Ideal Family Vehicle???

sconceptor

What is your ideal family and recreational/sport vehicle?

I'll be in the market this fall, and am keeping an eye out now and starting research.

Past 2 vehicles have been Ford Explorer's and my friends work at the Ford dealerships in town, so I trust their service. I've had no issues with my Fords!

Considering mileage, I might down grade to a Escape. Considering my size, I might want the size of a Explorer for comfort. Escapes aren't necessarily roomy.

I require a hatch back, for my 1 piece rods(or 2 piece 13footers), and it's easiy access. I require something with enough power to tow a 15foot aluminum boat, trailer and a few hundred pounds of gear, on about 800km road trips a few times a year. I require it to handle a logging road in Quebec, 80km takes 2hours. Worse than the ride into Biscotasing. Likely having a child in the future, so room is important to the Misses, and she'd prefer something economical.

Considering all this, I think I'm looking at an Explorer again in the 2006-2007 year range.

I might consider a F150 crew cab, but what do you do with the 1 piece rods, if you don't have a locking cover for it and the boat doesn't have rod lockers?

Guest nuker

Ford Flex Ecoboost.

What is your ideal family and recreational/sport vehicle?

I'll be in the market this fall, and am keeping an eye out now and starting research.

Past 2 vehicles have been Ford Explorer's and my friends work at the Ford dealerships in town, so I trust their service. I've had no issues with my Fords!

Considering mileage, I might down grade to a Escape. Considering my size, I might want the size of a Explorer for comfort. Escapes aren't necessarily roomy.

I require a hatch back, for my 1 piece rods(or 2 piece 13footers), and it's easiy access. I require something with enough power to tow a 15foot aluminum boat, trailer and a few hundred pounds of gear, on about 800km road trips a few times a year. I require it to handle a logging road in Quebec, 80km takes 2hours. Worse than the ride into Biscotasing. Likely having a child in the future, so room is important to the Misses, and she'd prefer something economical.

Considering all this, I think I'm looking at an Explorer again in the 2006-2007 year range.

I might consider a F150 crew cab, but what do you do with the 1 piece rods, if you don't have a locking cover for it and the boat doesn't have rod lockers?

I agree with Caribou...if you have had no issues (other than mileage) stick with the Explorer. To get the necessary room and capabilities, you are going to have to sacrifice somewhere.

I currently have a Pontiac Torrent...fine when it is just two of us going, but, add in the three boys and not nearly big enough!!

I had a Dodge Durango Hemi for yrs until my wife was in an accident and wrote it off. It was a great truck but tough on gas. After the accident I bought an '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser (no Toyota jokes..LOL). It's an awesome vehicle for city driving and off-roading. It's much bigger inside then what it looks. After driving an import, I don't think I'll ever go back to a domestic.

My 2-cents.

Colin

We got a Flex AWD and a Mazda Tribute V6 AWD (Ford Escape in camo)about a year ago and I'm happy with both. I'm not a small guy 6'225# so I wasn't sure about the size of the Tribute/Escape but it turned out to be fine for me. The Flex is much bigger and does everything my minivans have done in the past only quieter and smoother. It also tows Garry's Ranger nicely. Whether you can find a Flex on the resale market in your budget remains to be seen as they haven't been around that long.

JF

Ford flex is supposed to be awesome. We are looking at them right now, along with acadia (my favourite but apparently has some bugs) and highlander.

Echo what randy said about the expedition as well. I had one for 2 months for work....it was hell on gas, but a super nice ride.

I had a Dodge Durango Hemi for yrs until my wife was in an accident and wrote it off. It was a great truck but tough on gas. After the accident I bought an '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser (no Toyota jokes..LOL). It's an awesome vehicle for city driving and off-roading. It's much bigger inside then what it looks. After driving an import, I don't think I'll ever go back to a domestic.

My 2-cents.

Colin

There isnt anything wrong with the Toyota's more than the domestics. It's just a lynch mob right now to promote better sales of domestics. I'd love to have an FJ I have a 96 pathfinder and its a pretty good vehicle with 300,000 kms on it

Edited by Caribou

I have a Honda Ridgeline and love it. Drives like a Accord with all the amenities of a truck!!!

