NF- putting the dog down-NF

BUSTER

Question .....and just a question that a few of us were having a discussion about...

Is it legal to put your own dog down on the farm via firearm of significant caliber in ONTARIO ONLY?

Iam talking about an old hound dog who's day has come

.not some young pup because you dont want it any more. :angry:

the Vet wants close to $300.00 to Euthanize

not looking for your opinion, only wanting to know if its legal?

on a farm, it seems so

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livest...thanasia_cc.htm

The decision to humanely end the life of an animal may be necessary in cases of severe injury or disease or as a result of disasters such as fire or flood. On-farm euthanasia may be the most practical and humane way for a livestock producer to relieve an animal's pain and suffering if it is unfit to travel, or to prevent drug residues from entering the food supply.

Whenever possible, livestock producers should consult with a veterinarian before deciding to euthanize an animal. The following questions will help in deciding whether to treat, slaughter or euthanize an animal that is injured, extremely weak or disabled:

• Is the animal in pain or distress? If yes, consider treatment.
  • Is the animal likely to recover? If yes, consider treatment.
  • Does the animal have the ability to access feed and water? If yes, consider treatment.
  • Have medications been administered? If yes, check withdrawal period.
  • Have drug withdrawal times been cleared? If yes, consider slaughter.
  • Can the animal be humanely transported? If yes, consider slaughter; you will need a veterinary certificate to transport the animal.
  • Does the animal show any clinical signs that you don't recognize or that you recognize as a reportable disease? If yes, you must contact your veterinarian.

Methods of Euthanasia

Euthanasia must be performed in a way that minimizes fear and anxiety in the animal. Good stockmanship practice dictates that producers have an ethical and moral responsibility to provide a humane death for animals in their care, without causing additional pain or suffering.

There are three basic methods appropriate for on-farm euthanasia: overdose by barbiturate; stunning with a penetrating captive bolt, followed by bleed-out; and gunshot. Each method has advantages and disadvantages. Euthanasia by barbiturate overdose must be performed by a veterinarian. Producers who choose the captive bolt pistol or gunshot method must take precautions to prevent serious injury to themselves and others.

To choose the most appropriate method for your operation, consider human safety, animal welfare, required skills, costs and other factors.

Table 1 outlines the three methods and considerations for each. Method Human Safety Animal Welfare Skills Required Cost Other Overdose by Barbiturate Intravenous administration of a barbiturate Restrain the animal Excellent rating Proper technique for intravenous injection Veterinary fee Can only be administered by licenced veterinarian

Information your deadstock collector of the drug residue in the carcass

Penetrating Captive Bolt Penetration of the skull and brain by captive bolt, followed with bleed-out by cutting all the main arteries and veins in the neck Restrain the animal

Be cautious of falling or thrashing animals

Good rating

Correct cartridge strength, target site and penetration angle on animal is essential

Correct and safe use of captive bolt pistol

Correct and safe use of sharp knife

Low - after purchase of captive bolt pistol Results in some body movement

Results in large volume of blood that requires proper disposal

Gunshot Penetration of the skull and brain by bullet Restrain the animal

Be cautious of falling or thrashing animals

Be extremely cautious about bullet ricochet

Good rating

Correct size of firearm and ammunition, and correct target site and penetration angle on animal is essential

Correct and safe use of firearm Low - after purchase of firearm Results in some body movement and blood

Requires firearm acquisition certificate

Local by-laws may prohibit the use of firearms

<a name="penetrating">Penetrating Captive Bolt and Gunshot

An experienced person can produce rapid unconsciousness in an animal by using a penetrating-type captive bolt or shot from a firearm which is aimed at the correct target site and penetration angle for the species and age of animal. The same anatomical targets and penetration angles are used for both a penetrating captive bolt pistol and a firearm (see Figure 1 and Figure 2).

Penetrating Captive Bolt

• Ensure the animal is well restrained.
  • Use the appropriate cartridge strength for the animal (refer to the manufacturer's manual).
  • Place the captive bolt pistol firmly against the animal's head on the target site, and shoot.
  • Be careful to avoid injury from thrashing limbs when the animal collapses.
  • Cut both the carotid arteries and jugular veins in the neck with a sharp knife to bleed-out the animal after stunning. These arteries and veins are on both sides of the throat.

Gunshot

• Ensure the animal is well restrained.
  • Plan to shoot outdoors when possible.
  • Have a backstop (e.g., an earth berm, manure pile, or something that will stop the bullet if you miss or it over-penetrates) behind the area you are aiming at.
  • Use a firearm and ammunition that are appropriate for the size, age and type of animal. The ammunition used to euthanize an animal must be powerful enough to make the animal immediately unconscious and to penetrate the head deeply enough to destroy the areas of the brain that control breathing and circulation.
    • A shotgun using Buckshot cartridges that contain 6 pellets weighing a total of 30 g, or a 9 mm or a .357 calibre firearm, can be used to successfully euthanize most cattle older than six months. A larger calibre firearm will be needed for large bulls.
    • For calves aged six months and younger, .22 calibre "long-rifle" hollow-nosed ammunition is generally adequate.

