Walleye Poll ?

GbayGiant

Eat or not to Eat ?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do ?

• Keep walleye limit if I can get it.
    • Let them all go
    • I'm Only interested in trophies, for a picture or mount.
    • I keep 3 or 4 a year, hardly ever.
    • Only keep walleye when a family member or friend asks me.
    • I keep one walleye to eat personally.

Last year I think I kept 8, all in the 16-18 in range. If I was fishin Erie and was fortunate enough to catch a limit, I would keep them. It all depends on where I am fishin. If the body of water can sustain it, I say pass the lemon!

HH

I picked the limit as well, but the most I've ever caught on any outing was two. So the walleye are safe from me too! I would keep the ones between 2 lbs and 5lbs, but I can't imagine myself eating a biggun, they don't taste as good if you ask me, great for the picture that's about it.

Stan

Taking into consideration that our lake stocks on average 800,000 pickerel fry a year, during the 8-9 year program, I still only take a few back to the cottage kitchen in an entire cottage (open) season. When you pack steaks, you have to eat them! That's not many fish considering the fact that I fish up there almost every weekend throughout spring to fall.

Disco Phish

I keep enough to feed my family for 2 meals,. If I have some still in the freezer let the rest go. Guess it really depends on how many I would catch in a outing..

These are my target fish of choice but I only keep small ones and once I have some in the freezer for when I want a fish meal the rest go over the side..

great now you got me thinking about shore lunches..... BRING ON THE SPRING

Bly and I attempt to release all our walleye. We caught 18 that were 8+ pounds this past fall...with lots over 12 pounds and the biggest was bly's 15 pound one. We have that 15 poudner in the freezer...after she tried to release it for over half an hour. I would never eat one that big anyways!!

CCMT, I forgot to mention this poll is locked to anyone who hasn't caught a walleye under 8 lbs.. :w00t:

" Fish are my friends". I know it's silly, but I like to adhere to my motto. The only time I will keep something is if it's badly hooked or the person I'm with promises to make a good dinner of it. Not being a big seafood eater myself, it's easy to do. I'm starting to like walleye or perch fried up in "Rocky Madison" but would much, much rather see that same fish join the populations that seem so fragile these days. There's nothing I dislike more than seeing a big slaughter house of fish, even if it's within the regulation limits.

Limit for sure! :clapping: I can easily get a limit every day from April all the way to November. Lake St. Clair, the Detroit River, and Lake Erie are unbeleivable fisheries stacked with walleye, steelhead, perch, and bass. If you know how to target any specific species there is no reason one can't catch em all day long. But I am out of Walleye in the freezer. :dunno: Just waiting for the boat ramps to clear out. They still have snow and ice on em and everything else is wide open. :w00t:

In my area, the limit is 6 walleye. No slot limits.....which is a shame. If I can catch my limit, I will keep it. However, I do release the walleye that are over 20 inches long. If I have some walleye filets in my freezer, I tend to release most of what I catch and keep a small one for lunch when I'm camping. As for giving away fish, I don't do that very often unless it's for someone really special. Last year my sister in law was dying of cancer and I gave her some fresh walleye filets. I also give a few filets to my mother-in-law so she can eat fresh walleye (about 2 times during the season). As for the rest of the gang, they can just go fishing if they want walleye. It's hard to answer the poll due to the fact that my "keep rate" varies.

, smaller ones, nothing over 24 inches??????????

Please note that I live on the Bay of Quinte.Walleye over 24 inches are the norm in the winter :thumbsup_anim: .I will keep only one or two if they are the smallest I catch but if I catch some nice 18 inchers first they are supper and the larger ones swim again.Its a real bummer to try to keep them 30 inch walleyes of the hook :rolleyes::clapping::thumbsup_anim:

keep em if they are not over about 4 lbs ... still havent caught my limit of keepers in a day .... i like to eat pretty much any freshwater fish (carp, sucker, sheephead not included) ... tried catfish a few years back... cant wait to get some more .... come on open water