Anyone fish at night here?

wuchikubo

Night fishing?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you regularly fish at night?

• No, I don't fish at night.
    • Yes, I fish after dark on shore.
    • Yes, I fish after dark on a boat.
    • Yes, but only during ice fishing season.
  2. 2. If you fish at night, when would you normally finish?

• 11pm
    • Midnight
    • 1 am
    • 2am
    • 3am
    • 4am
    • 5am
    • 6am
    • I don't stop.

I was wondering if anyone here does night fishing on a regular basis?

If you do, do you fish on shore or on a boat?

How far would you drive to get to your night-time fishing spot?

Thanks,

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

You missed one, fishing into the night on ice until midnight or later. I don't do it often, but it can be quite a deadly tactic for walleye, especially in clear water lakes.

TJSA, there you go, just for you!

:thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: I love the personal attention. But, honestly, that is the only time I have fished into the wee hours of the night. Never needed to try it during soft water season.

I have fished at night from shore and a boat, also wading in waters I was familiar with. Not really a question of distance for me, a lake, pond close by gave me more time on the water.

On vacations I regularly fished the lakes I was staying at during the night. Mostly for bass, but there are a number of species that hit well at night. Some waters have a much better night bite than others.

I never had much in the way of success for pike at night, but a couple of hours before dark can be a hot time.

There is a 50+ year old flooded creek about 5 minutes from my house. It is about 100 feet wide where the road cut across it. The water in the middle where the small bridge crosses it is about 6-8 feet deep. Although this creek connects to a larger river system about a mile or two away, the current can flow in eaither direction because of the two dams tha control the water flow of the main river.

This is a popular minnow gathering spot and a kids fishing hole. Small bass and hammer handle pike are commonly caught here. I take my kids ther in the summer and we have a lot of fun.

But about half an hour before dark and on to the midnight hour the walleye fishing can be fantastic especially in September and October. Last September I landed 11 30+ inch walleye and averaged 6 fish per 2 hour outing. I averaged 6-8 fish per trip with many in the 20+ inch range. All were caught using a 1/4 oz jig and a grub. This one of those amazing spots that most people just drive past without a second thought. After 52 years of fishing here, the night bite is the only ay to go.

muddler

You honestly don't know what you are missing if you don't fish into the night sometimes. Walleye, crappie hit exceptionally well at night, and bass do not just go to sleep at night either!

If fishing from a boat, just make sure you know exactly which way you came from, and where the general hazards are.

As for ice fishing, only drive out if you know exactly where you need to go. You can always walk past where you parked, and only end up losing time...But if you were to drive past, you never know if you've driven yourself into a spot with current/thin ice etc.

I actually like doing all 3 types of fishing well into the night!

LOL Bill, try jig fishing, nice when you aren`t sure if a bat is hitting your line or a bass your lure! Luckily I never hooked a bat! might have to cut the line on one of them.

That's the fun part of fishing up north, dodging the bats at night!! lol

I used to fish night time more often by myself as it usually is more peaceful and the crappie and walleye bite was a bit better than during the day. I used to get together once in a while with some friends, however, since many of my fishing friends have acquired a boat, shore fishing at night with them has diminished to the point it only happens when I can't get the fishing urge out of the system and go on the spur of the moment.

2 years ago, I went to a few of my past night shore spots only to find the water level had dropped to the point it was a moist bog or overgrown with so much weed that crank baiting would be a chore.

If anyone here is looking for a fishing partner for saturday nights, please PM me. My limit in terms of distance is probably about 3 hr from Markham.

Stan