Bear Attack..

NAW

My parents are about a mile or so where that took place. Not a tonne of bears but it's not odd to see 1-2 a week. They had one up on the porch last year that knocked over the BBQ and licked the grease off it for about 20mins or so, lol.

Isn't "Grimesby" in southern Ontario?

Yes it is in the banana belt, and the politicians here avoid any and all discussions pertaining to hunting like the plague.

I grew up just outside Mactier, til 1970, when the family moved us to the "festering sewer". Couldn't get out of there fast enough. Never managed to find enough work to make moving back permanently a possibility. A good portion of the family is still strewn across the 'Skokas and Haliburtons. They were the smart ones.

First you have to convince "Southern" urban voters, and their political majority that banning the spring hunt was a mistake. That won't happen until there have been some maulings close to home.

Now thats where you're wrong, we did not vote to kill the spring bear hunt, nobody did, it was killed by the P3Ta wackos pressuring the Ontario gov't. it was not an election issue and the hunt cancellation was a HUGE suprise to all with very little (if any) public consultations, the general public had absolutly nothing to do with the cancellation regardless of where they live.

Also, if in fact that the majority of the vote is in the south as well as the population, doesn't that mean the majority of the hunters are also in the south? I find it unlikly that they would be the cause of this....

The hunt was killed by P3Ta wackos (a huge global entity and plenty live in northern Ontario)

jjcanoe

Guest Johnny Bass

I was out fishing yesterday when a guy came by and told me about the bear attack only a few meters from where I was fishing. Apparently the guy was crouched down doing gardening, and the bear took him for an animal.From what I understand the bear was not killed and the ministry relocated it.

The locals say it is possible the bear could have had a cub in the vicinity but still blame the call off of the spring hunt.

I guess they called off the spring hunt to make the bears do their thing, but still, I think it is time to thin out the population considerably, at least in the south. If not during the spring, during the fall.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Planting a "garden" in a crown forest! Amazing how that smell brings everything in .. even bears it seems! :whistling:

I heard the same story. What would you been planting on crown land? Hmmm. Not too sure. Maybe just some flowers or rose bushes to spruce thing up a bit. :whistling:

Many deer hunters have started planting 'food plots' where they use atvs or even farm tractors to scarify the ground and plant seeds which attract and hold deer during late fall. Seems this victim was doing something like that when the bear attacked. Many forms of wildlife benefit from such plantings.... this bear did too unfortunately for the victim. Stuff like clover, wintergreen, turnips, other stuff. Many companies have started to promote such plantings to grow huge antlered bucks and such. I think some of the promo is 'Bull' but at least it gives a reason to go out and plant wildlife food plots which help many of our forest friends. I do believe that during deer season that deer are more prevalent near such plots vs on neighbouring properties. Does and their young go there so bucks will follow during rut.

Guest gbfisher

I heard the same story. What would you been planting on crown land? Hmmm. Not too sure. Maybe just some flowers or rose bushes to spruce thing up a bit. :whistling:

Geralds a good guy. I've known him for years. I was shocked to see his name/face in the paper. He works hard at everything he does. Gardening as well. If he was planting anything besides what is being assumed here, you would have heard about it no doubt. <_<

Missed seeing him out on the bay over the passed few weeks. I hope he heals fast.