Toyota Recalling 2.3 Million Cars and Trucks

craigdritchie

Gotta dig pretty deep if you've got to go back to the Corvair Billy Bob !! And there was nothing wrong with the corvair... Nadar just couldn't drive a rear engined car and as a young punk lawyer used it as an opportunity to become famous and line his own pockets.

I'd be taking notice of what Tybo just tried to tell you. If your vehicle is on the recall list.. this is a safety recall.. not a mfg recall. Your vehicle is considered unfit to be on the road if you can't prove compliance.

Edited by irishfield

Sounds like the same arrogance I put up with on the black jack table, all last week, when suggesting to the guy beside me not to stand on 13/14/15 when the dealer had a face card!

...gonna take them a LONG time to print out 2.3 million letters and mail them. They contacted you once based on our model/VIN..... I'm sure a quick call to your dealer will confirm you're effected!

Edited by irishfield

And there was nothing wrong with the corvair...

I owned a 61 Corvair back in the day and it was great little car and a lotta fun to drive, infact with the rear mounted engine and good snow tires it was one of the best winter cars I've ever had.

Only problem I ever had was the serpentine belt that snaked around the top of the engine, then down the rear over the pullies and back to the top again. Busted 2 of them in a year.

I own a 2007 TUNDRA and it hasn't been back to the dealership since I purchased it in 6/07....got the silly letter from Toyota that my TUNDRA "might" be involved with the recall because of the floor mats.....my factory floor mats are anchored down with hooks so they cannot slide under the accelerator pedal....needless to say I haven't heard back from Toyota since about Oct '09.......but if my truck was under the recall all you had to do is remove the frigging floor mats until you took it back in to Toyota for them to probably install the anchor hooks that prevent the mats from sliding forward and MAYBE under the accelerator pedal.........IS THIS THE BEST THE TOYOTA HATERS HAVE TO HANG THEIR HATS ON.......GIVE ME A BREAK.

Does Toyota pay you for every reply?

If so, you must be making some great money.

Stop taking this as some personal attack and go get your damn truck fixed before you end up on darwinawards.com

Does Toyota pay you for every reply?

If so, you must be making some great money.

Stop taking this as some personal attack and go get your damn truck fixed before you end up on darwinawards.com

Yep, they pay me for every post... :P

Can't fix something that's not broken (yet).... :rolleyes:

Fact is, every auto manufacturer in the world has had to recall vehicles for safety concerns. If you want to see how your own vehicle measures up, check Transport Canada's auto recall database, at http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/7/vrdb...h.aspx?lang=eng

Billy Bob .... I'm not a 'Toyota hater' as you call it, but I understand that no manufacturer is perfect. If you check the database, you'll see the Toyota Tundra has had seven safety recalls since 2000. That's seven recalls in 10 years. Three of those recalls apply to the 2007 model. Might be worth taking it into the dealership. Better safe than sorry, after all.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Thanks for that link Craig!

No recalls on my SUBARU!!!! :D:P I did find a couple on my wifes VW Jetta though, thanks!!

Suck it up Billy Bob. Take the tundra in for a check, you never know what they might find!! It could save your life!! As much as it hurts your pride, you really should have it looked at!! You'll still have a good truck!

S.

Edited by Sinker

Yep, they pay me for every post... :P

Can't fix something that's not broken (yet).... :rolleyes:

Your right its not broken its a design problem that could happen but why would you take a chance like this you may as well cut your own brake lines cuase your truck could get stuck at full throttle and that is a very powerful truck to be stuck wide open.

Toyota still isn't being upfront and honest about the accelerator problem. We all remember when there was a series of unfortunate accidents where many innocent people died one case where a man and his family were going down the interstate when this happened,they had called for help and then the phone went dead ...all were killed. Upon Toyotas own investigation they "concluded" that the supposed "oversized" mats were the root cause. Prompting a mat recall/replacement.....case closed....NOT

Then it was determined that on a couple of these cases the owners in fact had no mats in thier vehicle....one being a Lexus...This man survived thanks to the road ending and he ran into a field...upon a further investigation promted by the owners testimony it was determined that it was a sticking accelerator. This prompts another safety recall to replace the assembly....case closed..NOT

It has been stated on a couple of the accident reports by the victims that the pedal in fact took itself to the floor almost like a cruise control kicking in... is this case closed , I think not. This will continue until Toyota recalls and replaces all defective ECM's . This will be a last resort as this will cripple Toyota..... With the ammount of accidents caused by this defect, % wise corporate bean counters determine that it will be cheaper for them to pay out lawsuits rather than issue a total recall.

This is not the last we will hear of this. I,m sure of it.

I just can't wrap my head around the inability to turn the key to OFF! :wallbash:

...or at least put the car into neutral, who cares if the motor blows up at that point. I can understand the panic though, my first car was a '77 Cutlass Salon, and once the pedal stuck on me, scared the crap out of me, all I could think to do was stamp on the pedal a few times and thankfully it released.

I just can't wrap my head around the inability to turn the key to OFF! :wallbash:

Won't the steering lock up if you turn the key off? I was thinking throw it into neutral. That way you would still have steering and brakes.

Can't count the number of times a throttle return spring broke

Same thing happened to me on a '65 Pontiac but as you say Wayne, not a big deal, just slip it into neutral and turn off the key. Unfortunately though, alot of folks panic when something unforseen happens, specially at hi-speed and before they figure out the problem it's far too late.

One click back... still steers ! No point blowing a motor up over a stuck pedal. Can't count the number of times a throttle return spring broke dragging at Luskville Qc... or other non-legal places for that matter. Shift quick or shut it down...

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going to go try it right now.

Hope you're right.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going to go try it right now.

Hope you're right.

Unless something has changed drastically lately. First click unlocks the steering.. second click turns the electrics on.. momentary turn one more forward starts it. Not sure how these new push button start things work without keys...

Unless something has changed drastically lately. First click unlocks the steering.. second click turns the electrics on.. momentary turn one more forward starts it. Not sure how these new push button start things work without keys...

First pickup I drove had a push button starter, well it was more of a spring loaded plunger above the gas pedal on the floor. you had to heel and toe it along with the gas pedal to get it starrted, once you turned the key on and pulled out the choke. Yes things have changed drastically. :o

Got a Infinity G35 in the driveway with push button and I have no idea. I have to start it up to put the windows up

I've been suspicious of this "floor mat" thing from the first time I heard it. I hope nobody gets hurts or dies because they were hoping the problem would just go away and delayed the needed recall for the real problem for months.

Got a Infinity G35 in the driveway with push button and I have no idea. I have to start it up to put the windows up

Well if you can't use the windows or anything without the thing running.. maybe someone should look into announcing another National Safety recall on these things! Does it not have the ability to run accessories without starting the car?

First pickup I drove had a push button starter, well it was more of a spring loaded plunger above the gas pedal on the floor. you had to heel and toe it along with the gas pedal to get it starrted, once you turned the key on and pulled out the choke. Yes things have changed drastically. :o

LOL Dave... ya been there, dont that too... I was looking at about 69/70 onward with a locking steering column !!