Best method for killing a fish?

So I'm curious, I've only been fishing a few seasons and been keeping some of my catch over the past year. I've always found it a bit difficult to kill the fish quickly. I usually will give it a swift whack to the head and sometimes it'll knock it out, other times it takes a another whack or two.

I've seen others bleed them to death (even on the spot) and others break the spine.

I'm interested to know what's everyone elses opinion on it? I think a quck death is better than a slow one. I'm mostly referring to walleye, perch and pike.

i bring an old cooler.. throw them on ice and they start to "fall a sleep".. and in the mean time while fishing it keeps ur drinks cold.. tho i have had to knock them out with a few methods.. but my girlfriend doesnt exactly enjoy that method

I used to break the spine, but have recently begun using one of those small wooden bats, that are about 20" long. It fits in one of my rod holders perfectly, and actually came with the used boat that I got a few years back. One swift shot to the head, and they fall asleep. :sleeping_02:

Only used it once or twice on fish that are mortally wounded.

You can get the glow in the dark "fish bashers" at crappy tire, same thing..

For consumption it is better to bleed them first.Cut their throats and hold them by the tail to bleed, better done at the water. If there bigger I just give em a good punch to the head. Maybe this is a good thread to see everyones priests (bonker) cause I have seen some dandies in my time on the water. I don't have one. :rolleyes:

I had never seen, no heard of a priest until I spent a couple of summer vacations in Scotland. Everyone carries them there, and some are quite elaborate, and even lead filled. Here, if we're keeping them to eat, it's on the stringer until we get back to the camp, then a swift beheading, (I make custom knives, and this is always a good test). It's always interesting to see how long the pike head will keep snapping after it's removed from the body.

I wait for them to finish spawning and then die like salmon :D ...If I was a fish, I couldn't think of any better way of going :lol:

Most of the time I just dump them into a cooler full of ice or if they're big enough, take a branch and whack them on their head...With that said I rarely keep the fish I catch.

I've never tried bleeding a fish but from what I've read, the meat tastes so much better.

I use a priest - not a very elaborate one though...

9730_.jpg

Seems to be the easiest, most humane way to me.

Same here, I use a priest followed by bleeding them. After they are brain dead their heart will beat for up to 10 minutes which is enough to bleed them out.

Edited by Dutchy

Wow so many quick replys, thanks :)

I think I'll take some of the advice here and try bleeding them after knocking them out next time, sounds like a simple way of finishing them off & getting the blood out to keep the meat fresh.

Cheers

Actually I have a homemade bat that a friend wood worker turn out of Pennsylvania White Ash that we would get as firewood from "The Bat Factory" in Akeley Pa...my high school friend Brad could make anything from wood and with his lathe it was a easy chore and something I have had for over 30 years...it's much heavier than any of the cheap pine ones you sometimes see sold in tackle stores.

Edited by Billy Bob

Eat a mean ceaser salad with lots of garlic before you go fishing, then breath on them when u bring one into the boat, they should drop :stretcher: and be going for a long :sleeping_02:

But on a more helpful note, we have tried bonking and cutting. What seems to work well is to bring out the bonker and then cut. I agree with Dutchy, It still seems to drain well and for sure there is a big difference in the flavor.

Here's the method I use. Take your filet knife and insert the point in the top of the head and come down between the eyes half an inch..... instant kill.... no fuss no pain :)

Leechman

That's the method I use if my club is't in the boat. It does work well..

Question for the guys who bleed the fish. How much of a difference does it really make in the flavour of a fish?? Does it make it less "fishy", or what??

That's the method I use if my club is't in the boat. It does work well..

Question for the guys who bleed the fish. How much of a difference does it really make in the flavour of a fish?? Does it make it less "fishy", or what??

day and night is the difference...as anything your going to eat ....bleed it out ...and when cleaning remove the lateral line....

My method of bleeding a fish out is slice the gills and poke the tail on the lateral line with your fillet knife...let the heart pump the blood into the river...

Edited by Twocoda

All depends on the type of fish I guess.

I just throw panfish or walleye in a plastic bag and stick them in the fridge. Then clean them once they're dead and cold. I find them much easier to clean after being in the fridge also.

Never had any complaints from anyone eating them after doing this.

Eat a mean ceaser salad with lots of garlic before you go fishing, then breath on them when u bring one into the boat, they should drop :stretcher: and be going for a long :sleeping_02:

But on a more helpful note, we have tried bonking and cutting. What seems to work well is to bring out the bonker and then cut. I agree with Dutchy, It still seems to drain well and for sure there is a big difference in the flavor.

but I thought fish like Garlic ?!