 of'em and only a fish or two to show for $30 worth of lures. Started fishin with a bud that swears by'em. After a few trips I started gettin the hang of them. I always figured they should be fished like a husky jerk. Jerk pause jerk jerk pause. But nope. They really shine when jerked had. Really hard. Long pauses followed by agressive jerks. Then "tick" hookset, fish on! I've got a few dozen x-raps now. And they have become one of my go to baits for smallies and eyes.

If you want to get good at jigging, start simple. Go for river smallies on 3" natural coloured jigs. Avoid areas that require long casts. Try to angle your cast slightly downstream. Let the current do most of the work but keep giving the jig a pop to keep it up out of the moss and rocks. Bottom contact is important but not crucial. Keeping the tail moving is. And don't hesitate on hooksets. Bass don't nibble on a grub. They inhale them...

Persistance is key. Pretty much any lure will catch fish. But some need to be worked a certain way to get the best results.

One that is on the books for me to learn is rip jigging. Fished a tourney in MN and it was amazing how this tactic with very specific gear was the only way to fill a limit. We rigged, cranked and pulled blades and finished middle of the pack...which was still awesome as the competition was the likes of Linder, Roach et al.

For me when playing with a new tactic its all about getting those 1st couple of fish and developing the confidence. Flipping slop has taken a long time to get confidence in and work out some measure of proficency but it is starting to pay off. I often have to leave my "go to" baits at home and force myself to fish a new tactic.

What : Flippin & Skippin jigs

Why : because some of the biggest ugliest bass are hiding in the thick stuff and under cover and its one of the best ways to get them!

that was what I started to learn early last year.. and its my go-to technique now.

Edited by fish-meister