Great Lures That Caught You Squat Last Season?

CLofchik

Here is a pic of my most dissapointing lures. None of these lures have caught me a fish. I have used them all for substantial periods of time and I have owned them all for at least 2 years. I do still try to use them because most of these lures cost me close to between $10 and $20 each :angry::angry:

Starting on top of pic.

1. Bass Magnet Eyecatcher (Canadian company. I really wanted it to work but no luck) Catches your eye, not fish. That goes for most soft swimbaits for me as well. THey look great in the water but fail to produce.

2. Lucky Craft RC 2.5 Bream. Great action, no fish ever.

3. Sebile Magic swimmer. Everyone on the bass tour raves about it. I have used it countless times in the past 2 years and have come up with a big goose egg!!!!!

4. Sebile flatt shad. Used it (both sizes) and had a follow up once

5. Lucky craft wander. Very rare lure that can fished many ways. When it sinks it wobbles just like a senko Often called a hard senko. No fish!

6. Bagley's chatter shad. I have owned it for 22 years and no fish.

7. Rapala clacking rap (or whatever it is called). Used it all last year and nothing.

8. Lucky craft pointer 78 and 100. I lost my 100 and the 78 has caught me nothing.

9.Lucky craft sasara minnow. Looks great but does not run properly. Does not have any action at all.

I realize that others will have had success with these baits but not me. I am pretty sure that one of my lures here the pointer 78 is Steve Robotham's favourite jerk bait. lol

In this pic is almost $200 of non fish-catching plastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

bad_lures.JPG

I'm a BIG fan of these 3 Storm Lures..... They helped me catch countless ESOX during the 2008 season..

The lures were TRASHED by fall of 2008..... :stretcher:

I bought replacements and used them confidently during my 2009 season...

I didn't even get a ,boil a swirl ,tap, bump, nudge, strike, hit, slap, splash, tic, or follow. :wallbash:

Strange how that is....

I will try my best to use them confidently in my 2010 season.... I hope my luck with these will change..

lures002.jpg

RFS

:canadian:

I have that X-Rap in the first picture, It hasn't caught me anything but snags for over a year now..but I saw Dave M fishing and landing some bass with it on a show.. but, cameras can lie...

YOU WATCH YOUR MOUTH!!!

Other people's cameras may lie but not Dave's (how'd I do mods?)

Jim

I'm a BIG fan of these 3 Storm Lures..... They helped me catch countless ESOX during the 2008 season..

The lures were TRASHED by fall of 2008..... :stretcher:

I bought replacements and used them confidently during my 2009 season...

I didn't even get a ,boil a swirl ,tap, bump, nudge, strike, hit, slap, splash, tic, or follow. :wallbash:

Strange how that is....

I will try my best to use them confidently in my 2010 season.... I hope my luck with these will change..

lures002.jpg

RFS

:canadian:

Randy, this year, that bait on the right was absolute money for me with the pike.....

Chris

1. Storm plastics. (grubs and "senko" type baits) They'll end up in the garbage when I need the room.

2. 6" perch Reef Hawg. I know they are supposed to be a classic baits, but I can't get it to do anything. I haven't quite given up on it yet. Maybe I just can't fish glider type baits. I was kinda disappointed with my Hellhounds and Phantoms too.

3. Double showgirls and double bladed DC8s in different colors. I have a number of lures that didn't catch a musky last year, but some of them didn't get a lot of time in the water. I threw these a lot, and nothing to show for it. I'd put on a single bladed Mepps and catch fish.

Here's mine:

nofishlures001.jpg

I believe the top two are smithwicks and the botton one is an expensive ($12) Japenese make...looks great but 1 rock bass is all it attracted...

None have been wet for over three years...I've given up casting them... :angry:

I have to second the Rapala Clackin Rap. Gave it many tries over prime deep weeds were I knew there were nice largies and 0. Would go back to a convential spinnerbait and bang, even tried traditinal cranks in the same spot also caught fish.

Probably gave the lure 10 hours of honest use.

I have a triple jointed Lucky Craft that has never done anything.

I've had no luck with Yozuri lures. The Pin's minnows have no action but I used them enough to see that they also catch no fish. I have on large banana style Yozuri with great action and even though I use it quite often I still haven't caught a pike on it. Way over priced.

X-Raps have been great for me on walleye.

Ripplin' Red Fin.....I think I haven't caught anything on those. Almost impossible to tune right.

Storm swim baits......the walleye will hit them every now and then but the hooks are too heavy and won't penetrate past the barb no matter how sharp they are.

