$1...for air?!

ColdH20guy

so I dig out my mountain bike from the back of the shed....as expected the tires are a bit low so I bike down the street to the gas station air pump...pull up and new sticker on there now..$1 for air....what the hell?

What happened to the good ol days when it was free...then it went to .50 cents..never thought we would be paying for air...brutal

Needless to say, I biked home with the tires still a bit low...

So you want to use their $5,000.00 compressor for free?

And when somebody cuts the hose they should fix it so you can get free air?

Maybe just put your lips down to that nozzle and blow.

:whistling:

easy does it! wow.....I was only making a general comment and you go and blow it out of proportion..must be the air up there where you are..cant even make a comment on here anymore...

used to be that they would at least donate the money to charity (or at least say they would)

the air pumps at PCanada cost $1, but sticker also says you can ask for complimentary air from the attendant - which is what I always do without any problems.

lol,.....the concept does sound funny. But the service is there for your convenience and the money is invested to get it to you so yeah........theres gotta be a charge. $1.00, well, i dunno bout that. I dont use the service much but it used to be .25 cents. Ive noticed .75 now. But not a buck.

Anyway, this is why i asked for a little black and decker air station for x-mas a while back. Only use the gas station air in emergencies.

You think air is bad.......it doesnt get half the rise outta me as a $15.00 parking spot to watch a hockey game.

used to be that they would at least donate the money to charity (or at least say they would)

the air pumps at PCanada cost $1, but sticker also says you can ask for complimentary air from the attendant - which is what I always do without any problems.

Last year when i had a slow leak on a tire and only had to top it up when i got fuel i quickly learned that all Shell stations have the free compressor. It was a matter of convience to not always have to have quarters on me when i fill up like at other stations.

I still try to only use shell just out of the loyalty that i feel from those days. the bonus airmiles they give don't hurt either :thumbsup_anim:

Okay! I have to comment on this statement! Yes, I actually do expect the air to be free! I buy gas, ciggarettes, pop, coffe and an assortment of other items from your freaking store, so the least you can do in order to express some resmeblance of customer service and appreciation, would be provide a working FREE air compressor for my tires!

Personally I think it is this "me first" and "only if I get paid for it will I do it" attitude that is ruining our society Remember those days when a business owner would actually appreciate your hard earned dollar? You know... when you would go to a service station (They should now be called no service stations) and there would be a person waiting at the pump, ready to fill your tank, clean your windows and top up the oil and tires for you? Society seemed so much nicer then! Now we have jack asses that speak to you through a speaker on the wall telling you to pre pay or fill! It seems as though there just isnt any appreciation for our business or buck any more. It really is a disturbing trend.

(This was not directed at you Dara, as I am sure you were being sarcastic.)

AB

Edited by Abraxus

Okay! I have to comment on this statement! Yes, I actually do expect the air to be free! I buy gas, ciggarettes, pop, coffe and an assortment of other items from your freaking store, so the least you can do in order to express some resmeblance of customer service and appreciation, would be provide a working FREE air compressor for my tires!

Personally I think it is this "me first" and "only if I get paid for it will I do it" attitude that is ruining our society Remember those days when a business owner would actually appreciate your hard earned dollar? You know... when you would go to a service station (They should now be called no service stations) and there would be a person waiting at the pump, ready to fill your tank, clean your windows and top up the oil and tires for you? Society seemed so much nicer then! Now we have jack asses that speak to you through a speaker on the wall telling you to pre pay or fill! It seems as though there just isnt any appreciation for our business or buck any more. It really is a disturbing trend.

(This was not directed at you Dara, as I am sure you were being sarcastic.)

AB

exactly what he said!!

Charging for air now? Probably just inflation. :P

hahahahahahaha... nice...

Up here, its impossible to find a station with a compressor... Ive had my own little one at home for a while now...

please notice the little whistling emote. If they had a guy stirring a pot, I would have used that one.

The Husky here still has free air, some places are a buck...but at least its clean air

Get an air compressor from Canadian Tire and keep it in your car. These are cheap and they are small.

They will inflate footballs, soccer balls and similar balls.

They will inflate an air mattress when you go camping.

They will inflate bike-cycle tires.

And of course they will also inflate car tires.

carp-starter

Here’s the other side of this free air from someone that use to run a gas station.

A few years back I was a Sunoco dealer, here in London; at a station that had service bays (almost a thing of the past) and it was the dealer’s responsibility to look after the free air meter.

The thing cost me any where from 600-1000 bucks a year to maintain. People would beat the living crap out of it; trying to stretch a 25 foot hose to 30, throwing the nozzle/gage on the ground; just to run over it as they left. I found the meter lying on the ground one morning; after somebody ripped it out of the wall?

Sunoco at the time wouldn’t let me put a coin-op in; when it came time for me to renew my contract; I insisted they take over the air meter’s maintenance; which they did; the next year the coin-op went in.

It’s the people that abused things that screw it for everyone else; in this case, it doesn’t have anything to do with customer service. Actually the places that still have the coin-ops are doing their customer a service, by even having one. Because people still beat the crap out of them; as if it’s the fault of the machine, their tires went flat.

Most of these coin-ops are not owned by the service station; but by companies like Airserv. The station supplies the hydro to run it and whatever company would look after the machine and the monies that came out of it. Never could get a strait answer out of the guy that serviced the machine; as to how the money was distributed to whatever charity they claimed to support? All I ever got from him was a smile, as he cleaned the money out of it?

Now after saying all that; I’ve moved away from Sunoco and I have a free air line set outside my service bay door, for anyone to use; but I watch it like a hawk and it comes in at night when I leave. LOL

Dan.

I can understand both sides of the story here....but regardless of cost, i'll gladly pay for it in a jam, is every gas station should have a pump.....I actually had an emergency and was stranded at a station that didn't have a pump...had to wait an hour until finally somebody pulled in and had a pump in his truck....

I agree that gas stations or garages should have some form of air supply for their customer’s use; coin-op or not.

Plus for me as a garage owner; it gives me a sales opportunity; when I go out a talk with the people. You know that tire you’re filling every other day; I can likely fix that for you. LOL

Now I’m going to date myself here; but I can remember helping kids with their bike tires at the air pump; now that they’re grown up; I’m fixing their cars and helping their kids. LOL

Dan.

Edited by DanD