Are bluegill/pumpkinseed/sunfish (not bass) tasty?

Mykester

As a kid my dad would always tell me to throw them away, we deemed them as "junk" fish because they wouldn't let the perch to the hook. It could be that in the motherland they didn't have sunfish but perch were plentiful, as well as different species of panfish. And growing up, the only people I've seen taking these sunfish were white bucket fishermen. I've seen a few reports here with sunfish being kept. What's the final verdict?

You have been missing out... cold water sunnies are just as tasty as perch or crappie in my opinion... but what do i know BURP! Oh yeah, I just finished a plateful from yesterday!!! :thumbsup_anim: When they are a good size (8"+) they are much easier to fillet.

Edited by Fisherpete

It's too bad that McDonalds can't use bluegill/sunfish in their Fillet O' Fish sandwich...

A breaded bluegill/sunfish fillet is just the right size for a hamburger bun...some lettuce and Heinz tarter sauce...YYYUUUMMMM

Yep, great to eat, finding ones of any size can be a problem, they are out there though. I didn`t mess with them unless they were 8 inches or more either. A friend had a pond that they grew big in, 10 inches or more. On light tackle they can be fun to catch.

It's too bad that McDonalds can't use bluegill/sunfish in their Fillet O' Fish sandwich...

A breaded bluegill/sunfish fillet is just the right size for a hamburger bun...some lettuce and Heinz tarter sauce...YYYUUUMMMM

Thats an interesting concept.

McDonalds selling some thing with REAL meat/fish in it. :dunno:

Thats an interesting concept.

McDonalds selling some thing with REAL meat/fish in it. :dunno:

I saw a feature on TV that showed that McD uses some kind of Australian "trash" fish in their Fillet O' Fish...had a face on it like a mackeral...Go figure !!!

Gills and Pumkinseeds are awesome! Too bad some tourists operators think Canadians consider them to be garbage fish. They could use the extra business if they promoted it wisely.

We have been getting some decent gills in the shallows right now. Don't bother downsizing your baits either, the small guys can't seem to get the hooks in their mouths.

Also remember, if you are fishing the Kawarthas, the new regs show you can only keep a limit of 30 Crappie, 50 Perch and an astounding amount of Sunfish. 300 Sunfish, with only 30 of them over 7.1 inches.

Even better if wrapped in baacon and melted cheese

Just watch out the yellow grubs in them. The seem to be the most popular fish with yellow grub problems from my experience.

yuck hate those pillsbury boy grubs !! They crawl after you dug them out of the flesh of the

fish.

blush.gif

dsn

Too bad more people don't keep them and release their sportfish...they are called panfish for a reason. Like Steve said out of cold water, delicious...same goes for rock bass (believe it or not)!!

At Algonquin we'd always catch about 20 rock bass pushing 9 inches, and a good amount of smaller ones thrown back. Good eating.

Just watch out the yellow grubs in them. The seem to be the most popular fish with yellow grub problems from my experience.

yuck hate those pillsbury boy grubs !! They crawl after you dug them out of the flesh of the

fish.

blush.gif

dsn

I've thankfully never come across those, what is it exactly? Mind you I've never bothered fileting a sunfish just perch.

Yellow grub are very common in perch, in fact I've seen them in just about every species of fish I've cleaned over the years. Chances are you've eaten them. w00t.gif

http://www.michigan....26966--,00.html

I've only been fishing a few years, sounds disgusting lol. I've caught them with black spots out of bass lake in orillia. That was pretty disturbing.