Braided Line (Power Pro)

Photoz

A few years ago I got into the braided line craze (when it first appeared) and tried it out, the 10 pound knotted up very badly, so I went to the 20, same problem, even the 30 tangled, but not as bad. I then went to the 65 pound (for carp) because of the zebra mussels where I now fish, they cut even 20 pound mono with ease, but NOT the 65 pound Power Pro? It works fine, and I've hauled in some pretty big frisky carp with it. I also check my guides after and bale almost every fish, no problem . . . . YET? When this stuff first hit the market, I heard a quite a few people claim it would eventually cut into the guides . . . . I actually had this happen while using the 10 pound stuff, it cut a little trench into the bale on one of my Sustains . . . . which was replaced very quickly by Shimano. (warranty) But . . . . I know there are a lot of people who use braid, and I've not seen a complaint about this problem in quite some time. This 65 pound stuff is on a helluva good carp rod (12' Tribal) and I don't wish to wreck it. Has anyone who is a regular user of braid, landing big strong fighting fish had any problems with it cutting into your guides? Thank you for your time.

i've been running pline evolution in 30lb test on my carp rod for 5 years. line feels gross, but lasts forever...

would i buy it again, honestly i don't know... that's how gross it feels!!!

never had any issues using it up at long sault either, where everyone told me 50lb plus or you'll lose the line...

If you are running the old guides that are only generic metal then you can damage them with heavy fish and lots of time. The ceramic or titanium guides are fine and show no signs of damage after 50 lb plus catfish landed for 3 seasons so far.

Art

Its not the line that cuts the guides per say. Its the sand and grit that attaches itself to the line that does the damage. Wash your braid in clean fresh water every once in a while and even the braid wont cut the older guides. I use line conditioner on everything and never have this problem.

If you are running the old guides that are only generic metal then you can damage them with heavy fish and lots of time. The ceramic or titanium guides are fine and show no signs of damage after 50 lb plus catfish landed for 3 seasons so far.

Art

CERAMIC guides ? ? ? I haven't hear about or seen one in over 20 years. Are they still made and used on rods....some of the alloy aluminum oxide guide may look like ceramic but are not. The use of ceramic guides didn't last long because of their weight they added to a rod. Maybe now a cheap Walmart, etc...rod might have ceramic guides on it but like I have said I haven't seen one in MANY years.

CERAMIC guides ? ? ? I haven't hear about or seen one in over 20 years. Are they still made and used on rods....some of the alloy aluminum oxide guide may look like ceramic but are not. The use of ceramic guides didn't last long because of their weight they added to a rod. Maybe now a cheap Walmart, etc...rod might have ceramic guides on it but like I have said I haven't seen one in MANY years.

Think you got ceramic confused with carbide, popular in the 60's for tip tops but too heavy for a whole rod, especially a spinner with the larger diameters. They were a dark grey carbide ring welded to a stainless or chrome metal frame, things were brutal in weight as I replaced a 8 foot saltwater spinner that I used for channel cats with them in the early 70's, rod went from stiff to a noodle with the extra weight.

I use ceramic guides on all the rods I build.

In fact most every rod out there has ceramic guides.

Here's a description of some of Fuji's popular ceramic guides.

http://www.mudhole.c...ur-Catalog/Fuji

Oh and Steve I read on the Shimano site that your "Tribal" rod is built with Fuji Titanium SiC guides,

you should have no worries. thumbsup_anim.gif

Ceramic is the base material for most of the guides different additives are incorporated to make different versions/grades of guides. I learned this after Chris made me learn what the heck I was ordering on my last few rods he built me. :D Thanks for stuffing more information in my head Spiel.

Art