Walleye Diver.....maybe it goes too deep for the walleye in my area.

Norman Lures fat lures deep diving.....not expensive but no fish so far. However, there are no bass in my region.

Jointed Rapalas ..... been using them for years.....no fish. I find a few of them here and there, put them in my tackle box and lend them to others....still no fish.

Shad Rap.....still my best producer of fish from brook trout to pike....sizes SR5 and SR7 in natural silver with black back or crawdad have worked the best.

Edited by Dabluz

1. Storm plastics. (grubs and "senko" type baits) They'll end up in the garbage when I need the room.

Wow, are you serious with the senkos Andy?

Are you using good ones (like YUM Dingers) or cheap imitations with no salt etc? Man Senko type worms have caught me loads of fish over the past two years. In fact that is what I have caught most of my smallies on. Are you using them right?

PM me if I can help.

Jim

When I think back on last year I didn't really buy too many lures

Best for 09

Dollarama blue/gold topwater chugger

Dollarama green chartruese 4" minnow

YUM Money Swimbaits (smallies knock the crap out of em in Temagami)

Worst

BPS Nitro Minnow

SPRO Frog $10 and first fish ripped it apart

ANY PLASTIC STORM MAKES JUNK JUNK JUNK

xraps are the most productive lure for me in the st. mary's river for 'eyes but i've had very little success outside that system with them.

in the river however, they can't be touched.

What retrieve method did you use? I could not catch a thing with the xrap with a constant speed retrieve (fast, or slow), so I started using a "3 foot quick pull then pause for 5 seconds" retrieve (in the same area of my previous casts) and bam! Largemouths were biting the rear treble with the white feather.

Edited by Syn

I have a bunch of lures that look good but produce squat.. And I also was suckered into buyin a bag of those Storm WildEye Swim Shad which I thought were gonna be great and got nothing with them.

On the other hand, my fave lure from last summer was this dancin eel..

Yum%20Dance%20Eel%20Tadpole.jpg

I have had good luck with pike and bass on that.

The lure that caught me absolutely squat last year would be the Little Cleo!.....Yes, I know, amazing as it sounds.....The worlds most vesatile lure in my opinion (There is, I believe, a cleo color pattern and size available for any given possible situation;ie: jigging, casting, trolling). But, will I say that the Cleo is a un-productive bait?......Only a fool could say so! Do I own probably almost every color pattern and size? Yes!...............I will continue to fish with this spoon, based on fellow angler's sucess rates, and will someday catch a fish on a Cleo!

Rapala X-Rap, some people manage to catch fish with them but I never had much luck with them. I did okay with them, but my main gripe is with their longevity, these have to be flimsiest piece of crap I've ever cast with. Even drum were stripping paint, flexing the hollow body enough to leak and generally thrashing baits rather quickly for their price point. I even went so far to do autopsies trying to figure out how to extend their life. The internal rattles...they're made out of mild steel, so as soon as you have a leak it's only a short period of time before they rust together into a solid lump of crud. Wasn't impressed for a $10 overpriced bait.

I've landed walleye, pike and bass on them like no other rapala i've used. I usually am ANTI-Rapala, but for bass and pike they seemed to be magnets when worked properly in the water. I havent done anything spectacualr with them for Walleye but they do work well I know that.

As for the paint stripping I havent had one problem with this.

One mans opinion :)

Wow, are you serious with the senkos Andy?

Are you using good ones (like YUM Dingers) or cheap imitations with no salt etc? Man Senko type worms have caught me loads of fish over the past two years. In fact that is what I have caught most of my smallies on. Are you using them right?

PM me if I can help.

Jim

No, I love the real Senkos and have had good success on the Yum baits. It's anything by Storm that's been a waste of money.

Last year was a year of trying new lures and techniques I have hundreds of baits and usually only throw 4 . SENKO WATERMELON ,YUM BUZZ FROG GREEN, 6"RAPALA MINNOW CLOWN, 3/8 JIG&GRUB WHITE which covers all my fishing needs bass ,pike ,walleye.So I forced my self to try different colours styles and techniques,

Storm WildEye Swim Shad been trying to catch a fish on it since they came out with ZERO success

Walley divers very limited success

Smithwick minnow zero but throw a rapala over the same spot and would catch fish

Chatter baits ZERO

And the biggest surprise to me due to others success I have yet to catch a bass on a flippin jig maybe its me but I cant seem to catch a bass on one of the biggest BASS fishing staples the common JIG AND PIG :dunno: