walleye and whitefish

limeyangler

Hi all,

was not planning on going fishing until i bumped into a local guy called Al in the fishing aisle in Walmart. As you do you get chatting about this and that and i said i'd heard someone had been catching whitefish right off the landing at a lake where i'd failed to find them yet in the winter(have caught them there in the summer whilst walleye fishing).

As it turns out the person who'd got them was him! I said "man...i feel like going fishing now" he says "you going?" ....i says " yeah.....i think i will".....as i say this i take a sideways look to see the reaction on my missus's face, she did not change expression....which means i'm good to go....lol. Al says he's coming along and will show me where he got the whities....an hour later we were unloading my snowmachine at the lake!

It litterally is 100 yards out from where you come on the lake, but its a 2 mile rough track in so a snowmobile is a good option. We set up and it was all 6' to 13' FOW. Al said the whities were hitting in that depth the other day....but i drilled a couple holes at the bottom of the drop off and thats where all the fish were today.

Did not take long for the first whitefish that hit my Perch Jiggin' Rap that i'd decided to try after finding perch minnows in the whitefish we caught yesterday at a different lake. Second one was a bigger one but snapped me off right at the whole....DARN IT....LOST MY PERCH JIGGIN' RAP....NONE LEFT IN TOWN EITHER!!!! Lost a couple more...they bite so light.....and got 3 in total. It was a little bit weird cuz all Al got was the pike, we were fishing not more than 8' apart at one stage but he did not even get a bite from a walleye or whitefish......but he took it a lot better than i would have...top man!

Then the sun started to set and the walleye bite was on fire....nothing over 17" but when the bite is on its great fun....running from hole to hole as both lines were going at the same time. So all in all a great little afternoon session, got my first whitie from this lake through the ice and got a walleye supper each thrown into the deal....SHAAAAAWWEEEEET!

Here's the Vid.......

GOT OUR WALLEYE SUPPER EACH

IMG_0181.jpg

Thanks for the report. Always a great read. Whitefish in 6 fow, eh? Maybe that's why I haven't been able to catch a whitefish through the ice at the cottage. I have caught them in 3 fow in the fall and spring, but that's around the spawning grounds. I would think that I would have caught an incidental catch by now while fishing for pickerel. Was there deep water in the immediate area? We are going up to the cottage this weekend to try and catch the elusive fish, but people are fishing at 60 to 70 feet. Maybe I should try the shallow waters.

Good job on the pickerel!

Thanks for the report. Always a great read. Whitefish in 6 fow, eh? Maybe that's why I haven't been able to catch a whitefish through the ice at the cottage. I have caught them in 3 fow in the fall and spring, but that's around the spawning grounds. I would think that I would have caught an incidental catch by now while fishing for pickerel. Was there deep water in the immediate area? We are going up to the cottage this weekend to try and catch the elusive fish, but people are fishing at 60 to 70 feet. Maybe I should try the shallow waters.

Good job on the pickerel!

Thanks DP,

I dont know about heading that shalllow just yet. like i said....i drilled some holes out deeper in 20 fow and thats where all the fish came from. I have caught them in shallow in summer, winter, and fall but i tend do do better in water from 15 FOW all the way to 60 FOW....but its worth a shot going shallow if ya dont find 'em deep eh?

ive got most of my whitefish in the shallows to! sometimes even in 3ft of water. i've watched them down my hole, no need for a fish tv!

I've yet to catch them that shallow...sounds cool though watching them under the ice. All the fish the other day were in 20 fow even though we drilled shallow.

ive yet to see "light biting" lake whitefish. when you see a "light hit" its actually a whitefish swimming around the bite bumping into it. i watch the whitefish down my hole and theres 4 or 5 of them swimming around it almost like claiming their terriortory or whatever and they tend to run into the lure. then out of nowhere one swims by quickly and steals it from the rest! pretty neat watching them.

Hey Simon...well done buddy..missin the laker adventures with ya but i see you have been doing well. Wish I was there to enjoy a few hours of slushy madness.... by the way did ya ever hit the brookie bonanza???

DALE! HOW YA DOIN BUDDY! Hell man...where are ya....did ya make your way back East? This guy Al kept talking about taking me to a lake down the 502 for lakers, he said it was about an hour from my place.....said the trout were almost black....i had to laugh cuz he was keeping the name a big secret until i mentioned the lake we went to starting with V. sure enough it was that lake! he looked a bit dissappointed that i already knew (thanx to you) his secret spot.....lol. Nope, i never did get round to the brookies this year......the weekend we were goin to go but never got round to was the weekend i got my first Musky out in front of the house....the ice was soooooo friggin late this year! PM me anytime to catch up man....like you said, missing our trips waste deep in slush!

ive yet to see "light biting" lake whitefish. when you see a "light hit" its actually a whitefish swimming around the bite bumping into it. i watch the whitefish down my hole and theres 4 or 5 of them swimming around it almost like claiming their terriortory or whatever and they tend to run into the lure. then out of nowhere one swims by quickly and steals it from the rest! pretty neat watching them.

I have had both types of bite, sometimes they look like trout on the Sonar....they come in....Slam IT! fish on!...other times you gotta get ready to set the hook as soon as you feel the slightest tap....and i mean slight. watching them like that makes me wanna get an aqua view...yeah...with the record feature so i could add it to my videos....that would be neat!

Ahhhh Simon....nice report man! I haven't even been on the board for the last few days, never mind wet a line. But I KNEW I could come on here and fine some NWO goodness :lol: Nice haul!!!

I was wondering where ya'd got to JB. My pooter has been poorly...so this is the first time i've been on in 3 days or so.

Nice report! and thanks, now I'm hungry.

WOW...still hungry? youd think that nice wally in your pic would have fed ya for a while....lol

Great report, pic and video Simon :thumbsup_anim:

Awesome that you get to meet a local guy (Al) at Walmart, go fishing together and hook into those multi specie beauties B)

Can't get any better than that :clapping:

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing

Jacques

Thanks Jacques, yeah, Al is a nice guy...we went out again this weekend....somebody forgot his camera <_< He fishes more than me even!

A Fine bunch a eyes right there.... B)

Thanks WSP....it had been a while since i'd had wallweye for supper...to much time searching for lakers i guess.