May 19, 2006 Report w/photos

TennesseeGuy

Better late or better never? We'll find out.

Pete Cay was our driver for the flight to Little Vermilion late Friday afternoon on May 19, 2006, which was the day before walleye opener. We managed to get in a few hours of pike fishing the first night. Due to the early spring we didn't find pike or walleyes in the usual spots during our nine day stay in camp. Mark and Adam (OFNers on the old board) from Green Bay, WI were in camp for the May 6 week and they boated plenty of fat pike. Our fish were on the move and well scattered over the lake. Most had been off their feed and showed it with their skinny bellies. We got our share of fish, but had to work hard to find them. I managed to land at least one 40" or better on 7 of the 9 days we were on the water. Our fishing was well below the usual opening week. Walleyes were there for us although we caught small to medium fish. They did well in the fish cooker and even better on our plates.

Here's my first fish of the trip and she bit on a 1/4 oz jig and 3" grub. Got her in the deeper water just above the second rapids of Rathouse River.

Above_2nd_rapids.__Jig___grub.JPG

This one came in the afternoon of our last day just off Walleye Point, again on a jig and grub.

Walleye_Point___Jig___grub.JPG

This was the weakest May trip I can remember, but I'll remedy that by going in May 11 or 12 in 2007 for a three week visit. -----if the ice is gone by then. We caught fewer and smaller pike than any other May since I've been heading north. They were not hitting big baits and they didn't seem to be hitting walleyes. We didn't catch any walleyes that had been taken by pike and we didn't have pike hit walleyes as we brought them in, which was unusual.

We'll see how friendly this picture posting is for me and maybe I'll add a couple more.

Beauties Connie ! Don't keep your eyes closed too long...those gators might eat you! And as for Peter Kay..I was asking in a thread about Birch Lake if that was the Beech 18 you were telling me about...or was it the women's 18? Guy was looking for info on Birch Lake up there and flying in with Kay...been?

Wayne, I've been on both, but don't know anything about Birch Lake. Our party of 6 took off in Kirsten's 18 a couple of years ago for a 140 mile flight to Cobham River Outpost. Without weighing the load, she left a case of beer and a case of water on the dock. The floats were riding high. I'll never ride with her again. Her equipment is good and she's a good pilot, but I don't want any more rides with her.

Late in our stay we fished the mouth of Nungesser River and were pounding walleyes while viewing a great Canadian sunset, when a strong storm moved in from the north and chased us to our cabin before the pike moved in.

From_mouth_of_Nungesser_River.JPG

What goes around comes around, but can take up to 44 years. In 1962, Virg had just finished his junior year of high school when we took him on his first fishing trip to Canada. This was his second trip and he along with Jim, another high schooler from back then helped me get up and down the highway last May. I've learned that it takes well over a year to recover from the types of back surgeries I had, let alone less than 5 months of recovery time for me when we headed up yonder last May. The two youngsters, who are now drawing social security, did most of the driving while I was flat on my back on the second seat of the truck. I called in a favor and they responded.

My lack of smiles in the fish photos was due to pain. Ever see one of those 1-10 pain charts. I was putting out sixes, sevens and maybe eights on the pictures I didn't post.

Virg_headed_in_for_meal.JPG

We made it back to our cabin before the storm got too close and here's a shot of some hail from our cabin door.

Hail_yes.JPG

Jason, you could come along if you didn't have so many snow days to make up.

Tom, I'm into this mostly to get myself jump started.

Awesome reports! Those are some beauty pike you got there! I Hope your back is all healed up....fishing in pain isn't always fun....unless you catch something that raises your adrenaline enuf to make you forget about it for a few minutes!!

I hope this is a sign of things to come for me this June, but the fishing may be tougher by then for those big girls.

If those are skinnier fish than you usually see I want to see the fat ones. And thank you agian TG for the information you gave me on LV before. Those pictures are really getting me fired up.

Lumberjack

Now there's a report I've been waiting a long time to see!!!!

Nice to hear from you Connie. I love your skinny pike! Wouldn't mind a couple of those, but I know what you mean since I've had the pleasure of reading your previous reports.

Best of luck this year.

Hey TG, I know a little spot on the petawawa river. Kind of borders the base and the park. Helicopters patrol there and the conservation officers. But doesnt worry me on which side Im on as I would be in compliance. It sounds that there is a flury of activity but its really remote. I know a hole for Huge musky but have not caught it yet. I figure no matter what, we'd have fun. I think we could catch a lunker. Id love to have you as a partner/friend.

Thanks

Looks good TG! Does that mean I'll be seeing you this spring? We (my Dad and I) will be at Kevins for the walleye opener. Wayne, its not too late to join us you know! (or anyone else who wants to for that matter)

Edited by Dano

Thanks for the kind responses.

Dano, I'll be fishing Little Vermilion in May and will make it to Nungesser the August 4 week. Send a note in a bottle down the Nungesser River and I should get it. The mouth of Nungesser River is great for walleyes and big pike when the water warms up a little, which is usually around the fourth week of May.

About the skinny pike, I try not to have my picture made with one because it makes me appear fat. Most slim pike don't get a photo opportunity. Here's one that barely made the cut.

Skinny_pike.JPG

Edited by TennesseeGuy