[*]Hold the firearm 5-25 cm (2-10 in.) from the target site. To avoid personal injury, do NOT place the firearm muzzle against the animal's skull. Aim the shot down the line of the spine so that the bullet will enter the brain stem (the beginning of the spinal cord), and shoot.

[*]Be careful to avoid injury from thrashing limbs when the animal collapses.

Target Site and Penetration Angle For cattle older than six months, the captive bolt or gunshot should penetrate the skull at the intersection of lines extending from the lower base of each side of the horn bed to the inside corner of the opposite eye as shown in Figure 1.

my understanding is it is not. the family dog is considered a 'companion animal', and its treatment is different than that of 'livestock' - which is a commodity with essentially no rights. not out of any law book i'm afraid, just my recollection of a previous discussion. it is legal to do all kinds of things to cows and pigs that would be considered inhumane to our pets, including slaughter and consumption.

sorry to hear about yer pooch.

Here's my opinion:

1. If its the right thing for the dog, do it.

2. If it feels right to you, do it.

Legal or not, I don't know, but if it was me and the dog had run its course, and was suffering...........

Putting down his dog is one of the hardest things a man has to do.

S.

From what I recall...you can shoot your dog in the case of an immediate and acute suffering (i.e. hit by a car and death is imminent) but for other chronic issues like old age, etc. it has to be done by a vet. This prevents Jim-Bob from opening his own $20 euthanasia service.

Talk to your vet about the price. Euthanol isn't too terribly expensive.

I'd pay the $300 vet bill before I'd shoot my dog. If you loved that dog, you owe it to him. A gun shot might be quick and he might die immediately but I couldn't do it to mans best friend. I just couldn't. I can understand not wanting to pay that much, which I think is too much, but it's your dog. Don't do it.

$300 bucks or not.........ya take that dog in to be put down softly and humanely while your holding his/her paw for their last moments as a last gesture of comfort for the animal. Not standing a foot away from them with your finger on a trigger. If moneys an issue because you just dont feel like spending $300 psssshh........if moneys an issue because its just not there.....borrow , beg, or steal.

I had to help a buddy with his rottweiler last year. Seems to me it was much less than 300.00 (150.00 comes to mind). However, he did bring the dog back for burial rather than have the vet handle the final details. Not sure if this is an option for you or one you explored yet.

Michael

You guys have it all wrong..

This is a question being asked if it's legal or not

This isnt a thread about if you'd do it or not..if its right or if it's wrong, not a question of if you have the money or dont want to spend the money etc.....

the discussion is if someone was to do this would it be legal? thats all folks nothing more.

If you asked your neighbour how old rufus is doing and he said that he had to bring him to the farm and put him down, is that legal?

nothing more than that people.

You guys have it all wrong..

This is a question being asked if it's legal or not

This isnt a thread about if you'd do it or not..if its right or if it's wrong, not a question of if you have the money or dont want to spend the money etc.....

the discussion is if someone was to do this would it be legal? thats all folks nothing more.

If you asked your neighbour how old rufus is doing and he said that he had to bring him to the farm and put him down, is that legal?

nothing more than that people.

I think perhaps you are the one that has it all wrong.....you can't expect to ask a question like that on a forum like this and then censor the replies.

Maybe just looking for a reaction???

It's tough to put down an old friend. I had my dog put down a few years back at 12 years of age, his back legs were paralyzed by hip dysplasia and arthritis. If you are out on the farm and can actually look him in the eyes when you pull the trigger, do it. As for it being legal I'm not sure but I don't think too many farmers in this great province pay for euthanasia. Most old dogs tend to 'disappear'. I spent my summers growing up on a farm and none of the neighbours took their dogs to the vet to be put down.

I suggest if you truly want to know if its legal or not you consult a legal expert like a lawyer and not a fishing forum because ultimately you will get a lot of opinion that although valid in a moral or ethical debate may not steer you to the correct legal decision unless a lawyer is on the board and takes the time to research the answer and post for free.

I'm sure its something that is done whether its deemed legal or not.

This kind of post is a can of worms for a forum discussion.

I suggest if you truly want to know if its legal or not you consult a legal expert like a lawyer and not a fishing forum because ultimately you will get a lot of opinion that although valid in a moral or ethical debate may not steer you to the correct legal decision unless a lawyer is on the board and takes the time to research the answer and post for free.

I'm sure its something that is done whether its deemed legal or not.

This kind of post is a can of worms for a forum discussion.

I agree although to consult a lawyer he'd probably have to pay more than the cost to euthanize.

If it feels right to you and if it's legal than do what you feel is right. I know it's not up for debate and you're not seeking advice but there is just no way I could turn a gun on my own dog. It would be too visual for me to take.

Edited by Governator