Scooter

I got rid of a Pilot (Ridgeline without the pickup box) last year after 4 years of happy driving. It was a leased vehicle and the residual was too high (I thought) so I let it go. Found out later it sold for the residual at auction. I guess they're as good as folks say. :P

If I'd only thought about it I probably should have just bought it when I had the chance.

JF

There isnt anything wrong with the Toyota's more than the domestics. It's just a lynch mob right now to promote better sales of domestics. I'd love to have an FJ I have a 96 pathfinder and its a pretty good vehicle with 300,000 kms on it

You drank the kool-aid!!LOL

I wouldn`t mind an FJ!!

we've got a dodge dakota quad cab and a dodge durango. both do the job just fine. small box in the pickup but put all ur rods in one corner with the rod tips facing the back of the truck and ur fine. strap all ur rods together and ur good to go. u can even use a bungee cord to hold them in the bed of the truck if ur really worried.

the durango its just huge, (we have the older model, before the made them look like a minivan on roids...) holds everything we need it too. lots of space for rods.

the f150 has a much larger box in it and will hold some rods no problem. even if u lay them in on an angle. or u can do the same thing i mentioned above if u have more stuff to put in there.

I would love an FJ cruiser for myself, but if money was no object, I'd go for the Toyota Venza as a family vehicle. I respect Ford for not taking any taxpayers money in a bailout but the one Ford I owned needed the engine and transmission replaced. I guess that's why they say "Have you driven a Ford lately?"

I would love an FJ cruiser for myself, but if money was no object, I'd go for the Toyota Venza as a family vehicle. I respect Ford for not taking any taxpayers money in a bailout but the one Ford I owned needed the engine and transmission replaced. I guess that's why they say "Have you driven a Ford lately?"

A car that's arguably better than the Venza (and certainly bigger) is the Mazda CX9. Its bigger (longer) than the highlander (smaller than the acadia, maybe the pilot as well) but drives like a sports car.

And being a Mazda, its actually from Ford (albeit made in Japan, whereas many toyotas and hondas are made here).

A car that's arguably better than the Venza (and certainly bigger) is the Mazda CX9. Its bigger (longer) than the highlander (smaller than the acadia, maybe the pilot as well) but drives like a sports car.

And being a Mazda, its actually from Ford (albeit made in Japan, whereas many toyotas and hondas are made here).

F-150.Clamps holding the ARE hard tonneau on the long box are ready made rod holders.

I love my Ford Freestar as a family vehicle. Unfortunately Ford is not building family vans any longer. It has been very reliable on long trips, towing the boat and 4 heavyweights. Not necessarily the purdiest things on the road but great family vehicles, have the tow rating, hold the gear, but my neighbour swears by his Honda van.

I currently own a 2000 Honda Odyssey which I have been happy with it is a very powerful minivan but after I finish driving it to the ground

I have my eyes set on the new Chevrolet Traverse.I could really use AWD at the boat launch on occasion.Not quite as much space as my van but close to it.Just as good on gas as my van if not better.281hp AWD plus it can carry up to 8 passengers.I like Fords myself I am totally in love with the Ford F150 but not ready for the big vehicle just yet.I think the Explorer is a fine vehicle but the design and technology has grown outdated and I am not impressed with the gas mileage compared to the Traverse.Traverse has more room than the explorer and the Flex.Having 3 kids I need the extra room to keep the peace while driving on long trips.

I also drive a 2009 Chevy Malibu my 5th one in 10yrs I am really impressed with the reliability of this vehicle because I can tell you the much older malibus were in the garage quite often.68 000kms so far so good!I may just go for the traverse next year when it is time to change my malibu.GM's reliability has impressed me.

You should really take a look at this vehicle.You will miss the extra room of the Explorer if you down size to an Escape.

If you want used the GMC Acadia is its cousin.Not many vehicles in this class with fuel economy like the traverse .A 6 speed transmision has you revving 1600rpm at a 100kph.

Good luck with your next purchase.MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike