Bear Attack..

NAW

"A man is in serious conditions after he was attacked by a large black bear yesterday evening.

OPP say the attack happened near Upper Big Chute Road, and Kinnear Sideroad in Severn Township around 6:30 PM.

The 48 year old man's injuries aren't life threatening, and he was airlifted from the scene to Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto.

OPP are now searching for the bear, with the help of the Ministry of Natural resources, who are setting up traps.

Police say people in the area should exercise extreme caution until the bear is located and trapped.

And anyone who sees the bear is asked to call 911"

So now, everyone who see's a Bear in Severn Township is going to call 911. Not Likely...

How to tell if it's "the" bear. I guess if it doesn't run away from you when you'r yelling at it. But by that time, it may be to late to call 911.

Be interesting to know what led up to the attack ??

Did the guy accidentely come on the bear on a trail or in the bush and surprise her, or was it an un-provoked attack or .....

It be good to know any further details if you have them.

There's a big conservation area there, and a quite a few homes.

Not a good spot to have a pissed off bear.

I saw a few bears there last year, but they where scared of me, that's for sure.

Edited by F-is-H

The Star said he was just planting a garden with his wife but who knows..maybe a female protecting her cubbies

The victim, a 48-year-old Tay Township man, “appeared to be planting a garden” with his wife when the bear approached, said Ontario Provincial Police Const. Gerry Dwyer.

Dwyer said the man received cuts to his right foot, calf and arm. He was taken by air ambulance to Sunnybrook hospital, where he was listed Wednesday in serious condition.

According to Dwyer, attacks like this one are rare. “We’ve had a few in the past, but nothing major,” he said. “It’s not a consistent thing.”

Dwyer said the Ministry of Natural Resources is searching the area and has set up a trap to catch the bear if it returns.

“We’re advising anybody in the area to keep pets indoors and to exercise extreme caution until the bear is caught,” he said. “Make sure the kids are kept in.”

MNR spokeswoman Jolanta Kowalski said she couldn’t speculate on what might have spurred the attack, but said hunger was likely “not a contributing factor.”

Edited by ColdH20guy

what is the conservation area you refer to FiSH? not a ton of homes out there..

My bad, it’s a provincial wildlife area, not a conservation area.

The attack happened near Kinnear sr. and Big Chute Rd. There are lots of scattered country homes/farms in that aream and a dew cottages as well.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's a densly populated area. Just that there are a quite a few homes in that area. There's a sub-division with about 30 homes in it about 2 block away from where the attack occured.

The victim, a 48-year-old Tay Township man, “appeared to be planting a garden” with his wife when the bear approached,

Just yesterday I planted a garden in the backyard for my wife, only 150' from the edge of the woods.

Perhaps I'd best not show her this post :lol:

now they are saying he was looking for hunting grounds.....oops

FisH- its no big deal but I live about 3 miles from there and was unaware of any wildlife area or subdivision..drove by there today after cruising MacLean Lake for a few hours...

oh well

MY RANT....

1st off I hope the guy recovers fully from his injuries.

I guess it's ok to kill this bear since it's in the north, seems that the London police were doing they're job by preventing a bear attack, where were the Coldwater police? That guy should have used all his "bearwise" knowledge they drill into your head up north. Why wasn't the poor bear trapped and brought to some happy place in the north rather than giving it the death sentence, was the nearest bear patrol officer 3 or 4 hrs away?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a nusiance bear is a nusiance bear no matter where it is, don't give us "southererns" a hard time about our problems when you have the same problems which you told us you were ready to deal with (in the London bear post) right in your own back yard.

This is not a north south thing, it's a bear thing, Bring back the spring bear hunt!

jjcanoe

This is not a north south thing, it's a bear thing, Bring back the spring bear hunt!

jjcanoe

First you have to convince "Southern" urban voters, and their political majority that banning the spring hunt was a mistake. That won't happen until there have been some maulings close to home.

First you have to convince "Southern" urban voters, and their political majority that banning the spring hunt was a mistake. That won't happen until there have been some maulings close to home.

What he said. People let their guard down way too much with bears in my opinion. It is rare for them to attack but that is not to say they don't.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

MY RANT....

1st off I hope the guy recovers fully from his injuries.

I guess it's ok to kill this bear since it's in the north, seems that the London police were doing they're job by preventing a bear attack, where were the Coldwater police? That guy should have used all his "bearwise" knowledge they drill into your head up north. Why wasn't the poor bear trapped and brought to some happy place in the north rather than giving it the death sentence, was the nearest bear patrol officer 3 or 4 hrs away?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a nusiance bear is a nusiance bear no matter where it is, don't give us "southererns" a hard time about our problems when you have the same problems which you told us you were ready to deal with (in the London bear post) right in your own back yard.

jjcanoe

You call Coldwater North????

according to 680news, victim was scouting hunting grounds when attack happened.

So really, the bear just got even...only he did it first.

Now all the people are gonna gang up on it.