Interior painting-NF

ColdH20guy

Hi guys,

I usually like painting and it has been on my 'honey-do' list over the winter so I can play (ie-fish!) this spring/summer. Anyway, moved downstairs and decided to strip the wallpaper on the upper half of the wall; of course it doesnt come off in a neat and flat manner. Most of it peeled away but some areas were left with bumps or ridges. I sanded the edges of the bumps down so that hopefully it would blend in with the edges/rest of the wall but seemed to be eventually sanding right down to the drywall compound. Needless to say it looks like crap and wondering if a power sander would help at this point..I am wondering if I should paint right over the wallpaper for the rest of it with a bull's eye primer and then the paint so it also doesnt look like crap..

any ideas or thoughts appreciated..

thanks guys

Rich

Edited by ColdH20guy

You can paint over wallpaper assuming that it is well adhered to the wall, in particular the seams edges and corners. Run a light coat of drywall compound down each seam and smooth it with a damp sponge, don't try to sand it. A good quality primer sealer is required before the finish coats. Bear in mind that any raised pattern on the wallpaper will show through the paint.

I would spend the time to do it once properly and remove it, fill any areas that need it and sand smooth. It is worth it in the long term.

Another, albeit more costly in both time and materials, option is to apply new drywall. 3/8" would be plenty, but this means removing trim, adjusting electrical devices etc. The end result is worth it in terms of a perfect finish.

I've had good luck renting a steamer to remove the wallpaper, durn near all the adhesive came off and surface prep was minimal sanding, scraping & filling afterwards. The steamer was fast, did a kitchen, bedroom & living room/hallway in less than a day, and the cost was well worth the result. Make sure you have adequate towels/rags handy to wipe down the surface as the wallpaper comes off and it will save a ton of the harder scraping & sanding.

Good Luck!

Michael

Is this wallpaper application the dip in water and it self adheres? Or was it old school and they actually used a secondary adhesive to apply it. If its just dip and stick..........theres alot of stripper products out there to loosen the paper and scrape it off with ease. The key is using a perforating wheel to make the outer layer of the paper porous so the stripper reaches the backing of the wallpaper seperating it from the wall with a good soak. OR alot of times the first layer of paper will peel really easy and leave the backing paper , in this case just spray the backing paper as this will now soak the stripper up on its own. Ive done many a room, and i always say......Im SOOOO glad i did it right the first time. Best thing you could do is put those sanders down as youll usually find you left yourself with a bigger eye sore than you started with.

Are the wals Plaster or drywall? If thier plaster your in luck.if thier drywall not so much. When I have to deal with wallpaper I usually remove the thin plastic- vinal layer on the top. Then your left withthe paper behind.Take some hot water and some liquid dish soap and spray it on the paper.Note the vynal layer has to come off first in order for this to work. If its drywall be carefull how much water you use. If it's plaster let er have it! If there are just little bits left stuck here and there just reaply more water and scrape till its all gone. When your satisified you have done the job correctly, let it dry and apply some primer. I like to use oil base primers with a high pile roller. I let the primer dry real good.(24hrs) and pole sand the ever living crap out of the wall untill its smooth.Then your ready for your paint. If I were you I would never paint over the wallpaper. You will regret it in the long run.Hope this helps!

Is this wallpaper application the dip in water and it self adheres? Or was it old school and they actually used a secondary adhesive to apply it. If its just dip and stick..........theres alot of stripper products out there to loosen the paper and scrape it off with ease. The key is using a perforating wheel to make the outer layer of the paper porous so the stripper reaches the backing of the wallpaper seperating it from the wall with a good soak. OR alot of times the first layer of paper will peel really easy and leave the backing paper , in this case just spray the backing paper as this will now soak the stripper up on its own. Ive done many a room, and i always say......Im SOOOO glad i did it right the first time. Best thing you could do is put those sanders down as youll usually find you left yourself with a bigger eye sore than you started with.

What he said! Except if you have drywall..paper tigers actually pierce the drywall too.the stripper can get behind the drywall paper causng havoc..

as someone said above putting some dish soap in the water will help alot. I stripped some wallpaper a couple of weeks ago and had to soak the paper three times to get it all off, after peeling off the vinyl on top.

What he said! Except if you have drywall..paper tigers actually pierce the drywall too.the stripper can get behind the drywall paper causng havoc..

Yeah, thats true.............dont press too hard when using the paper tiger.......in my case though, all my walls had coats of paint on the drywall before they were papered

thanks alot guys...feel better now..it is the type where the first layer came off easy and we just sprayed the backing with water to soften it..will see how it goes..will likely remove the rest of the paper...uggg thanks everyone!

you want to know the absolute best way to remove wallpaper?

Downy fabric softener diluted with water 2 parts water one part Downey. apply with a spray bottle. Let sit for 5-10 minutes re-apply as needed.

I promise you the wall paper will come off with ease using a scrapper.

I have removed alot of wallpaper over the years as a GC, and this is a cheap DIY solution to purchasing expensive "removers"

Let me know how you made out after using my method. As nothing could be more simple.

G.

Edited by Gerritt

Downy fabric softener diluted with water 2 parts water one part Downey. apply with a spray bottle. Let sit for 5-10 minutes re-apply as needed.

I have removed alot of wallpaper over the years as a GC, and this is a cheap DIY solution to purchasing expensive "removers"

Let me know how you made out after using my method. As nothing could be more simple.

G.

Gerrit don't know much; but he does know how to strip............... :lol:

G.

If you want it easier yet buy a weed sprayer & apply what he said hot water & soak it, when you think its wet enough wet it again, painted for 20+ years

Richard

Can't vouch for the home remedies other than warm water with vinegar and a paint scraper. Also have rented a steamer in the past which does work.

Whatever you do don't just paint over the irregularities that you have left behind or else you will end up with a very messy unattractive paint job. Patch up any gouges left by scraping, after you tear a couple of chunks out of the drywall you will learn the technique and not create more work for yourself. I have stripped more wallpaper off than I want to remember, every house I have owned or apartment I have rented had wallpaper which I had to strip off. That is why I never ever plan to apply wallpaper to any house I ever own! :angry:

Also don't just paint over wallpaper without removing it first, leaves an amateurish lazy looking paint job because the seams always show.

If all fails then take a trip to the beer store, it works wonders too, all it takes is a few splashes on the wall and a couple of bottles in your belly and all is wonderful :D

great advice pikehunter! lol

The paper comes off okay; I think it is taking part of the actual drywall with it in places and you're right about painting over the irregularities; looks like crap. I will tackle it some more...I have some more compound that I think I will spread over the area rather than keep sanding.I think I was sanding right into the drywall as it was quite dusty when I sanded....

cheers

Edited by ColdH20guy