JP Derose boat accident

tightline

Hopefully 8 lbs... :whistling::D

Ouch...

lol, good one Phill, I'm gonna be down on the ground clutching my groin area for a bit after that low blow... Nicely done. I did manage more than my usual 8 lbs for this event. :)

As for the event, I was in a bit of shock when I heard about it as I doubt many people have had as good of a view as I have in terms of what a boat driver JP really is. We have been in some hairy situations yet I've never doubted and would fish again with him tomorrow. I'm happy he and Greg were okay. They came over during the event and if he hadn't mentioned it, you hardly would've known anything had happened. The heat had already dried them off and they were both just fishing hard and joking around like usual. Very grateful that someone as quick thinking and experienced as Doug was there as well as Blake from OFC who I heard used his boat to make sure nobody ran thru the area occupied by the "swimmers". Just goes to show the kind of guys they are that they instantly put JP and Greg's welfare first. Doug rescued a few fellows that had pretty much the exact same thing happen last year where there was boat damage and some injuries. As I recall Doug won that tournament, good karma I guess.

Just thought I might add for those that run big tillers like me that wearing your kill tether attatched to your life vest does little good when you fall backwards towards the motor. I learned the hard way with what could have been fatal for me, I now strap the kill tether to my left wrist so that if my hand comes off the throttle the motor will (hopefully) cut out.

Good point Spiel.

For the last few years I have grown accustomed to not wearing a life jacket on the boat, this summer I've made it my personal goal to get in the habit of having the jacket and tether on whenever the boat is on plane.

The tether is on my wrist at all time besides trolling, as my uncles friend almost went overboard on his tiller this year when he fell off his seat and the tiller bucked sideways on him as he was coming up on plane...no tether attached.

The sled guys have got this tether thing down pat, why boaters don't is beyond me!

well I am not one of the guys that hate bass boat people,, I hate that I sold mine

some people do have a very narrow view of what fishing means and look down on and complain about all other type of fishing and bass tourneys falls outside their narrow view....I think there is a place for all types of fishing

and it was real standup of you to come on and post.......

Thank god you had a gas pedal J.P. The same thing happened on White lake about 5 years ago to a couple of brothers during a bass tourney. They didn't have a gas pedal and were ejected only to have the boat do circles around them at w.o.t. Both were killed from the boat running over them when they were trying to swim away. A gas pedal is the most important safety feature in any high performance boat and every bassboat should have one. This also happened to a buddy a few years ago during a tourney, he is like 6'4 240 and said he felt like a bag of groceries flying out of the boat he was driving. He tore the shifter off his boat and was badly bruised from armpit to arse on the side that went over the shifter. Glad your both okay.

Just thought I might add for those that run big tillers like me that wearing your kill tether attatched to your life vest does little good when you fall backwards towards the motor. I learned the hard way with what could have been fatal for me, I now strap the kill tether to my left wrist so that if my hand comes off the throttle the motor will (hopefully) cut out.

That's great advice Spiel that I've never considered - thanks for sharing!

3. Anyone who can joke about being whipped across the water at over 60 mph should think about the correlation of jumping out a car while on the 400 hwy series and think how much fun that would be... thankfully Greg and I landed well so we can joke about this.

4. This did not shatter either of us, we were in good spirits all day, fished the event and had a great day... what I did take from the day was a new respect of stuff that we can't control and realize that there is more of it out there than I thought when on the water.

JP

Glad to hear you're both safe JP. I agree that this is no joking matter. The same people joking about this now are the ones who'd be offering their "condolences" if there was a worse outcome, which there very well could have been.

Point 4 - It's funny how the human psyche reacts to these situations - you laughed it off and fished - that sounds crazy, but it isn't.

I barrel-rolled down a hill off a highway with my buddy in a freak frost, tools were flying around in his truck, we flipped 5-6 times, nobody stopped to help us, and the truck took about 5K worth of damage. We were in good moods, laughing, and later we went and played some poker - elated. There were consistent jokes about "I don't want to see you with a lawyer and whiplash next week" etc. After the shock clears, you're really just thrilled to be completely uninjured and you're amazed at the luck of it all.

Thanks for clearing these things up, and thanks for whoever changed the title to this thread - it was a little classless before.

Ryan

Well if he is referring to the truck incident (which I don't think he is) the accident was reported, no charges were laid, and it took OPP 4 hours to respond (again, freak frost that caused many o' accident).

If you're referring to the boat accident then he doesn't have to report it to anybody as you've been told.

Regardless Polli, I don't see how police reports are your business in either case.

JP, good to hear you are OK!! That would scare the bejeezus outta me. I had a big cruiser blasting along putting out a 5-6ft wake a coupla weeks ago on the way to Giants Tomb to hit the beach with the kids, I turned into it quick and killed the throttle, it still made me have air under my butt and rattled the girls and for the first time, water came over the front of my boat (19ft Larson Fish 'N Ski). What happened to me was different but could have had a similar outcome. Needless to say, thankfully I always wear my inflatable PFD and have the kill cord attached when I'm out on the big water of GBay.

JP. Glad your good. Great to hear you got back on the hoarse.

Just don't become over cautious on that steering wheel now.

After one of my big hits.(seat torn from the floor.)I was being to tight with the wheel.

I started over steering going straight and letting the boat slide in corners.

It took a bit too relax behind the wheel again.But it happened.

You hold the steering wheel in a boat like you hold a beautiful woman.

Firmly.But not over controlling.

You hold the steering wheel in a boat like you hold a beautiful woman.

Firmly.But not over controlling.

Is that like cup the curves... but don't squeeze the throttle.

(don't worry Spiel.. I'll be gone by morning! lol)

Edited by irishfield