What A Day And "Surprise"

Fish Farmer

Glenn, Joe and myself went Perch fishing yesterday. Weatherman said the day was going to be bad, but we went anyway. Got to Erie at Lowbanks were we launched and not a soul to be seen. Bought minnows and headed out. I must say the Perch fishing was slow, maybe because of the storm moving in. It rained a few times but was fishable. We were catching a few nice size Perch, then all hell broke lose, when I was reeling in a small Perch, "BAM" My Spiel ultralight rod bent almost double. The line just screamed off the reel, 6 LB test with 4 LB backing. OH NO all I could think was start the motor and chase my line. I was down to were the backing was and I could see this being the end of my screamer which at this point we didn't know what was on the line, maybe a Carp, Channel Cat, Walleye or what ever. Never thinking it would be this. Pictures will tell all.

40510005.jpg

73286251.jpg

We chased this fish, seemed like a 1/2 hour. Soon as I got it to the boat it screamed away again. What a circus.

26188453.jpg

36875542.jpg

All we had was a small net, what are we going to do? Glenn did a great job netting for what he had.

35722019.jpg

17903490.jpg

82952058.jpg

82592907.jpg

Almost 40" Muskie, snapped a couple quick pictures. Never did find the Perch that he grabbed. The small #6 egg hook was just in the corner of his mouth. I was using a couple homemade snelled hooks and sinker below.

30133539.jpg

Back in to live another day

m10uk.jpg

m11l.jpg

She started to blow up and we ran out of minnows. Plus I think we had enough. What a great day. Thanks guys for making the day possible, Joe taking the series of pictures, holding each other up from falling over in the boat, and Glenn for being a great net man. I wish we had a recorder, as we each were coaching one another.

m12j.jpg

Edited by Fish Farmer

Really great stuff, Dave. Avery nice fish and kudos for the skill shown bringing that one in on that pound test...not to mention the small net. There's also something to be said for those Spiel rods eh? Thanks for sharing.

Darn right that was a big surprise! When there are perch, there are bigger fish around! Now you know what to use the next time you head out musky fishing! <kidding>. You have the seat that I have been looking for. I will PM you.

All I can say is awesome - this is going to cost you huge. yes you will hear should have cut line but this could be someone who is trolling at 30 feet or more who probably do as much damage

Anyway why this will cost you is simple. This happened to me a few years back - sons bobber and perch.....musky ate (I didnt catch like you) but I can not even fish for anything but musky now...i am addicted.

Good on you and good luck

John

Thanks everyone. As many days I fish, I still get excited as it was my first. It doesn't mater what I fish for Salmon, Trout, Perch, Crappie, Whitefish, Walleye, etc. Size doesn't mater. As long as I'm on the water fishing, plus fishing with good buddy's. I guess that's why my wife says I'm a fishaholic. The Spiel Ultra Light stood the test, now my buddy wants one.

Chris can you make me a Lew & Roy autograph series Muskie Rod :good::thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Fish Farmer

I love hearing about incidental catch's like that. Something unexpected and huge tearing off line to the backing..Now thats a fight worth telling your friends about. I've only had that happen a couple of times in my fishing career but I can remember those moments like it was yesterday...

Thanx for sharing FF

GREAT story!

Next time go fishing for rock bass....maybe you'll pick up a sturgeon!!!

Awesome job man! A muskie an an ultra light.. who would have figured?

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

I love hearing about incidental catch's like that. Something unexpected and huge tearing off line to the backing..Now thats a fight worth telling your friends about. I've only had that happen a couple of times in my fishing career but I can remember those moments like it was yesterday...

Thanx for sharing Fish Finder

Thanks Guys

Always seems when I'm fishing for other species I get a Muskie. I may have to start targeting them one day.

Thanks Chris can you make me a Lew & Roy autograph series Muskie Rod :good::thumbsup_anim:

Hey Dave, order me one of those rods too will ya, maybe Chris will give us a deal on them if we order in bulk :lol::lol: